Gibson Brands Forums

Collectors Choice 28 :oO

Rabs

Lol, yup.. Even more CCs... But 28 :o they must really be selling well.. But I guess that's good for all of us in the long run?

#28 The Stp Burst http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Collectors-Choice-28-1958-Les-Paul-STP-Burst.aspx

LP58CC28SBNH1-Finish-Shot_zpse7a45d68.jpg

and while we are at it...

#12 The 1957 Les Paul Goldtop (imaginative :P) http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Collectors-Choice-12-1957-Les-Paul-Goldtop.aspx

LP57CC12AGNH1-Hero-1_zps22e55095.jpg

Today,in the latest issue of Guitar Aficionado,I saw an ad for a Gibson Custom Shop "Southern Rock Tribute 1959" Les Paul and it's said to be to honor the contributions of Southern Rockers such as The Allman Bros.,Charlie Daniels,Lynyrd Skynyrd,The Marshall Tucker Band, etc. It's a "Reverseburst" which is said to be arrived at after consultation with vintage experts and members of the "Southern Rock community".I wonder if one would have to be a member of one of the aforementioned bands in order to afford one of these beauties.

Is there any difference between the R7, R8, R9, R0 and these besides the fact these are relic'd to look like a certain specific early LP?

In most (all?) cases where I've checked out the sales pitch it maintains that exacting measurements were taken from the original instrument as regards neck profile, top-carve and so on.

Also the pickups - in each case custom wound - are claimed to have been made to match the resistance of the PAFs in the original.

Whether or not these guitars are indistinguishable from the original is a moot point but having read bout certain circumstances under which the CC range is produced I'm of the opinion that they will be close enough for rock'n'roll (as it were). FWIW I've played four of the CC series and in each case it has turned out to be an exceptional instrument. The CS is obviously getting something 'right' with this series even in comparison with the regular R-I's (IM admittedly limited X).

How many more can we expect? Well, as I've said before, there were approx 1,800 '58 - '60s made so that would be a further 1,772...

Lastly, for all those who mention the high purchase price the clue is in the title - "Collector's Choice".

Not "Hobo's Choice"; "Student's Choice"; "Player's Choice" or anything else.

To be fair I think Gibson have made that aspect of the range pretty clear right from the start.

P.

The going rate is still far less than an original!

I also like the fact of carrying the legacy on and allowing those with the backing to be able to purchase the historic classics and making them still available in the future.

It would suck if there were only EVER 1,800 of them available for ever more...

I'd buy one if I could afford it, mostly I want a #1, but I'd settle for a #8

Have you guys seen this? Its a 1960 Custom Shop Reissue I think its a Musicians Friend Exclusive but its the same price as a Les Paul Custom $3999.00 R0 with Burstbuckers.

NICE!!! [thumbup]

Features

Top wood: Figured maple

Back wood: Solid mahogany

Binding: Single-ply cream on top

Neck construction: 1-piece mahogany with original-style truss rod route

Fingerboard: 22-fret rosewood

Inlays: Vintage trapezoid (accurate shape and color)

Neck binding: Single-ply cream

Profile: 1960 SlimTaper

Scale length/Nut width: 24-3/4"; 1-11/16"

Pickups: Burstbucker 1 (rhythm), Burstbucker 2 (treble)

Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switching

Hardware color: Nickel

Bridge/Tailpiece: ABR-1/Aluminum stopbar

Tuner style: Vintage tulip

Body weight: 6.5 lb.

Archived