Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson?

IanHenry

I'm looking for help with choosing my next Gibson, and I know this is a silly question before I start.

I currently have a Les Paul Classic Antique which I love, a Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute which I never play an ES 335 which is my most used guitar, a Takamine Acoustic which I never play a Yamaha 180 which I never play, but it has sentimental value, my Father bought it for me when I was a child and a Yamaha AC3M which is a fantastic acoustic guitar.

My problem is that I've been suffering from a frozen right shoulder (Capsulitis) and this makes sitting playing guitar for any length of time pretty uncomfortable, to say the least, so I was thinking of getting an ES339 to play instead of my 335 (I've no intention of selling it)but recently I had the opportunity to play a number of different guitars at the Gibson Memphis factory, and one that stood out was a J-15 acoustic. It was way better than any of the other (more expensive) acoustics that I tried, even my Wife thought it sounded great (She shows indifference to the sound od any guitars, she's only bothered by how they look).

So the question is:

a. Should I buy the ES339 which would help me with my shoulder problem

or

b. Buy the J-15 which will certainly not help with my shoulder problem, but struck a chord with me the moment that I picked it up (forgive the pun)

Two completely different guitars and I know it sounds ridiculous to be comparing the two, but I'd love to know your thoughts.

Ian

First off; very sorry to hear about the shoulder problem, Ian.

Hopefully something can be done to rectify the situation. I wish you good luck with that.

As you (and the wife!) were so impressed by the J-15 I'd go with that option.

In my (possibly not very well informed) opinion the 339 - nice guitar though it most certainly is - doesn't offer much 'new' over the 335 which, you say, already gets the most exercise.

If you got the 339 then you'd be diluting the semi-time between two essentially pretty similar instruments.

The J-15, OTOH, would bring something fresh and different to the party.

JMHO.

P.

Thanks Pippy,

The shoulder will get better, but it will take anything between 18 months and 3 years, so I think it may be (eventually) getting better (good excuse to buy a new guitar though!) but yes the J-15 is a wonderful guitar and incredible value for money. As you can probably tell I was quite taken with it. I also think all the new lower end Gibson acoustics are pretty good, here's Robert Plants guitarist demonstrating the J-35:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-SKew_dxc

Ian

If you are looking to shave some weight, how about an es390. It will be similar, yet different (since its hollow) than the es335 or es339 and be easier on the shoulder. Sounds like you play more electric than acoustic.

1. Hope the shoulder gets better.

*2. Time for a Gibson acoustic; can you play it before you buy?

3. And, should I buy a new Tacoma 6 cyl with an SR5 package?

Good luck on the guitar, re: Gibson acoustic vote here.

I wanted to get a 335 but opted for the 339 because I'm 5'8" and the 335 just felt too big for me. I've played both and I really don't think you'll get anything out of the 339 that you don't already have, as was stated here. Go with you gut though. It's never wrong.

Thanks for all your suggestions guy's. Yes I'm leaning towards the J-15, I've always wanted a Gibson acoustic. If the one in my local dealer sounds anything like the one I tried, then I think it could well be coming home with me.

I've noticed that some people have commented that the J-15 sounds "boxy", but the one I played sounded great, although I can se how the newness and lack of being played in could be described as boxy, but I'm sure that will wear off

As quapman say "shoulder be damned", this is Rock and Roll, not the Girl Guides.

Ian

My opinion will be skewed because I really have no affinity for listening to or playing acoustic guitars... I love electric guitars and electric guitar Blues!

I see that the ES339 is a more diminutive option and between the quite light weight and the smaller more comfortable body size, I suspect it might a more comfortable option for you to spend time playing right now keeping your arms closer to your body and closer to a more natural resting position...

And I just want an ES339 badly for myself too!

But stay true to yourself and do what you want and what makes you happy!

Sell one of the other guitars and get both. I would prefer the es-339, and now soon there will be the new studio cheaper model coming out.

http://www2.gibson.com/products/electric-guitars/es/gibson-memphis/2014/es-339-studio.aspx

same price at GC though coming soon.

I don't want to sell my current Gibson's, the only one that I would consider is the Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, which I never really bonded with, I don't know why that is. The Takamine however would be redundant if I bought a J-15, but I probably wouldn't get very much for it, maybe a couple of hundred quid.

Ian

Buy what you want to. I sure there are probably utube videos on both guitars. I know there is on es-339, except I bought an Epiphone last year and it works fine and even has coil taps on it, although I doubt if I use that much.

Also I have a Vox amp that has an acoustic setting on the Valvetronic which is acoustic enough for me. Then in Epiphone are ones (LP I think without looking) that have the nano-mag pickup, but they only have one tone control and three volume controls so.........................well there are utube videos on that also.

The J-15 I would have to look up and see if there is a video, and I think I read that you already have a es-335 but the smaller size of the es-339 is really nice, might just want to try one out anyway for the heck of it.

Buy, don't buy !

[smile]

Been around both except the J-15.

Archived