Gibson Brands Forums

Humnbucker Size P90

Bryan Sutherland

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I attempted to search the site...

I had a LP Special with P90's, but just didn't feel comfortable with the guitar. I did love the P90s, but not the feel of the guitar (so I sold it).

I don't really have the cash at the moment (nor the space) for another guitar, so I thought I might look at picking up a set of Humbucker-size P90's for my Studio.

Does anyone have any experience with these pickups? I see that Bareknuckle has a few sets (and my experience with BK pickups has been great), SD, ToneRider, and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

I do not want to operate on my guitar to fit actual P90's, just something that will fit in a standard humbucker slot. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Bryan

Hello Bryan.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with those, but I really like the tones (heard from videos) the Seymour-Duncan P-Rails provide. Must be a great pickup with the Triple-Shot mounting rings.

It`s a very versatile solution.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Bryan.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with those, but I really like the tones (heard from videos) the Seymour-Duncan P-Rails provide. Must be a great pickup with the Triple-Shot mounting rings.

Cheers... Bence

I've been so close to getting a set of p-rails w/TS rings so many times ...

Hello Bryan.

Cheers... Bence

I've heard of these P-Rails, but never really looked into them. Looks like a very versatile pickup!! Not really my cup of tea though...

Yes I have experience with humbucker-sized P90s.

P94s. Fine pickups, great, great tones - fat for a single-coil - but they will pick up hum and buzz a bit when close to the amp if loud enough. You'd be fine - I love 'em; I have an LP with P90s and this ES175 with the P94s. Tonally they are quite similar to P90s and would sound just as good and maybe even better in a solid I think.

Also check Lindy Fralin pickups site.

ES175bodyJan14web_zps8b4a9da7.jpg

Yes I have experience with humbucker-sized P90s.

P94s. Fine pickups, great, great tones - fat for a single-coil - but they will pick up hum and buzz a bit when close to the amp if loud enough. You'd be fine - I love 'em; I have an LP with P90s and this ES175 with the P94s. Tonally they are quite similar to P90s and would sound just as good and maybe even better in a solid I think.

Also check Lindy Fralin pickups site.

ES175bodyJan14web_zps8b4a9da7.jpg

The P94's came to mind, and also the H90's by Porter look pretty sweet. Will fire up some You Tube clips over the weekend and check 'em out.

Archived