Gibson Brands Forums

Put on some DR Dragon Skins 12's PB today….

onewilyfool

Any of you try these? They are coated but NOT coated like Elixir's, still have a rough feel to them like an uncoated string. Sound pretty good right out of the box!! Will keep you posted on how they sound and how they last after a few more hours of hard play…..lol…..any of you guys try these before???

I was always happy with my gibson master built 52/12 's but since I started reading all these string threads about Pb's and now Dragon Skins ( marketing ploy) can't seem to be satisfied .....

Currently on a Thomas Infield plectrum craze $$$ doesn't mean good to a tin ear.....?.?im going back to the MB's ...My head hurts...did I mention I'm def in one ear... You can spend $100's on a $10 dollar ear...

I've been playing them for a few days…..good sound right out of the box. If they are coated, I can't tell, nothing like Elixirs. The strings feel just like a "normal" D'Addario string texture wise, BUT they are a really DRY string. If you know what I mean. Lots of squeaking when I play (I'm used to slippery Elixirs) Very rough texture, and also a very dry sound. VERY good for percussive playing, but NOT a string for open tunings and new age playing styles. Good for blues, and country, and rhythmic rock. My main thing is to see how long they last. I just eat through non-coated strings, and always looking for good alternatives to Elixirs….(cause they are pretty pricey) I have tried and rejected Cleartones, just a terrible product. Jangly as hell, and I don't like the feel. I think Cleartone does the coatings for Martin coated strings too….so they are off the list. Any suggestions greatly accepted!!!

Tried a set of the DragonSkins and although I liked the sound, I couldn't get used to the rough feeling, especially on the unwound strings. Don't let the Cleartone coating keep you from trying the Lifespans, they sound completely different. Not as slippery as Elixirs but last nearly as long and sound a lot like them. Plus, they're a lot cheaper than Elixirs. [thumbup]

Archived