Gibson Brands Forums

1940s J-35

derekw14

I am considering selling my J35, two tone bar, from 40-41.

Refi/stripped top (probably originally a sunburst), the rest looks original; some cracks and fretboard dips repaired by a competent SF bay luthier, no further work needed.

Plays and sounds amazing. No original case.

What do you think is a fair price?

thanks!

I am considering selling my J35, two tone bar, from 40-41.

Refi/stripped top (probably originally a sunburst), the rest looks original; some cracks and fretboard dips repaired by a competent SF bay luthier, no further work needed.

Plays and sounds amazing. No original case.

What do you think is a fair price?

thanks!

Pics at https://picasaweb.google.com/109038728813601508557/GibsonJ35?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLz64OWamrT2Lw&feat=directlink

I would start at $4,000. While I know the refinished top is a kick in the teeth, it is also a bit of a rarified model for those who love them, me being one. I would try and work you down to $3500 which may be a fair market value in it's described condition.

I sure hope you have a comparable backup guitar or you might have to fight off the seller's remorse.

I agree with jedzep. The lustre and originality may be gone, but if she is a great playing and sounding old gal, she would be hard to replace with modern builds.

It would take the right person to buy a non-original for that money in todays market however.

It seems to me that only the most pristeen and original examples are bringing 'decent' money 'these days'

....and if you get much beyond the price of a new one....it ain't happening.

This is just my observation.

Archived