Gibson Brands Forums

Lance Keltner?

LarryUK

Has anyone heard of him? I commented on one of his videos and he sent me a nasty email. But I can't see what his thing is. I've looked at his videos and he's no better than a average pub player. What am I missing?

Has anyone heard of him? I commented on one of his videos and he sent me a nasty email. But I can't see what his thing is. I've looked at his videos and he's no better than a average pub player. What am I missing?

What exactly did you say?

What exactly did you say?

I just commented that it was boring playing. He certainly didn't like it. But I've watched many of his vids since and he's just a pentatonic player with no speed and dodgy bends. I can't see how he's successful and is well know. I think he's more of a producer perhaps.

Why?

That's just plain bad manners.

P.

I must say I have to agree!

There's too much pissing on people, especially on YouTube!

It's one thing if it's a vid of Jimmy Page and somebody comments it's a boring performance and not one of his best because it was in his heroine era... Jimmy's never gonna see it, and he probably wouldn't take offense if he did. But to do on somebody's YouTube channel or a vid they posted and call it boring playing... That's just nasty for no good reason...

I'm a hack, I know I am, I share because I love Blues and guitar, but millions of folks would agree my playing is probably quite boring at times, and certainly less than stellar... But for someone to post that comment on one of my vids that I posted on my channel or my site... Well that would be just plain hurtful and have zero value.

I get he's a professional and trying to make a living and putting himself up and out there for criticism, but it's still not valuable to post such comments.

I think the golden rule should apply far more often than it does in comments on YouTube, Facebook, and all of the forms of social media! If U got nuthin' good to say to someone, keep yer yap shut... (just my $.02)

But on a forum of open discussion, where the individual is not present, subject to the effects of comments personally, and/or not their platform promoting/spotlighting themselves, then free thought and discussion is open season in intelligent discourse. Like here. Here is fine because he's most likely not here, this isn't his platform/forum/production etc. and he's not likely to be affected by what we say...

I get the whole not saying something behind someone's back value/creed, but it should be trumped by the not saying something without value and that is offensive or hurtful and if you don't have something good to say, just don't say anything at all...

On YouTube, I never even hit the thumbs down icon if I don't like something I just move on. Unless it's particularly offensive or perverted, then I report it. But if I just don't like something or I find something boring, I simply move on not to return, that says enough without having to be offensive or antagonistic.

Most of the guys in here would consider my playing a joke and really lousy, but they offer support, acceptance, and camaraderie instead. It has a much more valuable existential impact. There's enough negative out there in life without adding to it needlessly...

Social media allows for too much dissing, offending, complaining, insulting, and argumentative abrasive comment without any value to the effort... I try not to get caught up in that, it adds no value to my life and I'm not wasting my time on it...

There's just no need... We should make better use of our time and efforts!

I know I piss people off often enough accidentally without intending to do so, and I always try to make amends and apologize so they know I didn't intend negativity for no good reason. I don't want doing it intentionally hangin' on my conscience when I go before Saint Pete...

All I know is that I will never post a public video of my playing, I do not need a ****** bag knocking my playing down (which would be easy to do).

Like Jimi says, in this era of social media a lot of folks take cheap shots from behind the keyboard.

Every time I see nasty comments on guitar videos social media I challenge those same people to post videos of their playing and they never do, they do not come through and the reason is that a true good player would not be knocking other players down.

I rather focus on what a player is doing right (and better than me).

All I know is that I will never post a public video of my playing, I do not need a ****** bag knocking my playing down (which would be easy to do).

I don't know. I haven't had much trouble. I just looked and one of my vids has over 30,000 views. [scared] I find people are generally nice and supportive. I can only remember a couple negative comments and they didn't bother me - like you said those guys probably can't play at all. Besides, I know I'm not a rock god! :rolleyes:

My exact comment was 'Nice guitar, boring band, tasteless music'. Which is what I felt it was. Why lie? I see comment all the time saying that it's great and brilliant. Yet it's rubbish. I even see it on here. If I don't like something, I say so. I didn't say they were bad musicians or anything personal.

My exact comment was 'Nice guitar, boring band, tasteless music'. Which is what I felt it was. Why lie?...

If I don't like something, I say so. I didn't say they were bad musicians or anything personal.

Without wishing to start a bunfight, Lashurst...

Firstly;

I wouldn't agree with telling lies - that does no good - but if you don't like something why do you feel compelled to say so? Unless someone is specifically asking your personal opinion, that is. It's not like you are offering constructive criticism or offering anything which might be considered even remotely useful.

Why take the time to tell someone you don't like what they do? What's the point? I really don't understand that approach at all.

Just leave them to themselves and find something you DO like.

Secondly;

You don't consider telling someone you think they are member of a 'boring band' and that they play 'tasteless music' to be "personal"?

Really?

I hope you never feel inclined to comment on any music I've ever posted......I'm a hack player with a very thin skin and react to negative criticism very poorly........[laugh]

P.

While I have never heard of the guy, I certainly don't think that he is bad or boring. He's playing blues, it is what it is. Kinda hard not to play pentatonic in that style.

Music is always subjective, my hats off to anyone that posts them self playing on video or playing live. I always listen and find the good in what they do.

I usually find that the people with the most to say, are the least to play.

At the risk of a slight thread derail (for which I apologise in advance, lashurst!)...

All I know is that I will never post a public video of my playing, I do not need a ****** bag knocking my playing down...
...I just looked and one of my vids has over 30,000 views. [scared] I find people are generally nice and supportive...

These posts had me thinking...

For a few friends on a very small, members only (around 35 max) website I had posted, between 2 and 3 years ago, several very short clips of me demo'ing a few aspects of 'stuff'.

I just went over to youtube to see if they were still in existence and somehow they have amassed over 2,700 hits. As Surf says;....[scared]....

How did that happen?

These clips were given pretty obscure titles and I didn't share them - that I know of - with anyone outside the forum which I left a couple of years ago.

Admittedly I posted two / three here but unless everyone 'invited' has watched them around 80 times each - and let's just say that is unlikely ([lol]) - how did they rack up these 'hits'?

:-k

P.

I just jump away from youtube stuff I don't care much for, for whatever reason I don't.

And actually, I'd not say bad things about an average pub player, either, even if they're so bad you have no idea why anyone at all would pay money to hear them.

m

Without wishing to start a bunfight, Lashurst...

Firstly;

I wouldn't agree with telling lies - that does no good - but if you don't like something why do you feel compelled to say so? Unless someone is specifically asking your personal opinion, that is. It's not like you are offering constructive criticism or offering anything which might be considered even remotely useful.

Why take the time to tell someone you don't like what they do? What's the point? I really don't understand that approach at all.

Just leave them to themselves and find something you DO like.

Secondly;

You don't consider telling someone you think they are member of a 'boring band' and that they play 'tasteless music' to be "personal"?

Really?

I hope you never feel inclined to comment on any music I've ever posted......I'm a hack player with a very thin skin and react to negative criticism very poorly........[laugh]

P.

That!!! msp_thumbup.gif

So simple it's stupid... And so perfect!

While I have never heard of the guy, I certainly don't think that he is bad or boring. He's playing blues, it is what it is. Kinda hard not to play pentatonic in that style.

Music is always subjective, my hats off to anyone that posts them self playing on video or playing live. I always listen and find the good in what they do.

That! msp_thumbup.gif

I'm a Blues-Hound, it's what I do because it's what I am! I get stuck in my 1st box position hell all the time, but it's my home and my comfort zone! I'm a pentatonic freak and it's what I know, but I love it and it comes from my heart and soul! I know I'm an incurable hack and most here could outplay me in their sleep, but I don't need to be told that by others! There's no good reason for it and that kind of antagonistic tripe has to stop among people viewing those doing what they love to do!

There's just no value in it whatsoever!

Archived