Gibson Brands Forums

NPBD!

Ryan H

Figured it was time to make myself a pedalboard. Up until now my pedals have just been strewn across the floor with patch cables and power cables everywhere...needed something more practical.

So I give you; the first incarnation of my pedalboard:

OyRMLmo.png

It's a Pedaltrain Jr, which is their third smallest. Don't want or need a massive board. It's perfect for my needs. The gig bag is nicely made too.

The signal chain is as follows: Guitar->MXR Distortion III(as a boost and treble rolloff)->JHS Angry Charlie->ZVex Super Duper 2-in-1->Ibanez AD-99->Boss RC-3->Marshall JCM800 set clean.

Still to come: A tuner (Boss TU-3 most likely), volume pedal(JHS modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.) and probably the Analogman Mini Chorus...I think I can fit one more pedal on after that...maybe a fuzz or something.

And yes, the cabling is kinda sh!t right now, but my local guitar shop just got George L's cable kits in so I'll be purchasing one of those soon enough...

-Ryan

Nice!

I bought a pedalboard a few years ago but have never put it together. It is a Coffin Case board/case and it is great for the $50 that I paid but these Pedaltrains look great.

My issue is that I can never commit to hooking it all up and since I do not gig I end up just using 2 or 3 pedals at the time.

That Voodoo Labs power source seems the one to have.

Nice!

I bought a pedalboard a few years ago but have never put it together. It is a Coffin Case board/case and it is great for the $50 that I paid but these Pedaltrains look great.

My issue is that I can never commit to hooking it all up and since I do not gig I end up just using 2 or 3 pedals at the time.

I'm in the same boat as you. I finally put together a board primarily to leverage the power source and cable management. Pedals are messy.

I also did the mod that adds these to the board: http://www.redco.com/Redco-PM-TRS-TRS.html It's easy to find instructions online. It makes the whole thing cleaner, and I don't have to worry about leaving room for input/output cables on the top of the board. I'm really happy with it.

That said, it does make me wish I had an easy way of going from regular pedal board to a mini pedal board easily, but it is what it is.

Welcome to boardville, Ryan.

It's definitely much better than individual wall warts or a One-Spot. Super quiet, consistent voltages, the switchable outputs so you can run either PSA or ACA pedals (like some old Boss pedals) as well as any high-current gear (Line 6 stuff) and the sag controls on outputs 7 and 8 are great for oldschool dirt boxes and fuzzes...

The fact that the Pedaltrain Jr. and larger come with the brackets to mount them is nice too.

-Ryan

i noticed you had the foresight to say "first incarnation" they're never really done, are they? hahahahahaha i have the same one, and it's great! seems like alot of real estate when you open the box. then you blink, and suddenly there's not enough room for the new pedal you just bought. but imo, the jr is the best bargain of them all. good job! beats the hell outta keepin 'em in a cardboard tray from a case of beer, eh?

[thumbup]

i use a daisy chain and my board is slam full. i don't have any problems with noise. if i play the LP i rarely have more than 2 pedals on anyhow. the strat will sometimes use 3 or more for brief moments

I have a Pedaltrain Jr. with the power unit too. I have an amp channel/boost box, a Barber Small Fry drive pedal, a wah, a delay pedal and a tuner. It's just my size. The tuner, wah and drive pedal are before the amp and the delay is in the effects loop, along with a reverb unit.

D9BCE2AD-617A-4489-BD8C-C4B6B70BD05A_zpsivi1gxec.jpg

I have a Pedaltrain Jr. with the power unit too. I have an amp channel/boost box, a Barber Small Fry drive pedal, a wah, a delay pedal and a tuner. It's just my size. The tuner, wah and drive pedal are before the amp and the delay is in the effects loop, along with a reverb unit.

D9BCE2AD-617A-4489-BD8C-C4B6B70BD05A_zpsivi1gxec.jpg

I'm kind of blessed that my amp doesn't have an FX loop ('84 JCM800). Because I run my amp clean and use pedals for all of my dirt, I can run the delay straight in the front and it sounds perfect...plus if I need to set up at a gig or a jam, I only need to plug into the wall, 1 patch cable from guitar to board, 1 from board to amp. No fiddling with loops :P

But I digress,

-Ryan

I dig the available cable options for the Voodoo Labs power source, i was precisely looking at them a few days when EVOL! mentioned them.

Like the Line 6 stuff that runs on 2.5mm jacks and the reverse polarity cable that can be used for PNP pedals. The sag feature is nice to have right in the same unit too.

I dig the available cable options for the Voodoo Labs power source, i was precisely looking at them a few days when EVOL! mentioned them.

Like the Line 6 stuff that runs on 2.5mm jacks and the reverse polarity cable that can be used for PNP pedals. The sag feature is nice to have right in the same unit too.

It can also do 12V for some of the older ACA adapter Boss pedals. And even better, it has a slave outlet on the back beside the mains socket, so if you have a pedal that requires a specific adapter, you can run the adapter off the PP2 instead of plugging into another wall outlet.

And of course with Y cables you can get 18V from it. With the sag controls engaged, those two outputs go from about 8.96V down to about 3.94V. Tons of range.

-Ryan

And even better, it has a slave outlet on the back beside the mains socket, so if you have a pedal that requires a specific adapter, you can run the adapter off the PP2 instead of plugging into another wall outlet.

[thumbup] Good for something like an old Mutron? I knew what it was but wasn't sure how many milliamps it could handle etc. Of course I run my voltage sucking El Capistan on one of the 250ma outputs - the One Spot candle handle that.

These are my two PedalTrains as they look today. I move stuff around a lot. [biggrin] The big one generally stays at home (even though I have the road case for it) and I take the little one to gigs (in its little gig bag). I just moved stuff around some - took the little fuzz face off the gig board. Not sure I'm happy with it.

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

I have a question for any of you with the "mini" pedaltrain.

I see the dimentions on it are like 7" while my vox wah is like 9".

My question is, is there any room in the gig bag that comes with it for an inch over hang on either side?

I think the mini would do all I want, but I'd like my wah on it...........if it won't fit in the bag, I'll go up to the "JR"

NHTom

I have a question for any of you with the "mini" pedaltrain.

I see the dimentions on it are like 7" while my vox wah is like 9".

My question is, is there any room in the gig bag that comes with it for an inch over hang on either side?

I think the mini would do all I want, but I'd like my wah on it...........if it won't fit in the bag, I'll go up to the "JR"

NHTom

The bag for my Jr is a pretty tight fit width and length-wise. There's a little room towards the back of the bag, but not much...definitely not 1" on either side.

I can only imagine the Mini is just as tight.

-Ryan

Archived