Gibson Brands Forums

Ugly guitar award.

LarryUK

58D87229-BE3F-49FC-ABCD-16FFB6001771_zpsewtinn7z.jpg

That thing is like someones half-arsed attempt to make a Tele without really knowing what it should look like..................................

[laugh]..................................J/K.

P.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my nomination forbthe ugly guitar award. Total hunk of crap that looks like a 14 year old made it in shop class. You can have one for $5000.

Hello!

Now it's 20% off! Only $4000 at MusicZoo.

Limted_Snake_Head_Telecaster_SH43_1.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Here's my nomination forbthe ugly guitar award. Total hunk of crap that looks like a 14 year old made it in shop class. You can have one for $5000.

That thing is like someones half-arsed attempt to make a Tele without really knowing what it should look like..................................

I think the whole thing is goofy as hell.

It's a PROTOTYPE, man. Everyone knows Mr. Fender put as little work and effort into prototypes because he was trying things out.

That's why it has value. It's HISTORICAL value. Not player value. 5k, or ANY dough, in a reproduction seems silly. Especially for something that was INTENTIONALLY not made to look good, be of quality, or be an example for sale.

I can see making 200 dollar reproductions just for looks, for hanging on a shop wall or something. Like an ornament or piece of furniture. And actually...LMAO...it SHOULD only cost a little money to make, as that was what the original was, not 5k.

Now, if someone could find the prototype of the origonal Strat, or even a pic....

[laugh]..................................J/K.

P.

Looks like someone's project guitar that they stopped half way through. lol

"Now, if someone could find the prototype of the origonal Strat, or even a pic...."

Stratocaster Prototype

And btw, as an aficionado of the Telecaster I find the prototype quite wonderful as it made the guitar I love and play daily possible. Would I pay $5 grand for a replica..... uh, no.

Maybe...

Certainly, this is A prototype, but I don't think it is THE prototype.

Reason being, there is too much on this guitar that has been worked out for the production one.

The guitar I would be thinking of, is one Bill Carson described as one he built based largely upon his suggestions (or including his suggestions), and it would not have been this refined.

"We" know not much of this guitar, except it was red, had 3 pups, and some body contouring. We also know that the "final" final shape of the body and pickgaurd were done by Freddy Taveras, and this is after this prototype Bill Carson describes.

The guitar in this article, and the pics in the shop by Mr. Fender, as definitely "post Freddy" in development. Highly unlikely that THIS guitar was THAT guitar, both because it ain't likely he would have refined the other one to this level, he would have just built a new one, and it is unlikely there would have been no additional holes or such, that the earlier one was this close.

Great link though. As to my knowledge, this IS the earliest known in existance, as well as the earliest known pics of one.

Archived