Gibson Brands Forums

Lefty guitar to a righty (Calling all lefties from Gibby forum!!!)

onewilyfool

OK…here it goes!! In a rather strange set of events involving a few convoluted trades…I now own a LEFTY SCGC PJ……one of their small body parlor guitars. Problem is…I'm a righty!! I have a luthier who has done a lot of neck resets, refrets, etc, and he is game to do the conversion, which would involve new bridge/saddle/nut. From everything I've read about conversions, specially on smaller body guitars, the top bracing pattern is not a big problem. will not cause structural failure!!! ….... But now I'm thinking, it would be a shame to change it, there are so few lefty guitars for left handers to choose from, it would be a shame to take one out of circulation…..lol…..so before I send it off, I wanted to see if there are any left-handers in the SFO/Bay area who would be interested to see and try out this guitar before I convert it. I can say , at least, I gave it a chance!! Not interested in shipping and all that, if interested, just email me through the Gibby site and We will connect with pics, and other info…..I'll give this a week or two to see if anyone is interested!!! Otherwise, I'll send it off and get it done!! Also, as usual, very interested in youse guy's opinions and comments!

I hadn't thought about taking a lefty out of circulation but once you mentioned it I liked the line of thinking. Converting though is something else. I think there is such a plethora of great instruments circulating around right now, at great prices, that it seems to make more sense to sell or trade with the PJ. Especially factoring in the "out of circulation" factor. My 2 cents.

Trade it in for something else.

It's hard to come by good lefty guitars as it is ...

You live in a right handed world ... and can walk into any guitar shop and find a holy grail

That lefty SC may be a holy grail for a lefty simewhere .

JC

Well JC…I'm hoping someone on the forum will contact me…….I'm open to getting it into some deserving lefty's hands!!

Well…I think I'm going to do it….biggest thing is replace the Bridge…This one os a '99 so the old bridge was a standard SCGC bridge..the new PJ's have a pyramid bridge, so we will go with that. Removal and replacement fairly straightforward. New saddle and nut…and I have a great couch guitar….lol….(these are MUCH more than couch guitars!!!)

Archived