Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45tv, J 35 Collectors Edition, Advanced Jumbo Mystic Rosewood or LG-2 Americana

B1ues Boy

Which would you choose and why

I have to choose one and I have to wait 3 months or more to get my dream guitar

I'm a singer song writer and I play classic rock, Country rock, oldies, and folk

I've played in bands with amps for ever and I have a very nice Hand Made Washburn Southern Jumbo J-45 copy made in around 1985ish which sounds more like a Goodall Jumbo

The options here are kind of all over the map in terms of size, woods, scale. And price. Hands-on time would be the best way to sort it out. Given your musical interests, tho, Id say the AJ is the outlier here. G'luck.

The options here are kind of all over the map in terms of size, woods, scale. And price. Hands-on time would be the best way to sort it out. Given your musical interests, tho, Id say the AJ is the outlier here. G'luck.

Yeah the Advanced Jumbo is more boomy then the rest but it sure is a nice guitar

AJ Would be my choice.......since your in a band but for a Singer Songwriter I would pick the J45 TV... I prefer the 24.5 scale.

I Have a Mystic RW J45 sounds like RW the Mystic sure is pretty not sure if it's tone is that much different the any RW Gibby but I only have 1 good ear.

Jmhofwiw

With the obvious caveat "if it were me", I'd go for the J45TV or the LG-2. The rosewood would have to be excused because I find mahogany the way to go for human voice accompaniment/recording and because of the longer scale on an AJ. If you play plugged in most of the time I'd pick the LG just because the smaller body is more comfortable and playing into an amp negates any need for extra body size. That leaves the J-45 or J-35 and I guess you could flip a coin there but down the road the TV might be easier to sell if you ever change your mind. That's how my rationalization process would go.

There is no formula for picking a guitar. It is a matter of matching the guitar's temperment with that of the player. And for many of us that involves a lot of trial and error. Sounds to me like you are pretty much a strummer. This is where Gibsons leave many others in the dust. Personally from the music you say you like (I do hate that classification of "classic rock" - only two kinds of rock & roll which are good and bad) I would be looking at a Hummingbird. But that's me. Does not mean much of anything for anybody else.

Like others have said, the J45 /35 has that mide range push and vocal sound that is well-suited to the signer-songwriter thing. the LG2 does the same thing is a smaller package (similar tone/less boom). When I suggested that the Aj is an outlier, its because the longer scale/tighter string tension makes for more note separation and greater volume. That boom/clarity is great for string band work; I do not find it optimal for solo picking, although some folks do (Jinder, a s/sw who drops by here from time to time, comes to mind). But a lot of s/sw's are looking for the chordal blend/ choir effect that you get with a J45 (early James Taylor and Bud Dolen., Slaid Cleaves, Patti Griffin).

Like others have said, the J45 /35 has that mide range push and vocal sound that is well-suited to the signer-songwriter thing. the LG2 does the same thing is a smaller package (similar tone/less boom). When I suggested that the Aj is an outlier, its because the longer scale/tighter string tension makes for more note separation and greater volume. That boom/clarity is great for string band work; I do not find it optimal for solo picking, although some folks do (Jinder, a s/sw who drops by here from time to time, comes to mind). But a lot of s/sw's are looking for the chordal blend/ choir effect that you get with a J45 (early James Taylor and Bud Dolen., Slaid Cleaves, Patti Griffin).

Thanks....Good advice

I have a 1999 HD-28V, a 1947 LG-2, a 2007 J-45TV, and Taylor GC BTO Redwood sinker top and EIR back and sides. My go to guitar is the J-45TV hands down. So for me, my advice to you, since you can only choose one, would be: first choice the J-45TV and second the J-35. I love all my guitars but for the sound and comfort (meaning the short scale), the J-45TV is it. Plus, that guitar will handle the different types of music you play.

By the way, I do have one guitar that surprisingly is hard to put down; my Loar LO-16BK. A fantastic playing and sounding blues guitar. It is loud and with instantaneous response.

I have a 1999 HD-28V, a 1947 LG-2, a 2007 J-45TV, and Taylor GC BTO Redwood sinker top and EIR back and sides. My go to guitar is the J-45TV hands down. So for me, my advice to you, since you can only choose one, would be: first choice the J-45TV and second the J-35. I love all my guitars but for the sound and comfort (meaning the short scale), the J-45TV is it. Plus, that guitar will handle the different types of music you play.

By the way, I do have one guitar that surprisingly is hard to put down; my Loar LO-16BK. A fantastic playing and sounding blues guitar. It is loud and with instantaneous response.

Good info on The Loar LO-16BK I found this video of the guitar on YouTube the natural top LO-16 in this video sound tight and crisp the Black one sounds just OK what do you guys think

I put an LR Baggs M1A Active in the Loar (found a good used one for sale on the Acoustic Guitar forum for $100.00) and the guitar is killer sounding plugged in. It really has the old blues guitar sound whether it is plugged in or played acoustically. I highly recommend the guitar. On the you tube video the natural guitar could be sounding different due to a lot of things such as where the mic was in relation to that guitar and the black one. Here is a really good video of the Loar being played.

Archived