Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rabs

Set necks ahoy... Beech and Oak builds FINISHED

But all this shows I need to be more precise in my planning of what bridges im going to use vs what neck angle etc... But im getting there :)

That would seem to be the hardest part, IMO - and the part I could never get right! That's what CNC machines are for tight? [biggrin]

That would seem to be the hardest part, IMO - and the part I could never get right! That's what CNC machines are for tight? [biggrin]

Yes indeed... its is now that I understand why each bit of a guitar is designed the way it is... and even many things that I wouldn't have thought would make a bug difference does... Like the thickness of the headstock which has to be right for the tuners to fit through and stick out high enough.. and even in the control cavity.. the four bumps that go around the pots... I thought that was just a random design at first, but no, you need those bumps to have a large enough area for the screws to go through (or the wood will crack) and if they are not in the right place then the pots don't fit in and line up correctly etc etc..

They really are quite amazing bits of engineering... and to make a guitar really well you need that precision or it will never be as good as it can be. BUT in saying all of that.. im like the most un-academic person.. I can only learn by doing things (like my playing), so I have just had to learn by trial and error mostly :) but that's fine, it gives me a good chance to experiment and learn my own ways of doing things rather than just always doing what is considered traditional. And I think if I can do it, pretty much anyone can if you have the time.

This is very cool Rabs. msp_thumbup.gif

Cheers man.. I may have to re-think the pickups now.. I got some P90s that I might stick in this one (humbucker sized).

Well its very cool, keep on keepin on.

These are what im thinking of using (the black and chrome)

xasscascwqfvvage1_zps9f49aec9.jpg

and these are the specs:-

String Spacing - Bridge - 52mm , Neck - 50mm

Resistance - Bridge - 7.8k (+/-10%), Neck - 7.2k (+/-10%)

Inductance - Bridge - 3.06h, Neck - 3.15h

Magnets = Alnico V

Wire = .42 Gauge Polysol

Hello...

So for all those interested heres the update for the first set neck im doing (number two is drying as I write this)...

And I was going to use a pickguard for this build to cover the neck joint, but you know what.. I like how its looking as it is (the multi block wood means that it doesn't stand out that much)

DSC_0007_zps2ec9a3e2.jpg

DSC_0010_zps7763fc71.jpg

And with the pups and bridge in place.

DSC_0003_zps435bd38a.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsa3793e3a.jpg

So that's looking better than I thought (at this point).. Now its just all the back routing to do and this one will be ready for finishing :D

That one's looking great, Rabs. [thumbup] Those are some big a$$ frets! [biggrin]

Cheers man. Its coming out better than I thought it would already...

And yeah, no fret levelling or crowning done yet.. I tend to leave that till last...

Rabs, I have a friend who has worked exclusively in the guitar set up and repair game for I guess 30 years. He has incredible knowledge and attention to microscopic detail. He also builds maybe one electric a year and I guess sells one every couple of years and they are precision instruments. The stuff like precise angles and spacings, balancing weight to avoid neck dive, rounding off of fret board edges etc I can barely comprehend, let alone paint prep and so forth.

Now I think he would have every possible tool, appliance and precision instrument to support all that knowledge in a purpose built studio/workspace and orders the finest wood and components from round the world…. Conversely, you appear to be building your instruments in a cramped shed using off cuts of wood and whatever equipment you have available with a general but flexible plan in mind and not too much previous experience.

Therefore to achieve what it looks like you are achieving is amazing, and not at all something ‘pretty much anyone can do’ - I give you immense credit and hope you end up with something that will give you a lot of pleasure to play - and I’m sure you will succeed. [thumbup][thumbup] and again [thumbup]

Rabs, I have a friend who has worked exclusively in the guitar set up and repair game for I guess 30 years. He has incredible knowledge and attention to microscopic detail. He also builds maybe one electric a year and I guess sells one every couple of years and they are precision instruments. The stuff like precise angles and spacings, balancing weight to avoid neck dive, rounding off of fret board edges etc I can barely comprehend, let alone paint prep and so forth.

Now I think he would have every possible tool, appliance and precision instrument to support all that knowledge in a purpose built studio/workspace and orders the finest wood and components from round the world…. Conversely, you appear to be building your instruments in a cramped shed using off cuts of wood and whatever equipment you have available with a general but flexible plan in mind and not too much previous experience.

Therefore to achieve what it looks like you are achieving is amazing, and not at all something ‘pretty much anyone can do’ - I give you immense credit and hope you end up with something that will give you a lot of pleasure to play - and I’m sure you will succeed. [thumbup][thumbup] and again [thumbup]

Wow... thank you very much for the kid comments sir its much appreciated...

And well the one and only thing I have on my side is time... Im actually working in my parents garage :) which yes leaves me about 4x10ft of space to work in and im using the cheapest DIY bench and just whatever tools I had (I have added many more since I first started)... BUT I am a great believer in logic. I have a good creative side so it was just a case of could I work out the rest which rather than using years of experience or great tools I use the practice makes perfect idea :)

And I allow myself room to move around and for the designs of each guitar to be individual because you sometimes feel that each individual piece of wood is so different you cant treat each one the same even if its the same species of wood. Its like you hear about sculptors who feel that they just remove the excess to reveal something that was already there within it (or something like that :)) . I sort of feel the same, I allow the build to tell me what to do (well a little anyway ;))

I still don't have a guitar I feel is perfect yet, but with these set necks I feel im really getting there. I should have the next two done within a few weeks. But then again I am holding myself up to the best which in my mind has always been Gibson. If I actually can finish a guitar off to that level (and sell one) I will be a very happy man :)

So heres another quick update on what ive been up to today.....

Heres the oak build now with the control cavity drilled and the holes for the wiring all done.... All that's left now is getting the headstock finished, get the frets levelled and crowned and then I can finish it :D

Basically what I do is draw a line where I want the holes to be and aim the drill bit at that angle.. not hard really :)

DSC_0015_zps9708eb0b.jpg

And this is from the output jack hole :)

DSC_0014_zps25434c84.jpg

Also I now have that Beechwood guitar glued together with a beechwood and meranti neck

DSC_0018_zps07b59e65.jpg

And this is me filling any holes left from the joint with beechwood dust and glue.. Looks messy now but usually cleans up nicely.. In this case I reckon I will need a pickguard to cover that..

DSC_0019_zps4e90ddd8.jpg

DSC_0020_zps4d9acc74.jpg

I really like this beechwood... REALLY nice grain on it, so I think it will come out really nice when finished.

DSC_0021_zps05d731cc.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsdf240590.jpg

Hello to anyone watching...

So heres a small update on the beechwood build that im doing... I am REALLY happy with this one, I think its gonna turn out to be a stunner :)

So heres the neck join after I filled it in a bit... Now im actually trying a few different ways of finishing these off.. In the hope that I can make a neck joint and not have to cover it with a pickguard...

So heres what it looks like

DSC_0026_zpsc36ce835.jpg

Now with a closer look. I used different consistancies of glue and sawdust filler AND where I could I actually inserted small strips of beechwood and glued them in which REALLY worked well, you can barely see the join... The filler obviously looks a bit ugly which would have to be covered, BUT if I can do a whole joint in that fashion I should be able to make them look good..

DSC_0027_zpse07bd8f7.jpg

And heres how the back is looking.. again REALLY happy with that :)

DSC_0029_zps94959673.jpg

Check out those cool red flecks on the side of the body

DSC_0030_zps5b041d91.jpg

DSC_0031_zps4952413f.jpg

And then I routed for the pups.. sadly a small chip came off on the top of the joining area (but I can fix that easy enough

DSC_0032_zps66cbac16.jpg

And heres it with some pups in (not using those for this build but they are humbucker sized P90s) and that IS the bridge I am using

DSC_0036_zpse1d68d27.jpg

Its a shame about that chip cos I have routed a lot of the messy area away and it doesn't look too bad

DSC_0037_zps901b4709.jpg

DSC_0038_zpse8fe2e7e.jpg

What do you think.. :)

Im pretty much ready to start finishing both of these builds this week (just some fine sanding to do).... :D

The beech one now has all its relevant holes

DSC_0039_zpsbf16fa72.jpg

For the bridge ground wire

DSC_0045_zpsf1122ad5.jpg

and may yet slim this neck down a tad

DSC_0042_zps9f2d7cba.jpg

But all in all, pretty much ready :D so hopefully the next time you see these they will have some finish on (or maybe even a finshed video :))

DSC_0044_zpsb1776074.jpg

Evening all (or what ever time it is where you are :))

So yes, today I started finishing both Oak and Beech builds... Its always one of the most exciting parts as you get to see the grain in its full beauty...

So heres the Oak one that's had its first layer of tru oil

DSC_0049_zpsbbd55973.jpg

DSC_0061_zpsc0983ed7.jpg

and this guitar has got my new logo idea on the headstock.. which comes in the form of a rubber stamp I had made up.. I think its better than the waterslides as that took a long time to layer over and the results arnt always great, this takes one coat... BUT I think its a bit undefined so im not sure I will keep doing that.. I need to find some sort of elegant solution for my logos.

DSC_0050_zps0d3d5e6a.jpg

And heres the beech one [woot] I have put some antique pine stain on it and as the wood had a slight red tint to it, the stain makes it almost orangey(boom)...

DSC_0046_zpsda0ae2f9.jpg

DSC_0053_zps03f6a41b.jpg

And a closer look

DSC_0052_zps9191f1e3.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsfe5cb4b5.jpg

So yeah im pretty happy so far.. This is them after they have dried a bit which always makes it go duller.. the perma-shine will come when I add the oil :)

DSC_0058_zpsddb3bc91.jpg

ALSO I got some more interesting new wood called Utile (youtilly)which has a very close relationship with Sapele which is very close to Mahogany.. and yes this stuff is ROCK hard... and I have enough to do a neckthrough.. so that will possibly be the next one I do :)

DSC_0064_zps134e946c.jpg

DSC_0066_zps93ca5149.jpg

Hello to anyone still watching...

Today I spent most of the day on the beechwood build and now its looking like this :D

You will see im giving the edge a very slight darker tint.. not exactly a burst, but the sides and the neck I decided to do darker for nice contrast.. See what you reckon

DSC_0069_zps06e202c5.jpg

DSC_0070_zps87f2537b.jpg

Here you can see the difference in colour between the back (and front) and the sides and neck

DSC_0073_zps4c99e04b.jpg

DSC_0074_zpsabd59583.jpg

And the neck ive gotten to the point where you almost cant see the meranti strip in the middle.. but I like it, its making the neck look like mahogany :)

DSC_0077_zpsc9aeddc1.jpg

I think it looks better than the pale natural colour of the wood

DSC_0039_zpsbf16fa72.jpg

What do you reckon :)

The color looks great! I like your logo too. Almost looks like it was burned into the headstock.

Cheers guys...

And yes.. that rubber stamp look lol... its ok.. im not super happy with it.. Actually id love to learn how to burn my logo on, that would be awesome [thumbup] :)

Maybe that will be my next trick ;)

Cheers guys...

And yes.. that rubber stamp look lol... its ok.. im not super happy with it.. Actually id love to learn how to burn my logo on, that would be awesome [thumbup] :)

Maybe that will be my next trick ;)

Grab an old soldering iron, some scraps of wood and boom, you could be on to something :D

These are looking quality Rabs, kudos :)

Grab an old soldering iron, some scraps of wood and boom, you could be on to something :D

These are looking quality Rabs, kudos :)

Cheers man :)

And yes I have both an old soldering iron and LOADS of scrap wood.. So you may well see that next week [thumbup]

Cheers man :)

And yes I have both an old soldering iron and LOADS of scrap wood.. So you may well see that next week [thumbup]

This guy makes custom flame-heated branding irons for $85, or electrically heated for $165...maximum dimensions 3" x 3"...should be wide enough.

http://www.branding-irons.biz

-Ryan

This guy makes custom flame-heated branding irons for $85, or electrically heated for $165...maximum dimensions 3" x 3"...should be wide enough.

http://www.branding-irons.biz

-Ryan

Hmm, interesting... Thanks for that.. Maybe I will see if I can find someone that does that in the UK...

But in saying that I like the idea of learning how to do it myself if I can get decent results :) (probably a big if)

Nice! Your quite the luthier sir, I like the stripe down the neck, that's classy

Thanks man... but hopefully if I continue, this is just the beginning ;) I still have loads more ideas to try and techniques to master but im getting there bit by bit.