Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a fake?

Kerry

Yes.

Check out the peghead comparison snaps here for example;

http://www2.gibson.c...eitGibsons.aspx

Sadly, if the "...deal is too good to be true..." then, in 99.99% of cases, you've pretty much answered your own question.

Those particular Chinese fakes can be had for around $280 new but a 3-pickup version is slightly unusual.

Avoid like the proverbial and please, if you feel so inclined, report that item as counterfeit goods so that no-one with less nous than yourself gets robbed.

P.

I thought it was. I sent a message asking if it was real or a copy. Will be interesting to see if I get a reply. How did you know it was a fake? I'm always watching Craig's List for deals and it's good to know what to look for. The peg heads looked OK to me from the pictures. I was going on the price and the three pickups. I couldn't find any links or pictures of a white 3 pickup custom.

Hello Kerry, and welcome to the Forums!

First of all, noone will sell a Custom for 450, regardless of year and condition. Not even with headstock repair.

The other signs are pretty well-described in the link Pippy provided.

Best wishes... Bence

The ad is gone but I just received a reply from the seller. He says: "I guess it's China made because it belonged to my friend, I know the authentic one is not that price." What a scammer. He was very careful not to mention Gibson anywhere in the ad. He knows exactly what he has. I hope he didn't sell the guitar and that's why the ad is gone.

The ad is gone but I just received a reply from the seller. He says: "I guess it's China made because it belonged to my friend, I know the authentic one is not that price." What a scammer. He was very careful not to mention Gibson anywhere in the ad. He knows exactly what he has. I hope he didn't sell the guitar and that's why the ad is gone.

Yikes, I hope someone didn't buy it thinking it was real.

Archived