Gibson Brands Forums

Does Gibson have any guitars with EBONY fretboards and Bridges???

onewilyfool

So do all the blinged out fretboards get Ebony??? I don't know if there is any "sonic" advantage to Rosewood or Ebony, but somehow I would prefer that a guitar have Ebony Fretboard…..just a preference from an aesthetic POV

OH….and my L-20 has Ebony….one of my favorites!!!

I still see it spec'ed for a few Gibson Acoustic models. In the electrics (Gibson USA and Gibson Custom), they've really cut back - many models on which ebony was previously the spec now spec out with richlite, creating a bit of controversy on the higher priced models.

I just read that Taylor guitars is now using Ebony on the B&S as tone wood? Pretty dense wood…have any of you played one? Is it heavy? Similar to any tone wood you can compare it to? I would like to see Gibson do a few like that!!!

I think I saw a YouTube video where Taylor Guitars bought about all of the ebony forests. I guess they have a lock on ebony, forcing Gibson and other guitar builders to resort to using other materials. Pure black ebony boards are fast becoming scarce, used only on higher-end models. "striped" ebony is now being used a lot. I kinda like the "striped" look, but the all black is a gem to play on. Martin guitars presently lead the way in ebony boards!

Archived