Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LarryUK

Virus help.

I've got a problem and I'm not sure how to sort it. I know some of you are 'savvy', so..Last night all of my contacts in my Hotmail account got spam emails from me. So I changed my password. But they've had them again today. I sent a test email to myself and another spam email was sent alongside it. My laptop blocked it as spam. But how is it doing it? Any advice?

A couple of years ago I had a similar situation, but I just put a complex password with a word, capital letters and numbers. Since then everything is fine

I would suggest that you use Malware Bytes -- it's the one that doesn't seem to let these little suckers sneak in like Norton, Symantec and the others do.

you can use the trial for 30 days, then $24 (USD anyway) bucks for the full version and you can license three PCs with it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Because this happened after you changed the password you can be pretty sure you have a trojan on your own computer. I suggest downloading and running spybot search and destroy first. My second recommendation is eset smart security as an antivirus/firewall. It's very good and won't slow your system down significantly.

Because this happened after you changed the password you can be pretty sure you have a trojan on your own computer. I suggest downloading and running spybot search and destroy first. My second recommendation is eset smart security as an antivirus/firewall. It's very good and won't slow your system down significantly.

Agreed. I've been using Eset Nod32 for years and it's never let me down. It's what a lot of schools in my area use.

-Ryan

I would suggest that you use Malware Bytes -- it's the one that doesn't seem to let these little suckers sneak in like Norton, Symantec and the others do.

you can use the trial for 30 days, then $24 (USD anyway) bucks for the full version and you can license three PCs with it.

Get the free version of MalWare Bytes and use it manually - don't let it run resident (the paid version) I work software support and a significant number of our customers problems come from Malware Bytes interference. It does a nice job blocking the bad stuff, but you're going to start hating your computer if you let it run resident. It really hurts performance.

Macs aren't immune to viruses either, though. I just pulled 3 Trojans off the company owner's personal macbook 2 weeks ago. I'm a big fan of malwarebytes for an after the fact situation on Windows PCs (and Clamxav for Macs), and Avast for a full time antivirus solution.

Guest Farnsbarns

Not trying to be a wise guy but buy a Mac.

Yeah, why wait for spyware to infect your PC when your MAC OS can spy on you right out of the box? [flapper]

Get the free version of MalWare Bytes and use it manually - don't let it run resident (the paid version) I work software support and a significant number of our customers problems come from Malware Bytes interference. It does a nice job blocking the bad stuff, but you're going to start hating your computer if you let it run resident. It really hurts performance.

could be right, I did the free version and ran in manually as well.