Gibson Brands Forums

New tuners for my J-35

DRC

Well, I finally decided to order the LMI Gotoh GNS1 open back nickel tuners, got them today and just finished installing them on the J-35. Wonderful tuners and SOOOO much better than the factory tuners. Extremely smooth and a direct drop-in except for having to redrill the top screw hole for each tuner since the screw hole distance is just slightly wider on the GNS1. And since the GNS1 base plate is a bit longer than the factory tuners, the original hole is covered. Nice and clean. I left the original bushings in. To make sure I didn't drill into the original screw holes and possibly create a wider hole in the process, I used toothpicks to plug them, trimming the toothpicks at the headstock surface. I then used a pointed tool to mark the new hole, set the correct bit to the correct depth in the drill and had it all done in 30 min. When tuning, I like the feel of the butterbean buttons much better than the oval plastic of the originals, and also like the look of these tuners on the J-35. I've always preferred a 14:1 ratio so these 15:1 Gotohs are perfect. So much easier to fine tune than the VERY TIGHT original tuners.

Here's a link to the Gotoh tuners. Good price.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/tuning-machines/steel-string-tuners/gotoh-open-gear-tuners/open-gear-tuners/1799-gotoh-open-gear-nickel-nickel-buttons/flypage-noimage

I also ordered a new truss rod cover with white border from Sweetwater just to see how it would look, and I like it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRTR010/

When I get some time, I'll post some photos.

DC

I like the white trim on the Les Paul truss rod cover you added. Do the mounting holes line up if you use them on a J-35? I wouldn't mind adding one, but definitely not if I would have to drill new holes in the headstock.

I like the vintage look of the Kluson style tuners that come on the J-35's. Mine work perfectly and are not hard to turn at all.

I'm glad the tuners on other J-35s work well, but mine were a beast. I liked the brass gears too, but decided to keep it simple. I don't believe LMI sells them with any other button choice. I could have gotten Gotoh 510 (which look the same) with white button, but were about twice the price of the LMI Gotohs. Just wasn't worth it to me. All I wanted was nice, smooth tuners and these are fantastic. And I don't know why but white plastic buttons have always made a guitar look more "toyish" to me. These tuners make it look better to me. But we're all different. :)

tdrex.... yes, the truss rod cover with white trim is a Gibson product and fits perfectly. Screw holes line up perfectly.

Again, I'll try and get some photos posted.

DC

I'm glad the tuners on other J-35s work well, but mine were a beast. I liked the brass gears too, but decided to keep it simple. I don't believe LMI sells them with any other button choice. I could have gotten Gotoh 510 (which look the same) with white button, but were about twice the price of the LMI Gotohs. Just wasn't worth it to me. All I wanted was nice, smooth tuners and these are fantastic. And I don't know why but white plastic buttons have always made a guitar look more "toyish" to me. These tuners make it look better to me. But we're all different. :)

tdrex.... yes, the truss rod cover with white trim is a Gibson product and fits perfectly. Screw holes line up perfectly.

Again, I'll try and get some photos posted.

DC

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/tuning-machines/steel-string-tuners/gotoh-open-gear-tuners/open-gear-tuners-with-brass-gear/2995-gotoh-open-gear-gold-black-plastic-buttons-brass-gear/flypage-noimage

Thanks. Excellent tuners and I really like the open back, butterbean button look on this guitar...and the new truss rod cover.

What I like about these Gotoh open backs is Gotoh's patented self-centering guide. From the Gotoh web site: "Some say that because the main section and bushing are separate, it has been difficult to center the post on the bushing hole when attaching the assembly to the guitar. To solve this problem, the SE510 series (same as the LMI GNS1) is equipped with a self centering guide in the lower part of the main section, and in combination with the rock solid string post, any side-to-side movement is minimized, improving performance and durability." These are very smooth tuners.

BTW, no alterations to the post holes were necessary to accommodate the self-centering guide, and these tuners were a direct drop-in.

DC

I found it in e-bay. But now I see that I did not remember who was the dealer and I was searching half of an hour and found only that one:

Thruss rod cover

And it is not the same...msp_unsure.gif

sorry...

Thanks for looking that was nice of you....

I like your cover better but the other one is nice too...

I like this one too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mirror-Silver-Bullet-Mustang-Truss-Rod-Cover-for-GIBSON-Les-Paul-SG-ES/251558723576?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23769%26meid%3D7811566233860672274%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10163%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D251558722020&rt=nc

Well, I finally decided to order the LMI Gotoh GNS1 open back nickel tuners, got them today and just finished installing them on the J-35. Wonderful tuners and SOOOO much better than the factory tuners. Extremely smooth and a direct drop-in except for having to redrill the top screw hole for each tuner since the screw hole distance is just slightly wider on the GNS1. And since the GNS1 base plate is a bit longer than the factory tuners, the original hole is covered. Nice and clean. I left the original bushings in. To make sure I didn't drill into the original screw holes and possibly create a wider hole in the process, I used toothpicks to plug them, trimming the toothpicks at the headstock surface. I then used a pointed tool to mark the new hole, set the correct bit to the correct depth in the drill and had it all done in 30 min. When tuning, I like the feel of the butterbean buttons much better than the oval plastic of the originals, and also like the look of these tuners on the J-35. I've always preferred a 14:1 ratio so these 15:1 Gotohs are perfect. So much easier to fine tune than the VERY TIGHT original tuners.

Here's a link to the Gotoh tuners. Good price.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/tuning-machines/steel-string-tuners/gotoh-open-gear-tuners/open-gear-tuners/1799-gotoh-open-gear-nickel-nickel-buttons/flypage-noimage

I also ordered a new truss rod cover with white border from Sweetwater just to see how it would look, and I like it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRTR010/

When I get some time, I'll post some photos.

DC

I would like to get the truss cover that says Custom on it for the J-15 i will be purchasing. What strikes me as odd is on zzsounds the back of the headstock has the Custom shop logo but the same guitar from sweetwater does not? Did they change that?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBRS15

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS15ANNH

Gibson Artist... when the J-35 first came out, there were differences as well. Some had an angled headstock logo while some were straight. Some had the fretboard end at the rosette and touching the rosette, while some fretboards end ~1/4" from the rosette, which is the current build. Must be a Gibson thing and I can't keep up. I have a feeling Gibson decided to add the custom shop logo to the J-15 as an afterthought since the J-15 reviewed in the Acoustic Letter video published Feb 4 (one of the first J-15s) has no custom shop logo.

DC

The new tunners are REALLY FINE.

Yes, they're excellent and look nice on the guitar. You mentioned not liking the factory tuners on your J-35, and if you ever decide to replace them, I highly recommend these tuners.

DC

Archived