Gibson Brands Forums

Updates!

Buxom

So, I found out yesterday that the Lace Sensors in my 1992 Fender Stratocaster are a matched set of pre-1989 Gold Lace Sensors.

Take a gander, if you will.

i6PvSVM.jpg

Anyways...

the "sound good" in respect to lace sensors happens to be a matter of great debate, and opinions vary vastly from player to player.

the good news about them is they are quiet, (that single coil buzz just isn't there)

on the other hand, the bad news about them is the can sound a little sterile in some situations. the do "clean" good, IMO they don't do harder edged sounds good to my ears.

So I guess it's really a matter of what you as an individual is doing.

I had a set of lace Gold sensors in my strat plus (95) - so not sure what changed in formulas from 89 to the mid 90s.. but this guitar came to life the day I pulled them out and put a set of Custom Shop Texas Specials in it.

so -> they weren't for me.

Lace Sensors killed Eric Clapton.

rct

I dunno, I think he's still holding his own...

True enough, that Lace Sensor tone of his in a Strat I describe as; "a little girl going tinkle."

But, it's HIS tone as un-Strat-like as it is, it is his tone... He loves that tone for whatever reason and it is truly distinctly his as a major star player, I don't think anyone else really cared for it much on that level of a player. (I could well be very wrong on this as I really haven't gotten into Lace Sensor or Strat following) It's pretty easy to tell it's him playing from Phil Collins songs/Albums to whomever he's playing-with...

Were I still a Strat guy this might hold much more interest for me, but I'm not...

Good on ya Buxom, if that's similar to us Gibson guys finding original T-tops in our LP's, then you must be rather enthused! Let that passion make you play more!

I always thought it was the strat itself.

I thought all this time it was the booze cocaine, and heroin... Silly me,, it was Lace Sensors! #-o

It was both; all downhill after Blind Faith. Never got trying to make a Strat not sound like a Strat and still having it sound like a$$.

I like the fact that with high gain they sound lo-fi, but with a little bit of a hard edge. That's what I've been looking for.

I'll add too that this is the only thing that matters.

It was both; all downhill after Blind Faith.

Ever read his Auto Bio?

I did, it's a pretty good read. I'd recommend it to anyone who is even a slight fan of the guy. Gives you a whole different perspective.

Ever read his Auto Bio?

I did, it's a pretty good read. I'd recommend it to anyone who is even a slight fan of the guy. Gives you a whole different perspective.

I have not, but I may need to check it out since I love rock bios. My criticism of Clapton is that he lost his edge and became so milquetoast. I understand that players change, but my favorites always either got louder or kept their edge.

For sure. Mostly that he is an alcoholic womanizing jerk! [lol]

Can't be any worse than Keith Richard's self-aggrandizing piece of rubbish. I got about a quarter into it and had to stop because it was making me nauseous.

Can't be any worse than Keith Richard's self-aggrandizing piece of rubbish. I got about a quarter into it and had to stop because it was making me nauseous.

I enjoyed Keith's book more than Eric's put it that way. A more enjoyable Clapton read

for me was Cream: How Eric Clapton Took the World by Storm

855602.jpg

BTW, for anyone who likes rock bios and Humble Pie, I would definitely recommend Jerry Shirley's book, Best Seat in the House...

10080286.jpg

For sure. Mostly that he is an alcoholic womanizing jerk! [lol]

I agree. One of the worst POS "Guitars Gods" ever. A boring author too.

You want a good "Rock Bio" check this one out.

Not My Cross to Bear

Sure, it has all his drugging in it, but somehow when you're reading the words, you can almost hear them coming from Gregg's mouth.

I really enjoyed reading it.

The best bio of Clapton is actually a semi-bio of Whitlock and a full bio of The Dominos entitled, oddly enough, Derek And The Dominos. I got it in FL at the big Virgin store in Disney World, read it, passed it along to someone in Canada. Truly showed the guy for what he was, a drunken bum following his weener and taking his band with him. Gazillions of dollars into toilets all over the world as he chased chix that wanted nothing to do with him. They were the greatest band ever, he ended up being one of the greatest dissapointments ever.

rct

Archived