Gibson Brands Forums

does anyone have any info on this 70's model 12 string

lucille64

I found this Epiphone 12 string, battered and worn but still maybe able to be restored.

Do any members have any information, details or knowledge of how good a model this 12 string was back in the 70's ?

does anyone know if it is a completely laminated body or solid woods ? It apparently was made in Kalamazoo I believe

Any info would be very helpful....................

_57_zps5e1643e0.jpg

_5711_zpsf969767a.jpg

57123_zpsddfbf931.jpg

57456_zpsbe4d97d4.jpg

s57432_zps659320c3.jpg

I found this Epiphone 12 string, battered and worn but still maybe able to be restored.

Do any members have any information, details or knowledge of how good a model this 12 string was back in the 70's ?

does anyone know if it is a completely laminated body or solid woods ? It apparently was made in Kalamazoo I believe

Any info would be very helpful....................

The FT-365 was made in Japan by Matsumoku (parent company of brands like Aria, Westone, Lyle et al)from about 1973 until about 1978. It's an all-laminated body (laminated rosewood back and sides, laminated spruce sound board) and while the neck does have a "heel" it's actually a bolt-on neck. The Epiphones of the early 70s weren't the best guitars ever made but not the worst either. These particular models were prone to separations of the neck where the neck meets the heel and because of the high string tension of the twelve strings, they're also prone to needing neck re-sets (which aren't "neck re-sets" in the traditional sense). The same string tension also causes problems with the bridge lifting. Because the sound board is laminated there's also the possibility of the lamination separating. If the guitar is in relatively good repair to begin with they can be quite functional. Since on their best day they aren't valued at much more than perhaps $225-$250 it would be cost-prohibitive to invest a great deal of money in repairs. They are pretty common and can be found in good repair at reasonable prices. While the interior label references "Kalamazoo" and is similar to the blue label used from 1958-1970 these guitars are made in Japan. If you look closely you can see where the "Made In Japan" printed below the border on the label has been cut away. This is also quite commonly found with unscrupulous sellers trying to pass the guitar off as an American-made model. Hope this information is of use to you. At the right price and in the right condition it could be a viable instrument but I'd be very hesitant to invest very much money in it.

The FT-365 was made in Japan by Matsumoku (parent company of brands like Aria, Westone, Lyle et al)from about 1973 until about 1978. It's an all-laminated body (laminated rosewood back and sides, laminated spruce sound board) and while the neck does have a "heel" it's actually a bolt-on neck. The Epiphones of the early 70s weren't the best guitars ever made but not the worst either. These particular models were prone to separations of the neck where the neck meets the heel and because of the high string tension of the twelve strings, they're also prone to needing neck re-sets (which aren't "neck re-sets" in the traditional sense). The same string tension also causes problems with the bridge lifting. Because the sound board is laminated there's also the possibility of the lamination separating. If the guitar is in relatively good repair to begin with they can be quite functional. Since on their best day they aren't valued at much more than perhaps $225-$250 it would be cost-prohibitive to invest a great deal of money in repairs. They are pretty common and can be found in good repair at reasonable prices. While the interior label references "Kalamazoo" and is similar to the blue label used from 1958-1970 these guitars are made in Japan. If you look closely you can see where the "Made In Japan" printed below the border on the label has been cut away. This is also quite commonly found with unscrupulous sellers trying to pass the guitar off as an American-made model. Hope this information is of use to you. At the right price and in the right condition it could be a viable instrument but I'd be very hesitant to invest very much money in it.

Thanks Gralst That is good solid information. They want 100.00 for it. I'll have to look at the neck closely. It wasn't strung up so that makes me think it may have neck or belly issues they didn't want to be obvious. It was in a small store and the guy said he didn't know much about it. Matsumoku factory made guitars can be very nicely built guitars at times so I'll take another look at it but this time better educated thanks to you.

The only reason I'm interested in this particular instrument is, being retired and a former builder of hand made instruments, it might make a nice refurbishing project for me. I could at least dabble back in the field of instrument repair again.

I'm thinking a joint steamer, some hide glue, some refinishing materials and a new bone nut and saddle might just give some life back to this instrument again.

Resetting the neck, reattaching the bridge if it needs it, a re-fret job and rebuilding the top bracing would be not much of a challenge but something entertaining to do.

just trying to stave off boredom. :) :)

"dabble" is probably a good word to use on this one. Not sure you could refurb it and make money off of it, especially at a $100 acquisition fee.

This is one of the 'better' Norlin models. Note the Spanish looking heel. The cheaper ones, like the 145 did not have a heel.

I've been told, but never been able to confirm it, that this type of neck was both bolted on AND glued. The best way I can describe it is that one or two lag bolts were threaded into the heel, then the bolts fit into holes in the sound-box. Nuts were then added on the inside. Glue had been applied to where the heel and sound box meet. (just a butt joint, no dovetail here). The neck was adjusted, then the nuts snugged up.

Be aware that these guitars may not have been assembled with hide glue that you may be used to. So, usual dis-assembly techniques may or may not work the same.

Good luck with the project.

Oh, and if you do refurb this one we want pictures. [woot] It's the rule here. If you do guitar repair, you just take pictures and post them.

"dabble" is probably a good word to use on this one. Not sure you could refurb it and make money off of it, especially at a $100 acquisition fee.

This is one of the 'better' Norlin models. Note the Spanish looking heel. The cheaper ones, like the 145 did not have a heel.

I've been told, but never been able to confirm it, that this type of neck was both bolted on AND glued. The best way I can describe it is that one or two lag bolts were threaded into the heel, then the bolts fit into holes in the sound-box. Nuts were then added on the inside. Glue had been applied to where the heel and sound box meet. (just a butt joint, no dovetail here). The neck was adjusted, then the nuts snugged up.

Be aware that these guitars may not have been assembled with hide glue that you may be used to. So, usual dis-assembly techniques may or may not work the same.

Good luck with the project.

Oh, and if you do refurb this one we want pictures. [woot] It's the rule here. If you do guitar repair, you just take pictures and post them.

TOMMYK never for a second considered re-selling it. That would be silly. It was just a thought to refurbish it but after careful consideration, I'm just going to pass on this one.

TOMMYK never for a second considered re-selling it. That would be silly. It was just a thought to refurbish it but after careful consideration, I'm just going to pass on this one.

Well, better luck next time.

I was thinking a "C" note was a bit steep for an unstrung 12 string. Maybe 20 - 30 bucks for the value of the tuners, but that's about it.

Archived