Gibson Brands Forums

J-35 Strap Button

mooserman40

I recently bought a Gibson J-35 which is AMAZING! But I could not go without a strap button on the heel. I finally got the nerve one night but I wasn't thinking clearly and I just screwed it in without pre-drilling. The strap button went in good and seems to be solid. The problem is that some of the finish seems to have lifted. It is still intact and it is covered by the strap button. The finish does not feel raised but it clearly is a white-ish color. My concern is that the finish could go on and lift further to where it would not be covered. Should I be worried?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m129/mooserman40/image_zpse1cd4e23.jpeg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m129/mooserman40/image2_zps772e0a61.jpeg

I would first, slowly unscrew the button. Then get an appropriately sized drill bit and carefully drill the hole out the way it should be. That will remove wood that is currently compressed in the space. Even though it didn't split initially, if the humidity goes up and you put too much pressure on the button, it could split sometime down the road.

I would first, slowly unscrew the button. Then get an appropriately sized drill bit and carefully drill the hole out the way it should be. That will remove wood that is currently compressed in the space. Even though it didn't split initially, if the humidity goes up and you put too much pressure on the button, it could split sometime down the road.

Don't do this either. You've proven to yourself that you shouldn't be doing these kinds of alterations/repairs. Take it to a pro.

P

UPDATE! I took a drill bit and drilled into the hole. I also tried using acetone to lower the finish but it didn't seem to work. I think it will be okay. I have also read that it might help to put super glue around the edge of the hole to seal the lifted finish?

Seems most of the advice given here was "take it to a pro". I'd concur. I installed one on a Guild 12 String, but hat had a satin finish and I was less worried. I'd pay to have i done on a nitro guitar.

Well what's done is done. I'm not to concerned with the finish cracking any more. It does not seem to be raised and it isn't really "Cracked" at all. And I'm also not very concerned about cracking only because I have gone back and drilled and the direction of the grain is going away from the hole

I had assumed it would be alright because I took a takamine guitar to a local guitar shop and the man behind the counter just screwed it in without predrilling

DO NOT EVER let this person touch your guitars again. And I concur....for any future guitar repair needs, find yourself a real pro.

DC

Sorry to say it, but that was a pretty bad move. You're lucky you didn't split the heel of the neck. Personally, I wouldn't give it any further home remedies. I'd take it to a good repair man, have him touch up the nitro and re-mount the strap button.

P

Ponk since you said 'lucky' my mind drifted to this....

Which transferred to this...

Which translates to "getting old is a *****".....

Thank God the mind adapts!

LUCKY MAN [scared]

...and lucky man was I to have experienced such great music through the seventies. Todays stuff pales.....which could lead me to another song......[laugh]

The guys on the tele tdpri forum seem to have a much better attitude and view on the situation. I'm fairly confident that the finish will be fine

Not to be a 'tagalong' after dchristo, But I think so also. I once drilled for a strap button on a buddy's Washburn. I taped over the hole and drilled. Even at that ,when screwing it in.... some finish lifted around the hole. It was totally hidden under the strap button/felt washer.....I could not see it from my house.....every thin be cool! Jes Sayin'

!No need to worry too much!

• 1 month later...

take a Qtip and some lacquer thinner or nail polish remover. dab the spot with the Q tip dampened until the finish softens and sticks back to the wood

Just an update! Thanks for all the advice but this one especially worked! It isn't perfect but It managed to make a good bit of the finish sit back down! I also added a little super glue under the edge just for good measure!

Archived