Gibson Brands Forums

Nut or Tuners?

pwrmac7600

Hello all, New member here so this is my first post.

I recently purchased 2 Les Paul Traditional Pro II models, and I am having the same issue with both. When I tune, I turn my tuning keys and I don't see the note move much, and then BAM it jumps far past or beneath target. Now in my experience this is usually a issue with the strings sticking in the nut, but aren't these models supposed to have this new tektoid nut which is supposed to aleviate this problem? So then I thought maybe it is the grover locking tuners, I mean they do have a 14:1 gear ratio, but that's not to bad, just seems like I am turning the keys so much just to get the string to move a little. So which do you think it is, Nut or Tuners? I am guessing maybe I just need to wear in the nut a little, since the guitars are only about 2 weeks old.

opinions?

I guess this is commom with this guitar. When my 2013 Traditional was new, it was pinging pretty badly, going out of tune frequently during bending(G string mostly). Mine just has the regular tuners, non locking. I then went to a smaller string set(.10s to .09s) then the problem kind of went away. It still does it occasionally. I guess I still need to try the graphite. Anyways it just needs to be broken in. My luthier told me the nut groove is "V" shaped instead of "U" shaped.

I had a similar problem but in my case graphite was a solution. Now it never goes out of tune. Only when i have new strings on it but after restringing i strech them a little bit and problem solved. Every time i change strings i put a bit of graphite in the nut slots.

I guess this is commom with this guitar. When my 2013 Traditional was new, it was pinging pretty badly, going out of tune frequently during bending(G string mostly). Mine just has the regular tuners, non locking. I then went to a smaller string set(.10s to .09s) then the problem kind of went away. It still does it occasionally. I guess I still need to try the graphite. Anyways it just needs to be broken in. My luthier told me the nut groove is "V" shaped instead of "U" shaped.

Well that is why I was asking, because I am used to the "pinging" when it is sticking at the nut, and the tuning issues, but I am not having any pinging, and no tuning issues. Once it's tuned, it is fine, it's when I am tuning it that I notice it, just seems like it is jumping at the nut. But like I said, once it's tuned up its solid as a rock.

yep.. nut..

lube it up and that may help.. another thing you could try would be a small dab of Vaseline if you don't want to use graphite

Just dab some on a tooth pick and slip it it the slot, should help until you can get the nut slots properly regulated

(long term, keep Big Bends Nut Sauce on hand, stuff works really good.. you can check amazon.com)

Archived