Gibson Brands Forums

Got an AJ this evening.

MissouriPicker

I did a video comparison between the AJ, J60, and J150 last night. I'll get it all pieced together tomorrow night after our Father's Day get-together and then get it on here. I really like the AJ. It can make a lot of noise, but responds well to gentle fingerpicking. I'm thinking of putting a K&K mini in it, but not sure yet. Lots of good pickups out there. I played the J60 today at a Porch Fest event. Its playability is excellent and the Baggs M1 is pretty sweet.

Usually I don't chime into PU discussions, cause I seem to have a different taste than most here.

But since you mentioned the M 1 and the k&K mini... I had the mini put in my j-45 and used it with k&K xlr preamp and never really liked the results that much. I now have a M 1 in there as well, and thats the only thing getting used since. Pretty different PUs and in my book the M 1 is a different class. [thumbup]

But since you have some gits to play out, why not keeping the AJ purely acoustic. I really like having a guitar without any electronics.

Good point, Johnny. I am kind of considering just playing into a good mic for some gigs. I'm usually sitting when I play and stay close to my vocal mic, so mic-ing the guitar would'nt change much in my style of playing. I don't do many of Chuck Berry's duck walks around the room....lol....I've also got a LR Baggs Para Acoustic Guitar DI and Preamp that I can use with a passive pickup. Only used it twice in the last three years...lol...I've got several pieces of nice equipment like that just sitting on the shelf. I might try using the Baggs with a passive pickup, but I'm not sure how long the 9v battery last. I was told two hours, which seems pretty poor to me. Maybe that's when it's helping power all kinds of effects. All I'd use it for is power for an acoustic......

I appreciate all the comments and congrats from folks. Going to work on slicing and dicing that video tonight. Too tired last night after Father's Day.

I've had 3 AJ's. The first two were standard issue ones. First one I bought in the 90's, second one in 2003, kept both of them for about eight years, played the tar out of them, gigs, jams, busking, bluegrass, old time, celtic/irish, swing, etc. Loved both of them, but sold both, just super, all rounder guitars. IMO, the only reason they aren't more popular w/conventional flatpickers is residual animus against Gibson, even though all the boutiques copy the design.

About 3 years ago, shortly after selling (and regretting selling) the 2d one, I picked up my 3rd, a 2006 Luthier's Choice model w/Adirondack top, Madagascar back/sides.

Yowza, this thing rocks. I don't know if it is just normal variation between individual AJ's or the materials and Luthier's Choice pixie dust, but this is one unique axe (and I've had tons and played tons more). Never have had anything quite like it, although previous AJ's came pretty darn close.

While it can be all soft and sweet, when you lean into it, it has the most incredibly clear, commanding voice. And it isn't my imagination. How do I know that? I play with fiddlers all the time and usually it is impossible to get them to notice/pay attention to flatpicking, it just doesn't penetrate. But with this one, I can always get their attention, lead off tunes, even to the point of getting them to follow and learn a new one. I've never had a guitar before that I could that consistently with on unsuspecting fiddlers.

Anyhow, AJ's, IMO, are one of the great sleeper guitars of all time. And I'm not a Gibson fanboy/purist, I've had all sorts of other brands. But this, in the decades of guitar ownership, is really the first true keeper I've run across, again, have never played anything quite like it.

Fair warning. This variation has a very wide nut, bigger than 1-3/4 (I think it is 1.77). It took me a while to get used to that and as loud as it was, I almost sold it because, well, it was taking me a while to get used to it. When I first started playing it, my fingers looked like little miniature ones on the fretboard and it can take some extra effort to make some various reaches. But I'm glad now I committed to getting used to it... FWIW, my luthier believes the extra mass in the neck is one of the things that gives it a little extra edge.

But anyhow, enough raving about my AJ (and I'd happily own a standard model one again, maybe one day I'll pick up one of blond curly maple ones from the 90's. Congratulations on your new guitar, I'm certain it is really great if my experiences are any indication.

Usually I don't chime into PU discussions, cause I seem to have a different taste than most here.

But since you mentioned the M 1 and the k&K mini... I had the mini put in my j-45 and used it with k&K xlr preamp and never really liked the results that much. I now have a M 1 in there as well, and thats the only thing getting used since. Pretty different PUs and in my book the M 1 is a different class. [thumbup]

But since you have some gits to play out, why not keeping the AJ purely acoustic. I really like having a guitar without any electronics.

What external mic do you recommend Littlejohnny?

What external mic do you recommend Littlejohnny?

When I said I like to have a pure acoustic, I didn't mean I'd like one for playing out. just for home use and recording.

So I'm not quite sure If i'm the right one to recommend a mic.

I'd say a shure sm 57 is a good and cheap way to start. For example Gillian Welch and D. Rawlings use them live.

If you want to spend more money, I would recommend a small-diaphragm condenser mic. There you can start with a rode nt-5 or alike ( about 170 €), but there a definitely better mics on the market, it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Archived