Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
L5Larry

Unlawful Talent

Just spent the last two hours sitting 15 feet away from Tommy Emmanuel giving it his best. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My problem is I'm playing the same stage next Tuesday. I hope the aren't any of the same people in the audience.

Just spent the last two hours sitting 15 feet away from Tommy Emmanuel giving it his best. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My problem is I'm playing the same stage next Tuesday. I hope the aren't any of the same people in the audience.

Fully understood!!!

He makes me want to play and give it up all at the same time...

I think he's the best guitarist alive these days... He's simply untouchable!

Phenom for sure!

I just missed his last local show and I keep an eye on his schedule to see if he comes back this way again any time soon. I will not miss him again if I get the opportunity!

So far nothing listed for 2014... I may have to wait 'til 2015... Fingers crossed!

Lol,,, I'm sorry but that was funny.

I know how you feel. I saw Tommy a few weeks ago.

All my guitars went up for sale. Luckily I had no takers and took the ad down after I came to my senses.

;)

Can't compare watching him on youtube to being there in front of him.

Did he relic his guitar with the brush? That was something to behold.

All my guitars went up for sale. Luckily I had no takers and took the ad down after I came to my senses.

Happens all the time.

I did the same thing after seeing Brian Setzer,

..........Joe Walsh

..........Eric Clapton

..........Alex Lifeson

..........Peter Frampton

Of course the joke is when you see someone that talented is to "sell all my guitars". But I'm just the opposite, and feel a kick in the *** for improvement.

As I do so much "band" work, the one thing I do practice, or am constantly working on, is solo style guitar in the chord/melody vain of say Chet or Tommy. One of the songs I heard Tommy do the other night made me think I could work up a version to add to my solo repertoire..... "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

The first 1:40 of this vid shows the possibilities. He makes it look SO easy.

His Beatles medley is still one of his biggest crowd pleasers. Here's the full version:

I was watching his version of "Somewhere over the rainbow" on acoustic the other day,,wow is all I can say. I was trying to learn how to play that song{I play by ear}and he was all over the neck,,and making these "Harp" like harmonics,,amazing. I decided to watch the Judy Garland version from the OZ movie,,was much easier to learn the basic chord progression that way,,plus watching Toto in the vid was awsome.But he is really quite special player for sure.