Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

saturn

I'm sure some of you have read my earlier post regarding the tragic passing of my very good friend. Ed was mainly a drummer but also enjoyed playing bass, guitar and even a little keyboards, in addition to being a very good sound man and studio producer. Over the years he acquired quite a collection of drums, guitars, basses, live sound/PA and recording equipment.

Several nights ago, while assisting some of the family at his home, and retrieving some of our own equipment that was left in his house, the family members stated that they want most of his music gear to be divided amongst his band mates, since he derived so much pleasure over the years from playing and just hanging out with us. We were all a little hesitant because no one wanted to feel like we are making a grab for his stuff, but the family was insistent they would like to see it go to his friends and be used in his memory rather than be sold off to strangers.

Well, I was with him and helped him to pick out that Gibson Les Paul R7 in September 2008. I remember it like it was yesterday. We spent hours in Guitar Center playing every kind of guitar in there, but once we both got our hands on that R7, nothing else compared. He wasn't originally planning on spending that much, but he had the money and it was too nice to let go. He would bring it to many gigs and practices just for me to play over the years. So if that guitar was going to anyone but immediate family, everyone agreed it would be me. I would rather have my friend still here than own this guitar. Heck, it was available for me to use any time I wanted. But I would be lying if I tried to say I would rather that it went to someone else in this case.

Here are the photos we took on the day he brought it home. According to the Serial Number, it was the 181st 1957 Reissue made in 2008. There is a photo of him posing with it in the other thread.

Goldtop002.jpg

Goldtop004.jpg

When I got it home, I couldn't help noticing something I never noticed before when it was purchased or all the times I have used it since then. On the back side is a slightly raised square that is almost the perfect size and shape of an iphone. :-k It even has a circle and oval on opposite ends in the exact spot where they are on an iphone. But again, it is raised, not indented. Almost like the shape was routed out and filled back in.

Goldie1_zpsdcc1a372.jpg

Goldie3_zps3909db02.jpg

Goldie6_zps55df143b.jpg

Goldie7_zpsf69d815b.jpg

It does, I wonder if it was put there to avoid buckle rash.

Or could it have been a pickup testing guitar, it looks, as Saturn says, like it have been routed out and then put back again, but it´s hard to tell from a photo!

Saturn, Sorry for your loss, i can't imagine how i would feel if, my music mate (and best friend) since many year , should pass away :-(

Or could it have been a pickup testing guitar, it looks, as Saturn says, like it have been routed out and then put back again, but it´s hard to tell from a photo!

Hahaha, no it is not. It is clearly an iphone screeen protector.

If the thing is not glued in there anymore it was at some point and the glue reacted with the nitro, simple as that.

Hahaha, no it is not. It is clearly an iphone screeen protector.

If the thing is not glued in there anymore it was at some point and the glue reacted with the nitro, simple as that.

Well, it was a long shot [flapper]

The circumstances under which it came to you are tragic but I hope some solace can be had from remembering all the good times you shared with him every time you pick up the guitar.

P.

Saturn, HE would Want you to have that guitar. A part of him is there, everytime you pick it up.

Makes aboslute sense, to me, that you should have it. As the pain of his loss subsides,

and you remember only the great times together, it will make having, and playing that

guitar even more special. [thumbup]

CB

The circumstances under which it came to you are tragic but I hope some solace can be had from remembering all the good times you shared with him every time you pick up the guitar.

P.

Saturn, HE would Want you to have that guitar. A part of him is there, everytime you pick it up.

Makes aboslute sense, to me, that you should have it. As the pain of his loss subsides,

and you remember only the great times together, it will make having, and playing that

CB

I heartily second these emotions and opinions. This awesome keepsake will be a holy grail of tone for you as unique and one-of-a-kind as can be, dedicated to you by all the things Ed and you shared with your pals for many years. I am absolutely sure you will prove yourself worth owning and playing this great guitar. So you may take it as a twist of fate that unwittingly you chose this guitar for yourself then, and couldn't have done any better, for Ed as well as for yourself. [thumbup]

wow.. that is a pretty incredible out come to what is a very tragic story.

I think, If I was the unfortunate one to have passed like that, I would love to know that some of my closest buds would be able to carry on the music when I no longer could..

the rectangle is weird, but I think the guys here got it right.. must have had the idea it would prevent buckle rash, but probably not realizing the issue it would cause with the nitro.

Looks like a screen protector stick on. I think you can just peel it off. [biggrin]

Well DAMN! Surfpup got it right off the bat. I feel like such a dunce now. [blush]

That is so Ed to do something like that. It's staying on there for sure even though I rarely even wear a belt. B)

CB

I concur...

I have access to my drummer's 4 guitars and a bass that he inherited in just such a manner. I always treat them with the care I would have were it a friend of mine that passed and the family handed them down to me. If we do a gig where I or another band-mate is using them, my drummer invites the family of the deceased friend so they can see them in action the way the individual intended...

I didn't know the guy, but I get it...

No way to buffer the sting of the loss, but by sharing that same communion with others as he shared with you will be the way to pay it forward and keep his legacy alive!

Good on ya Saturn!

Well DAMN! Surfpup got it right off the bat. I feel like such a dunce now. [blush]

That is so Ed to do something like that. It's staying on there for sure even though I rarely even wear a belt. B)

Cool. Leaving it on there is a fitting tribute. I too inherited a LP so I understand a bit about how you are feeling. In my case it was left to me by my father-in-law but we did get talk about it beforehand. Later, I had an engraved truss rod cover made with his biker nickname on it and I keep a picture of him tucked in the control cavity.

Cool. Leaving it on there is a fitting tribute. I too inherited a LP so I understand a bit about how you are feeling. In my case it was left to me by my father-in-law but we did get talk about it beforehand. Later, I had an engraved truss rod cover made with his biker nickname on it and I keep a picture of him tucked in the control cavity.

That's a good idea SP. Thanks. I was thinking of having something put on the back, but I like the TRC idea. Since it's an R7, it is already blank. I am certainly going to keep the photo of him posing with it, in the case.

Ya know, after playing this guitar at home for awhile, I'm reminded now why we both originally fell in love with it back when he bought it. Even if I discard my obvious sentimental attachment, I can't deny the superior sound and workmanship of this instrument.

I plugged it in to a real amp for the first time since it's been at my home, and was blown away at how nice it played and sounded. So many times before I have played it at gigs and jams, but with all the distractions I kind of forgot to notice how much more nice it played. I'm not sure if it's the BB pickups, the wood or what. But when it was just me and the guitar, I could really hear how much more mellow and smooth it sounds compared to the LP Studio. Especially the neck pickup. I still love my Studio, and for band situations might even prefer it to the R7. But comparing just the guitars side-by-side, the R7 is a few steps above in workmanship, playability and sound. Even with the fat, baseball bat neck. [rolleyes]

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion SP.

IMG_0174_zps765ae2f6.jpg

I did a search and found this site to order the engraved TRC. Philadelphia Luthier Tools and Supplies is a nice site for anyone into modding guitars and basses. And the take Paypal. I also ordered a cream colored pickup ring for my Kokocaster (on Pippy's suggestion).

Archived