Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone play Folk instruments?

Gibson Artist

Like the mandolin? banjo? dulcimers? ukuleles, banjoleles? I am more of a strummer than a picker at guitar and was considering a mandolin or banjo? The 3 finger technique of the banjo looks a little difficult to master but i love the sound of a proficient player but the mandolin kind of makes me think of renaissance times and i was wondering what is the difference in sound between an A type and F type? Anyone players or knowledgeable replies welcome :)

I toyed with a banjo years ago and in the past year or so bought another. Don't let the finger picking put you off. It's really a combination of 3 or 4 basic "rolls" or patterns and you'd be surprised how good you can sound. I also have a ukelele that I will admit to not having spent enough time with.

There's a bit of an adjustment to the different tunings from the guitar, but there is so much stuff on YouTube, et al that it's almost a crime not to explore other instruments that are similar if you have that interest. Think Roy Clark, McCartney, et al

I toyed with a banjo years ago and in the past year or so bought another. Don't let the finger picking put you off. It's really a combination of 3 or 4 basic "rolls" or patterns and you'd be surprised how good you can sound. I also have a ukelele that I will admit to not having spent enough time with.

There's a bit of an adjustment to the different tunings from the guitar, but there is so much stuff on YouTube, et al that it's almost a crime not to explore other instruments that are similar if you have that interest. Think Roy Clark, McCartney, et al

Ive found a banjo and a dulcimer im interested in since beginner ones can be had cheap, its just a question of which i would want first?

I've got a 1929 "The Gibson" tenor banjo. I bought it on a whim when I found out one of my favorite jazz guitarists started out on tenor banjo.

Decided I didn't really have the time, effort or inclination to learn the different chord fingering for the proper "cello tuning". Experimented with "bottom four" guitar tuning with a little better results, although not really my cup of tea. I have used it this way on a couple of "Dixieland" gigs (another of which is tomorrow). After that I'm putting it up for sale.

I actually started on the banjo. Spent months on "Worried Man" but found the finger rolls maddening - the precision required just slayed me. I picked up guitar shortly thereafter. I have a mandolin but have not messed with it much. Very tight fingering. I figure one day (now that I'm a bit more accomplished in the right hand technique) I might go back and try the banjo again.

I actually started on the banjo. Spent months on "Worried Man" but found the finger rolls maddening - the precision required just slayed me. I picked up guitar shortly thereafter. I have a mandolin but have not messed with it much. Very tight fingering. I figure one day (now that I'm a bit more accomplished in the right hand technique) I might go back and try the banjo again.

I suppose with the mandolin a smaller guy like me 5'8 would have smaller fingers so it might be easier, the banjo does look like it could take some time tho. The one thing i have noticed is a few of these folk type instruments are pretty affordable.

I've got a 1929 "The Gibson" tenor banjo. I bought it on a whim when I found out one of my favorite jazz guitarists started out on tenor banjo.

Decided I didn't really have the time, effort or inclination to learn the different chord fingering for the proper "cello tuning". Experimented with "bottom four" guitar tuning with a little better results, although not really my cup of tea. I have used it this way on a couple of "Dixieland" gigs (another of which is tomorrow). After that I'm putting it up for sale.

is that a re issue or an actual gibby from 29? Got any pictures?

I played the mandolin for a while back when I was very young and liked it.

My father bought one (a late 19th C. Neapolitan 'Bowl-Back') when I was tiny and it was the first stringed instrument I ever played.

I dusted it down a few years back so my daughter could experiment with it (as in my avatar).

It was only when I tried to play it myself I realised just how tiny the fretboard is! I had completely forgotten.

It's a fun instrument and can be rewarding with not too much angst involved but it really does suit people with smaller, narrower digits.

P.

If you're a strummer, I say banjo. You can play clawhammer and you never have to worry about a roll. Check out youtube for clawhammer or frailing videos and I think you'll get excited about the sound.

The novelty of strumming a mandolin wears off pretty quick. And if you want to get mando-like tones, or at least into the mando register, capo the banjo at the 12th fret.

If you're a strummer, I say banjo. You can play clawhammer and you never have to worry about a roll. Check out youtube for clawhammer or frailing videos and I think you'll get excited about the sound.

The novelty of strumming a mandolin wears off pretty quick. And if you want to get mando-like tones, or at least into the mando register, capo the banjo at the 12th fret.

Great advice, i wonder if banjos come with those 3 finger picks or if you have to buy them seperate? I assume the latter..

I just put in my order with musiciansfriend for the Epiphone mb-100 banjo. Im excited, it should be here by Friday.

For banjo you'll likely end up getting National metal fingerpicks. I still have some antique "Dobro" brand clear thumbpicks that IMHO are best for banjo - and even using a thumb and fingerpicks on guitar or autoharp. I don't think they make 'em any more. But note that they had a sharp "V" shape to the end of the pick 'stedda a "U."

You may wish, though, to start with an open G tuning like the bluegrassers usually use, and do some frailing. Gets you used to the fingerings and it's not all that hard to do.

Dulcimer is an interesting drone sorta sound, too - and works will with summa that older style mountain music.

Mandolin is fun playing with somebody else playing guitar. The fiddle tuning is a bit to get used to.

I played that stuff quite a bit in the late 60s, then again off and on in the mid 70s. Great fun.

m

I just put in my order with musiciansfriend for the Epiphone mb-100 banjo. Im excited, it should be here by Friday.

Congratulations! I just picked up a used Epi MB-200 off ebay. Almost 20 years old, but it looks like it's barely been played. The strings were on backwards, like for a left-hander, so it needs re-stringing. Probably needs a set-up, and my tech's on vacation! Looking forward to doing a little pickin and grinnin. [thumbup]

Archived