Gibson Brands Forums

String gauge 13 to 12

iwalktheline

Hey guys, I know this topic has been brought up in the past but I just wanted some info. I just changed the strings on my Hummingbird from 13's to 12 and was just curious if there was anything I should look out for that would be some sort of an issue with intonation. So far it seems ok to me, I actually played along with some music to see if it would sound off but it hasn't yet, it honestly sounded spot on. And so far it has stayed in tune, I know it's early but I just wasn't really sure if it would need a neck adjustment. I hope not. I changed because I started to get cramps in my hand from the 13's. Any info or advice would be great.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've often switched back-and-forth between light and med-light strings without any issues. If I do get a buzz on a string, I try taking it down a step or two in tuning, then bring it back up, or I'll tune it higher to stretch the string a bit, then tune it down to where it should be. A few times I've given the truss rod a slight turn. Don't believe I've ever done more than this. I imagine your bird is fine and will remain that way. "The bird" is a gentle beast. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Done that countless times over the years and on most guitars nothing is needed except to just play it. Have adjusted relief on a couple as needed but not for intonation but string buzz as I flat pick fairly hard.

Don't worry about it & just play it and enjoy the change.

Archived