Gibson Brands Forums

Set necks ahoy... Beech and Oak builds FINISHED

Rabs

Just a quickie today...

They are getting there (finishing is a slow process).. nice and shiny but not thick enough yet.. I will keep going till I get a nice glossy finish (BUT leave the neck coats a bit thinner). :)

Ohhh shiny

DSC_0123_zps94ab31d8.jpg

DSC_0124_zps28800426.jpg

DSC_0126_zps93b9b1d1.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow! that neck is absolutely beautiful on the oak guitar.

Cheers man... did you see the last Oak build I did

20140508_160348_zpse0c465d6.jpg

It makes a beautiful guitar but man do I have to fight this oak, its the hardest wood ive encountered yet and likes to break my router bits.. (which is probably why none of the big boys use it).. Also cos it has really long grain the chances of a split when your routing the body shape out is high.

it seems like often, things that are most worthwhile are hard, and sometimes involve risk. but wow, that stuff seems to really pay off when it works eh? i really dig it.

Indeed... that old saying.. the more you put in the more you will get out.. seems to apply to most of life :)

Wow, outstanding! Both gorgeous

Cheers man.. all the comments (whatever someone has to say) are well appreciated :)

Hopefully these two will finish this week..... then more videos [thumbup] (if you can all stand any more of my playing :P)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all...

Today I started putting the hardware on... I also discovered im missing a few small bits (toggle switch, output plate and some 500k pots) so I gotta order that and wait for it to arrive before I can fully finish... But it shouldn't take long..

So heres the awesome beechwood Arrow.. I got some Axesrus 50s classic humbuckers in there.. and those pot knobs are rosewood :D

DSC_0223_zpseb1e728f.jpg

DSC_0228_zps1f0ebc6f.jpg

DSC_0233_zps3a27433d.jpg

And heres the oak Hammer with humbucker sized P90s

DSC_0235_zps590c4f15.jpg

DSC_0236_zpsfd1a4063.jpg

DSC_0237_zpsbc3414dc.jpgDSC_0240_zps3505707b.jpg

So... not long now and these should be finished :D Cant wait to hear them.

More soon [thumbup]

Hello all...

Today I started putting the hardware on... I also discovered im missing a few small bits (toggle switch, output plate and some 500k pots) so I gotta order that and wait for it to arrive before I can fully finish... But it shouldn't take long..

So heres the awesome beechwood Arrow.. I got some Axesrus 50s classic humbuckers in there.. and those pot knobs are rosewood :D

DSC_0223_zpseb1e728f.jpg

DSC_0228_zps1f0ebc6f.jpg

DSC_0233_zps3a27433d.jpg

And heres the oak Hammer with humbucker sized P90s

DSC_0235_zps590c4f15.jpg

DSC_0236_zpsfd1a4063.jpg

DSC_0237_zpsbc3414dc.jpgDSC_0240_zps3505707b.jpg

So... not long now and these should be finished :D Cant wait to hear them.

More soon [thumbup]

I absolutely love the oak hammer. Hope it sounds as nice as it looks.

I absolutely love the oak hammer. Hope it sounds as nice as it looks.

Cheers man.. I wired it up today but didn't quite get the chance to finish it.. So hopefully tomorrow I will and we will get to hear what an Oak guitar with P90s sounds like :) Kind cool as really it was an experiment (and to think it started off as some spare kitchen surface top wood ;)), my first successful set neck and Hammer (hopefully :))

Hello to all still watching...

Been a bit slow this week.. Been waiting for parts to arrive and also my family is down from Manchester so we have five kids under the age of 7 and a one year old dog.. So you can imagine its hard to get anything done with all that... So this is another quickie.

But anyway, I am almost done, all the wiring is finished and tested and working well.. The oak one just needs a good fret crowning and level and the beech one needs a back plate which I made today but realised that the lip I have is not thick enough ](*,) which is odd as I thought I tested it and the oak one I made was literally perfect. And the beech build also needs its fret work done and they are both finished after that.

And the oak one with its P90s, wow, what an amazing sound it made when I tested it.

So heres the beech one..

DSC_0263_zps714eebc2.jpg

DSC_0264_zpsb4ddcc38.jpg

DSC_0266_zps83137dc3.jpg

And mr oak

DSC_0267_zps990166e3.jpg

DSC_0268_zps1c9b0169.jpg

DSC_0269_zpsbc943c7d.jpg

And also just as a side note ive been making my own truss rod covers.. With each fretboard I buy theres always a good two inches spare at the end so rather than through that wood out I thought they would make good TRC material :)

Arrow heads for my arrows ;)

DSC_0270_zpsd61e7418.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Rabs, I hope it's just the photos but it looks like, on the oak hammer, the bass side pole pieces are way outside the neck/bridge width? Please tell me I'm seeing things.

Rabs, I hope it's just the photos but it looks like, on the oak hammer, the bass side pole pieces are way outside the neck/bridge width? Please tell me I'm seeing things.

Wow.. well spotted.. and yes you are right.. Im not sure exactly what went wrong there but obviously my measurements were a bit out on this one.. But I have addressed it.. I had to take the studs out, fill the holes (with oak dowels I made) and then re, drill..

DSC_0267_zps0a0494eb.jpg

You cant see it from this side, but you can on the other :(

All part of my learning process I guess.. I wont do that again...

Helllooooooo :)

Yup.. today I finished both guitars off...

If im 100% honest they still arnt quite right (my builds in general) and when I say that I literally just mean the final set up.. Im not quite getting the fret crowning and levelling process right which means I have some dead spots (high frets I reckon).. But all is not lost, it just means some more detailed work to do in order to get them playing well.. Apart from that I am REALLY happy with all the other aspects of my builds.. So just this one last thing I need to get right and I have taught myself how to make a perfect guitar :)

Anyway.. so heres some shots of the finished articles. :)

DSC_0298_zps86f35fc7.jpg

DSC_0300_zps090fd300.jpg

Notice my hand made Trussrod Cover which is made from Ebony :D

DSC_0301_zpsfc3fac6e.jpg

DSC_0304_zpsc805af63.jpg

DSC_0305_zpsa22b3df9.jpg

DSC_0306_zpsa6806510.jpg

DSC_0302_zpse00ff6ea.jpg

DSC_0316_zpsd060d896.jpg

DSC_0313_zps89fa74de.jpg

Really happy with this Wilkinson hardware... (and the pups) all good stuff a good prices.

DSC_0314_zps99bdfb00.jpg

So there we have it.. Two more builds done (and in my quick test that Oak one sounded just amazing).. I am way to knackered to do a vid today, but I may have tomorrow off and do some playing through my new amp :D

I will post some vids soon so you can hear them.

As always.. Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy.. Next is my half and half guitars.. Now these should be REALLY interesting ;)

Archived