Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-35 Collectors Edition

B1ues Boy

It's getting to the point that Gibson has made so many subtle variations on this theme that you're down to the details to even tell them apart. The specs on this read exactly like my '03 OJ. Neck profiles are probably different. The OJ has the small, dark sunburst that is...maybe...vintage-correct for 1934 or thereabouts. The OJ also has a slightly deeper body. But the big stuff - woods, bracing pattern. scale...identical. Come to think of it, an off-the-rack J-35 isn't much different, except for the sitka. Cosmetically, this one actually looks more like an OJ than a J-35...even a vintage, sunburst J-35.

Good to have options, I suppose, and the slope is, IMO, the best Gibson design, sonically speaking.

P

12 easy payments sounds great........but not the best price. I assume if you break it down they don't move on their price. Maybe I am wrong but this might be the catch.

I'm very happy with all the guitars mandolins I've bought from Zzounds and they'll match any price if you find it cheaper any where else

I'm very happy with all the guitars mandolins I've bought from Zzounds and they'll match any price if you find it cheaper any where else

Don't bet on it !

I got an e-mailed quote on a new Gibson and tried to get Zzounds to match it and they wouldn't I talked to every customer service rep they had.

They will match any advertised price but we all know that Gibson and Martin dealers can't advertise lower then MAP.

Don't bet on it !

I got an e-mailed quote on a new Gibson and tried to get Zzounds to match it and they wouldn't I talked to every customer service rep they had.

They will match any advertised price but we all know that Gibson and Martin dealers can't advertise lower then MAP.

Yes your right any advertised price but I've bought off of Amazon at lower then MAP price and they've honored the price

But if you've bought off of Zzounds before you already know about the 12 payment deal and how good it is....my letting everyone know that Zzounds are offering a great guitar like the Gibson J-35 Collectors Edition is my point :-)

Very nice looking Gibson.

Personally, if I were going to spend $2900, I'd prefer a TV J-45 or TVSJ.

$3599 for J-45TV $599 more then the J-35CE

One of the main differences in the J-45TV is that the Adirondack braces use Hyde glue "Big Positive" and the J-35CE doesn't but the J-35CE has a wider neck which is a "Big Positive" but maybe there are more differences then that....I don't know,

Can someone with better knowledge help out with these guitars!!!

One of the main differences in the J-45TV is that the Adirondack braces use Hyde glue "Big Positive" and the J-35CE doesn't but the J-35CE has a wider neck which is a "Big Positive" but maybe there are more differences then that....I don't know,

Really? You can hear the glue? My guess...and it's only a guess, is that the TV is probably a lighter build, and that might be a big positive, depending on what you want to hear. Hide glue? Marketing, mostly. Logically, the glue might be able to have an effect on tone by creatng a better bond to the top or by simply adding less mass. And there are modern glue formulations that'll beat hot hyde glue, hands down, on both of those fronts. Not that you'd ever be able to hear it.

P

Really? You can hear the glue? My guess...and it's only a guess, is that the TV is probably a lighter build, and that might be a big positive, depending on what you want to hear. Hide glue? Marketing, mostly. Logically, the glue might be able to have an effect on tone by creatng a better bond to the top or by simply adding less mass. And there are modern glue formulations that'll beat hot hyde glue, hands down, on both of those fronts. Not that you'd ever be able to hear it.

P

Here is a interesting video about Hot Hyde glue and guitar building

Assuming the J-35 CE is a rebadged Fuller's 1939 Reissue, the structural differences between it and the J-45 TV are the neck profile (as you know), the back braces, and the bridge style. (It's been a while since I looked at the bridge plates with my inspection mirror--I THINK they were different, for whatever that's worth, but don't quote me.)

The back brace on the Fuller's (and presumably) the J-35 CE are the comparatively massive, rather low and wide back braces found on the Advanced Jumbo. The back braces on the J-45 TV are higher, thinner, and lighter. Both guitars have the Advanced Jumbos wide and forward shifted x-bracing on the top, and an Adi top.

In my experience with the Fuller's J-35, I would say it sounds somewhat dryer and fundamental driven than the J-45TV, which I also have. Both are great guitars.

Red 333

Assuming the J-35 CE is a rebadged Fuller's 1939 Reissue, the structural differences between it and the J-45 TV are the neck profile (as you know), the back braces, and the bridge style. (It's been a while since I looked at the bridge plates with my inspection mirror--I THINK they were different, for whatever that's worth, but don't quote me.)

The back brace on the Fuller's (and presumably) the J-35 CE are the comparatively massive, rather low and wide back braces found on the Advanced Jumbo. The back braces on the J-45 TV are higher, thinner, and lighter. Both guitars have the Advanced Jumbos wide and forward shifted x-bracing on the top, and an Adi top.

In my experience with the Fuller's J-35, I would say it sounds somewhat dryer and fundamental driven than the J-45TV, which I also have. Both are great guitars.

Red 333

According to a dealer I spoke to who has one of these J35 Collector editions, the guitar has the tall slender back braces that you see on the J45TV. It's also a lightweight guitar.

According to a dealer I spoke to who has one of these J35 Collector editions, the guitar has the tall slender back braces that you see on the J45TV. It's also a lightweight guitar.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification, fp.

Red 333

Just more blurring of the Gibson line as usual. J-35 regular at MF $1699 ...J-35 custom at Z's with sunburst and striped pick guard.... $2999. What a deal. At this rate soon the multiple hummingbirds will be $4500 per guitar. Waste of money in my opinion. I bought my new Gibson hummingbird for less than $2999. Why in Gods name would anyone pay almost $3000 for a colored J-35 with a fancy pick guard and the word Custom glued to back of the head stock and a few other doo dads? Red spruce top..ugh...

High thin back braces or old style low & wide,if this model resembles the Fuller's '39 J-35 reissue at all it is well worth the asking price.I own the Fuller's model and am not rationalizing my purchase(1.5 years ago) when I say it is an amazing Slope(Jumbo).I've now compared it to quite a few private builders as well as boutique "J's" and this is a fair price for this level of guitar....Btw,Fuller's stated to me(2 months ago) that by years end they "hope" to offer the limited edition '39 J-35 again.Supposedly Gibson can't currently keep up with normal demands.....but....Man 'o Man the Fuller's '39 J-35 RI is a magnificent guitar!

Why in Gods name would anyone pay almost $3000 for a colored J-35 with a fancy pick guard and the word Custom glued to back of the head stock and a few other doo dads? Red spruce top..ugh...

if this model resembles the Fuller's '39 J-35 reissue at all it is well worth the asking price. I own the Fuller's model and it is an amazing Slope(Jumbo).I've now compared it to quite a few private builders as well as boutique "J's" and this is a fair price for this level of guitar......Man 'o Man the Fuller's '39 J-35 RI is a magnificent guitar!

You do get what you pay for. Can't get around it. It's the same thing as the difference between std J45s and the TV/Legends. Once you've played one of the latter, or one of Fuller's customs, you'll hear what I mean. The difference in tone between mt FVG J35 and J45 std, or Natl VintageSteel vs say, a Republic, is..... there. The extent to which a given palyer can appreciate it depends a lot on skill level and style. But it's there.

Archived