Gibson Brands Forums

What was the song that lit your fire?

Jimi Mac

While it didn't light my fire for music or guitar playing, it is my earliest recollection of getting a taste of the genre I loved the most...

When I was about 5 I was trying out my parents records and between the Dixieland Jazz, Glenn Miller Band, Les Paul and Mary Ford, I found an original 45 of Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog."

It was the one I liked most, but like BBP, The Beano Album (I later came to find where my bootleg originated from) was IT!

Don't think I could ever narrow it down to one song. So much of the stuff I grew up on was guitar driven and I soaked it up like a sponge. Some of the more formative stuff for me though was... Hendrix, Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and KISS.

My dad had the Woodstock album(s) and I listened to the Hendrix tracks obsessively. Naturally I bought Experienced, Axis, and Electric Ladyland in short order. I only realized years later how much it affected my playing.

In 8th grade I bought KISS Alive and it had everything a kid could want, theatrics, guitars, and songs about grown up stuff!

I bought Led Zeppelin II the same year - even though Stairway to Heaven on the fourth album was the big hit, I loved the stuff on II more. Also I loved the fact that Zeppelin used acoustic guitars on a lot of tracks and that was where I started - steel string acoustic.

Finally, since I grew up just down the road from Jacksonville, we were all huge Lynyrd Skynyrd fans. They managed to straddle the line between British sounding blues rock and southern sounds - loved it then and still love it now.

I should mention that all of this listening occurred before I picked up the actual guitar. I have a personal pet theory that the listening you do before you pick up the instrument informs your style as much (or more) than what you listen to after.

The day after they were on Sullivan my Dad brought home their album and when the needle dropped on our hifi, touched that vinyl and the staccato guitars of John and George blasted out of the speakers, well I knew it was in my blood.

I Want To Hold Your Hand was all I needed.

Meet.gif

Not going to be a "spectacular choice I know..But seeing Roy Clark at the fair in Knoxville,Tennessee mid 60ish.The man played everything literally,right down to the washboard.

"Mama don't allow no guitar pickin' in here.We don't care what mama don't allow,we'll play our music anyhow.Mama don't allow no longhair music in here"...

The day after they were on Sullivan my Dad brought home their album and when the needle dropped on our hifi, touched that vinyl and the staccato guitars of John and George blasted out of the speakers, well I knew it was in my blood.

I Want To Hold Your Hand was all I needed.

Meet.gif

Yeah, I liked "I Want to Hold Your Hand," as well...but, it was the second cut,

that did me in..."I Saw Her Standing There!" That was it!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Yeah, I liked "I Want to Hold Your Hand," as well...but, it was the second cut,

that did me in..."I Saw Her Standing There!" That was it!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Funny enough my favorite and I almost listed it as the song that got me into guitar playing was "It won't be Long" 4th song on the album. Right at the end of the chorus after John Sings, "Till I belong to you" with that guitar riff played by (I'm assuming) George. Still excites me to this day.

It wasn't one song for me that made me want to start playing guitar. It was the KISS: THE LAST KISS concert that aired on Direct T.V. Pay Per View back in 2000. I was 8 years old. My parents were watching it and I happened to walk in and see what they were watching and, behold, it was this KISS concert. I was hooked!! BEGGED them for a guitar after watching it and on Christmas of 2000, I got my first guitar, which was a red Ibanez Gio AX series that was apart of a starter pack. Wish I would've kept it because of sentimental reasons, since it was my very first guitar. Started playing at 8 years old and I'm now 22. You wanted the best, you got the best, the hottest band in the land: KISS!

Up Around the Bend - Creedence. Opening riff.

I remember air guitaring it in front of my friend Russell at about age 8. I said "I want to do this". He said, "You couldn't do it in a million years".

Only took me 5 from that point.

This CCR song defined my musical taste as a listener to a large extent until today.

When I first heard Frank Zappa's "Stinkfoot," I knew I had to play guitar myself, although it took me nearly seven more years to start with after having earned money myself for the first time. And as I posted into a related thread, I couldn't even guess then that it would take another thirty-three years until Gibson released a limited edition of the Frank Zappa "Roxy" SG which I only revered ever since then. Now I own two of these. [thumbup]

I think my first two albums were Billy Joel "Glass Houses" and Van Halen "Women and Children First". Being as I am on a guitar forum now you can guess whitch was my favorite. That VH album is still my favorite of all there albums. If I had to narrow it down to one song, it would prob be Loss Of Control. Dont know why, just love the begining.

been lurking and waiting for someone else to say it but KISS' origional COLD GIN, and BLACK DIAMOND both lit me up like a Christmas tree !!

I heard that 1st album and thought "F**K !!! I wanna do THAT !!!"

Then "Parasite Lady" from Hotter than Hell......and I was a gonner for sure...............

Don't think I could ever narrow it down to one song. So much of the stuff I grew up on was guitar driven and I soaked it up like a sponge. Some of the more formative stuff for me though was... Hendrix, Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and KISS.

My dad had the Woodstock album(s) and I listened to the Hendrix tracks obsessively. Naturally I bought Experienced, Axis, and Electric Ladyland in short order. I only realized years later how much it affected my playing.

In 8th grade I bought KISS Alive and it had everything a kid could want, theatrics, guitars, and songs about grown up stuff!

I bought Led Zeppelin II the same year - even though Stairway to Heaven on the fourth album was the big hit, I loved the stuff on II more. Also I loved the fact that Zeppelin used acoustic guitars on a lot of tracks and that was where I started - steel string acoustic.

Finally, since I grew up just down the road from Jacksonville, we were all huge Lynyrd Skynyrd fans. They managed to straddle the line between British sounding blues rock and southern sounds - loved it then and still love it now.

I should mention that all of this listening occurred before I picked up the actual guitar. I have a personal pet theory that the listening you do before you pick up the instrument informs your style as much (or more) than what you listen to after.

I hear ya... I just knew that the song/s I mentioned to this day stick out in my mind and I can clear as day see the cover of that bootleg cassette in my mind as a turning point...

But I do understand and mostly agree with most all of what you're saying here. I grew up in Western Massachusetts. (The People's Republic of Massachusetts - although Western MA is like the difference between East and West Berlin, it's still uber-liberal here and has become much moreso over time) and a big influence was local stuff; NRBQ, Boston, Aerosmith, J. Geils, The Cars, and Billy Squire; (just to name a few) all very guitar driven music. On the FM radio of course and mostly on the same radio station that is now a Classic Rock station out of Springfield MA; WAQY Rock 102 - Used to be Wacky 102 back in the day, things like The King Biscuit Flour Hour/Radio-One etc. I well remember The Allman Brothers band being often featured and that had a huge influence on me... I heard plenty of Beach Boys for that California Surf tone and for whatever reason The Surfaris Wipeout was played enough to give me more of a Surf taste too. I still love Surf to this day and think D!ck Dale (I can't believe I can't type the guy's name because of censors) is Da-Bomb and that the guys in The Ventures are phenoms! For whatever reason I came to love the Ventures version of Wipeout for the intricacy of their arrangement vs the simple Surf groove and rendition by The Surfaris as I grew up, but The Ventures version was never played on the radio in my day...

Clearly Led Zep was always on the radio. I found later in life that a huge majority of bands and performers I really liked were British... And I never knew it because they ruled the FM airwaves and I assumed they were American. It was well into my teen years before I found out Eric Clapton was a Brit when I heard him speak in an interview... I was shocked. That whole sounding American when they sing thing took me by surprise... Tons of bands that simply ruled our American airwaves were British that I grew up listening to: (whether they were my kind of music or not) The Beatles, Led Zep, Clapton/Cream, The Kinks, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabath, Iron Maiden, Foghat, and the list goes on and on. That whole British Rock & Blues thing was (and still is) a massive influence on me!

I also got a real healthy dose of Southern Rock, even in my New England/Northeast US locale due to the era. It was when they were all HUGE when I was growing up; The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, and them boys can flat-out pick them guitars!

I also give the nod to the British "emulators" that actually led me to seek out the originators and pioneers from my own country that were criminally over-looked on our American radio airwaves. I never knew who Otis Rush, Albert King, Freddie King, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, or Elmore James were from my own American radio and never would have were it not for the British guitarists that spoke of them with reverence, respect, and adoration and said they were where it was all from and at. Without the Limeys I would never have known what was right in my own back yard! LIterally... Taj Mahal is a local boy from Springfield MA...

My very first Rock concert ever was The Kinks at The Civic Center in Springfield MA - to me the were the quintessential Rock band... I'm pretty sure I didn't know they were British when I became smitten with their music... In fact I won those concert tickets from my radio station Rock 102...

I owe the British Guitar Gods a debt of gratitude!

It really was Eric Clapton that started most of it all off for me, and "Steppin' Out" is the one I recall really setting me off...

It's all good!!!

The Beatles' "Day Tripper" is the one that really "hooked" me. The main riff, the bassline, the vocal harmonies, it just had a little bit of everything goin' on and I thought, "HELL YEAH!!! That's what I wanna do!"

Been lots of others since then that have spurred me on, but that's the one that started it all for me.

Archived