Gibson Brands Forums

Got an AJ this evening.

MissouriPicker

Bought a 2008 AJ this evening. Got it from a friend. I'd played it a couple times before and seen/heard him use it numerous times. Good price and real good shape. A few typical surface scratches. Nice and straight neck. I gave the truss rod a quarter turn a while ago and it feels real good on my fingers. It is truly the cannon its said to be. Real playable. Going to enjoy this beast. This is my third rosewood Gibby, along with the J60 and J150. I'll likely do a video comparison of these three bears. They're all three rosewood and spruce, but I'm kind of anxious to hear if there's a difference in sound with the body styles and bracings.

Hey- congratulations! You have been hinting at an AJ in your future lately; I'm glad to see it came to be. Also nice when it stays in the familiar circle of guitarists, like it never really left the flock. Love the clean punch of a good Advanced Jumbo. Not too hard on the eyes, either: timeless beauty of the inlays, firestripe p/g, small rectangle bridge...very nice.

'Would love to see a little video comparison of those guitars. Congrats again on your NAJD. Of course, without pics, it just might be a family-friendly hallucination ; ) . Enjoy.

Congrats on yer new AJ. Great guitar.

Seems to me most Gibby owners tend to stick with the hog and maple bodies, so it's interesting to see someone with 3 rosewood Gibbies.

Looking forward to your comparison vid. . B)

Congratulations on your purchase. Everytime someone buys an AJ I think of my first gibson acoustic, which was an AJ. Bought it directly from the US (you could make good deals back in 2004). It only stayed about a year. That one wasn't for me, and I realized I was looking for the short scale playability and hog sound.

Nevertheless, the AJ is one damn fine looking (and smelling) guitar and at least imo it has the special gibson slope shoulder thing going on, just with a very special twist.

Looking forward to hear what you think and how it compares to your other gibbys. Enjoy!

Bought a 2008 AJ this evening. Got it from a friend. I'd played it a couple times before and seen/heard him use it numerous times. Good price and real good shape. A few typical surface scratches. Nice and straight neck. I gave the truss rod a quarter turn a while ago and it feels real good on my fingers. It is truly the cannon its said to be. Real playable. Going to enjoy this beast. This is my third rosewood Gibby, along with the J60 and J150. I'll likely do a video comparison of these three bears. They're all three rosewood and spruce, but I'm kind of anxious to hear if there's a difference in sound with the body styles and bracings.

Excellent addition to your Gibson pack.

P

For those who appreciate the AJs particular voice, they can be real gems. So congrats, MP, and dig in.

(ps BK re the AJ/ HD28 comparision, the specs are similar but they have different characteristics. The signature Martin boom is a thing unto itself. The Aj is more like one of the nuevo retro dreads that are voiced for clarity, like a Colligns D2H).

I did a video comparison between the AJ, J60, and J150 last night. I'll get it all pieced together tomorrow night after our Father's Day get-together and then get it on here. I really like the AJ. It can make a lot of noise, but responds well to gentle fingerpicking. I'm thinking of putting a K&K mini in it, but not sure yet. Lots of good pickups out there. I played the J60 today at a Porch Fest event. Its playability is excellent and the Baggs M1 is pretty sweet.

I did a video comparison between the AJ, J60, and J150 last night. I'll get it all pieced together tomorrow night after our Father's Day get-together and then get it on here. I really like the AJ. It can make a lot of noise, but responds well to gentle fingerpicking. I'm thinking of putting a K&K mini in it, but not sure yet. Lots of good pickups out there. I played the J60 today at a Porch Fest event. Its playability is excellent and the Baggs M1 is pretty sweet.

cONGRATS! AND hAPPIY fATHERS DAY...to you MP!

Good for you....love my AJ. I bet you'll love yours too.

I played mine last night. Never put a pickup in mine. I use it when I want to play acoustic but be loud enough to be heard. Got a pickup in my rosewood J-185. That's what I play when I need to plug in....

MP I just picked up a Fishman LoudBox Artist amp and tried my AJ which has the K&K mini and it sounds fantastic. Straight into the amp and it was good to go.

Curt

Archived