Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer Also Off The Listings

capmaster

After reading about the "standard" Flying V's disappearance, I checked for the Explorer and found it is gone, too. [crying]

What will happen in 2015? Perhaps they will release a more "traditional" Explorer, or even advanced models featuring coil splits? I would like one with natural finish and a piezo bridge... [wub]

limited run, more like "watch it go out of stock in 15 minutes" run. seriously, I can only get a Gibson guitar out of the internet or when im travelling. so limited runs are intangible to me :( so they wont release any standards this year? that would REALLY suck. I've been craving the V for a whole year now

Both Explorers and Vs have been limited production models for a long time, they only make them in batches maybe once a year.

There is just not enough demand for these Gibson models specially with so many look-a-like models in the market.

How do I know? I bought my Explorer in Natural color in 2008 from Musicians Friend, the Explorer I received was a dog, lots of finish problems and a 1mm stress gap in the neck joint, also, going by the serial number the guitar had been sitting in the case, sealed for a year and it smelled absolutely terrible. I returned it and my order went to backorder and I had to wait 8 months for a brand new Explorer.

Another reason I waited is that I had used a 20% off coupon right before Gibson increased their prices back then. In the end I paid $900 for my brand new Explorer case and all shipped.

what the..? how is that even possible? IS that even possible? could a guitar be released before gibson even hints of it in their website? or is this an off chance that it could be fake because of the demand? i mean lets face it, the rock/metal scene is kind of creeping back slowly and thats what guitarist kids are into [tongue]

but seriously, i thing its a fake, or something really fishy is going on here..

unless it's one of them pre-order thingimijigs

American Musical Supply is a legit dealer, I have bought a lot from them.

What's fishy about it?

Dealers will post stuff on their websites before Gibson does because it is competitive out there. $2k for a V is absolute overkill

Also, when there are models that are exclusive to a dealer sometimes Gibson does not put those in their website since they are very limited runs.

American Musical Supply is a legit dealer, I have bought a lot from them.

What's fishy about it?

Dealers will post stuff on their websites before Gibson does because it is competitive out there. $2k for a V is absolute overkill

Also, when there are models that are exclusive to a dealer sometimes Gibson does not put those in their website since they are very limited runs.

woah. That tips the scales in my knowledge of guitar sales so that it all makes sense. so THATS how limited runs are completely intangible to me.

you gotta tell me what to do if i dont live in the States :( theres not a single gibson retailer in my area so i can only shop at international-online dealers. which kind of really sucks.

on a positive note, ITS FUNNY YOU MENTION LZZY HALE BECAUSE I LOVE HALESTORM [drool] that fine explorer would make a great guitar lineup

After reading about the "standard" Flying V's disappearance, I checked for the Explorer and found it is gone, too. [crying]

What will happen in 2015? Perhaps they will release a more "traditional" Explorer, or even advanced models featuring coil splits? I would like one with natural finish and a piezo bridge... [wub]

Check these then :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Gibson-USA/Flying-V-120.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Gibson-USA/Flying-V-History.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Explorer-120.aspx

Almost double the usual price. What made it 800 bucks more expensive? Is the anniversary inlay made of mammoth tusk? Shouldn't the PLEK service make it cheaper since a lot of paid craftspeople aren't encumbered as they used to be? ..unless I'm missing something again.

Oh and the sound of the v died with the overused pickups.. I get that a lot of you folk like them BUT THEY ARE OVERUSED AND OVERRATED

Archived