Gibson Brands Forums

Something a bit stray of the norm here

slimjimdom

So I was playing my BFG today, and tweaking with the amps and pedals trying out some different things. Let me tell you, it was fun! as soon as I dial in a tone that speaks to me, its like unlocking the combination on my fingers. Everything flows better, sounds better, licks start coming together so much easier. Great stuff, had a good day to relax and enjoy my guitars. I think i have finally bonded with my BFG.

hey elessar820...dont mean to hi-jack the thread but i have a melody maker too and i am curious what pickup you have installed on yours...i was gonna do a dog-eared p-90 but i am not too handy with a router so i was looking for something less invasive...thanks

It's a DiMarzio ProTrack. I had to sand out some of the cavity, but more needs to be done. Sounds great.

It's a Les Paul BFG Limited Silverburst' date=' killswitch in the selector spot, 2 volume, 1 tone, Burstbucker 3 in the bridge and P90 in the neck. Slimjimdom has one too, but rewired to 2 volume,2 tone in Bullion Burst. http://wiki.gibson.com/LP%20BFG.ashx[/quote']

Yep, elessar is right, same guitar wired differently. traditional les paul 2 volume 2 tone with 500k cts pots and different cap values. I'm still debating on going back to the original configuration but with one volume 2 tone. If that's possible.

handsome devil eh? thats the 15 watt right? is it 2 channel?

thank you' date=' i love seeing new/different electronic setups[/quote']

as elessar said that's the factory bfg setup.

here are some before and after pics for reference. also a pic of my first original bfg (sent it back)

before

DSC05810.jpg

after, I've since removed the selector ring and put the creme switch tip back on, much better.

100_3741.jpg

and

IMG00083.jpg

Yep' date=' elessar is right, same guitar wired differently. traditional les paul 2 volume 2 tone with 500k cts pots and different cap values. I'm still debating on going back to the original configuration but with one volume 2 tone. If that's possible.

handsome devil eh? thats the 15 watt right? is it 2 channel?[/quote']

Yeah, it's possible, Strats are like that. I have a .22 paper in oil Vitamin Q cap in mine now, the tone is usable now. The Handsome Devil is pretty sweet, 7/15 watt switchable, but single channel, awesome amp though. I usually set it clean and use a TS9 Tubescreamer and Boss Metal Core pedal with it. I wish it had reverb though.

...as soon as I dial in a tone that speaks to me' date=' its like unlocking the combination on my fingers. Everything flows better, sounds better, licks start coming together so much easier.

[/quote']

+1 on that. I find that the tone I've achieved has a huge impact upon the riffs/licks I write.

I've just got one of the Ltd Ed Marshall 1923 50W Combo's (well, 1 of 500 worldwide so reasonably limited!) and my 'riffage' has gone thru the roof!

I also set the mood right in my studio, with lighting etc.... Really put myself "in the zone".

+1 on that. I find that the tone I've achieved has a huge impact upon the riffs/licks I write.

I've just got one of the Ltd Ed Marshall 1923 50W Combo's (well' date=' 1 of 500 worldwide so reasonably limited!) and my 'riffage' has gone thru the roof!

I also set the mood right in my studio, with lighting etc.... Really put myself "in the zone".[/quote']

Nice! That sounds pretty slick. Got any pics of the LP and Marshall?

I sort of do the ambiance thing too from time to time, I have a few bar type light boxes on the walls and some blue lighting. Congrats on scoring such a limited Marshall.

Archived