Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Storage

Randmo

This subject has probably been discussed previously.... but, I'm thinking of building a storage cabinet for my few guitars. My thought was to find an old Oak China Cabinet, modify and add some sort of humidity control system. I was looking at humidifiers and thought something like the HYDRA humidifier would work. In the southwest desert it gets pretty dry inside an air conditioned house.

Link to the HYDRA system.

HYDRA-LG.jpg

Hey, that might work. A small dedicated instrument room with a room humidifier works for me. And Hunidi-paks - and soap dish sponges. Its a Saturday morning ritual here in the semi-arid Rocky Mountains to replenish all the water levels. I suppose you'd have to coat the interior of that chest with something, otherwise all that drying oak will steal all you effort.

Just let them live in the dry AC environment and let the woods acclimate to the atmosphere slowly, like your furniture. To pull them out of a humidified container and then play while they adjust to whatever the RH in that environment is will cause sudden change conditions...the worst thing for woods under string tension.

Just let them live in the dry AC environment and let the woods acclimate to the atmosphere slowly, like your furniture. To pull them out of a humidified container and then play while they adjust to whatever the RH in that environment is will cause sudden change conditions...the worst thing for woods under string tension.

I'm new at all of this, but I think th A/C environment is too dry (25% sometimes less) . I wouldn't think pulling it out of a cabinet that is humidified wouldn't be any different than pulling it out of a case with a humidipak.

I very rarely take the guitar anywhere, I'm just a home hibbiest

Archived