Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone had problems with guitar hangers?

Thunderous

I have had multiple guitars on hangers, but they all have base supports on the rear strap button, so there is very little stress on the neck. I have never had any neck problems, but I want to use a hand-shaped guitar hanger that looks cool, but has no base/bottom support. Is this safe for glued on necks? I know neck-through guitars have no worries, but I'll be hanging a few Gibsons.

There are no structural issues, or inherent problems with hanging a guitar from it's headstock.

The tension of the strings pulling everything between the headstock and bridge together is far greater than the weight of the guitar, hanging from it's headstock (pulling away from the bridge).

If you like playing with math, this might be a fun calculation.

I've had my '99 B7 hanging for most of its life. Zero issues with structural integrity or finish. I've also had Strats, Teles, Peaveys, Epis all hanging without problems.

I LOVE the convenience of having my guitars hanging or on stands right there in my face where it takes zero effort to hang one on and play. I've gone thru periods where they stayed in cases during moves, extended work travel and such. What a PITA. My guitars are players and are still pristine without being jailed :)

It's great that your guitars are free and not locked in a cage as wicked as they may be. I really like displaying my guitars and access is really easy. Most helpful when I just grab a different guitar in whatever tuning I need in an instant. (Most have tremolos) I have an upstairs living room that is my guitar room and a guitar is hanging in each available spot surrounding the room with autographed pictures, album covers and tons of guitar related stuff. I do keep my guitar room humidified at all times and frequently polish them so the dust does not start causing issues. I love that room. I'm happy to hear no one has had any issues with hanging their axe. I saw hangers called Guitar Grip and decided to hang my coffin shaped (Graveyard disciple Epiphone)guitar in the skeleton hand. I never play that guitar, but it looks interesting especially with a hand coming out of the wall holding it.

There are no structural issues, or inherent problems with hanging a guitar from it's headstock.

The tension of the strings pulling everything between the headstock and bridge together is far greater than the weight of the guitar, hanging from it's headstock (pulling away from the bridge).

L5 Larry,

Playing with math,really ? That is why I play music !eusa_whistle.gif

Just an FYI I used to run a music shop and found this out the hard way. If your guitar has a nitrocellulose finish stay clear of any wall hooks, or guitar stands that have the orange plastic like rubber tubing One company that comes to mind that makes them is Ultra stands. Anyhow, over time the rubber will eat away at your finish and cause a faded stripe on the back of the neck where it was hanging. I have no idea what type of chemicals are used to make those rubber things but for whatever reason they seem to have a chemical reaction when they come into contact with nitro finishes. Non nitro finishes seem to be fine.

Thanks for all the great info guys! I'll line it with felt. I have my other hangers with medical grade "template plastic" that I molded to the hanger with my dentist wife's equipment. I have not seen any sign of marks on any of the guitars. Even nitro after about 5 years now. The hanger I made holds the guitar by the strap buttons only. Just a metal 90 degree angle and a 1 inch wood block so the head bends back, but doesn't hit the wall.

A set of 10-46's strung to standard tuning on a 24-3/4 scale guitar creates about 97 pounds of total tension. So there ya go! No problem there!!

A set of 10-46's strung to standard tuning on a 24-3/4 scale guitar creates about 97 pounds of total tension. So there ya go! No problem there!!

well yea but BBP,, Weren't you are also the same dude that knew how to get bird s**t out of your man stuff, so obviously,-- brilliant!..

[thumbup]

OK, now what the weight of the guitar hanging from it's neck?

OK, now what the weight of the guitar hanging from it's neck?

If we use 9# for the guitar weight, then -- the strings are pulling up 97#, the body pulls down 9# ... net 88# upward force. How the heck does the guitar keep from floating out of the hanger?!!!

If we use 9# for the guitar weight, then -- the strings are pulling up 97#, the body pulls down 9# ... net 88# upward force. How the heck does the guitar keep from floating out of the hanger?!!!

The strings are pulling up on the stopbar and down on the tuning pegs so the axe stays put! Newtons second law.

The strings are pulling up on the stopbar and down on the tuning pegs so the axe stays put! Newtons second law.

Man, I lobbed one out there for a chance at a really creative response ... and you respond with facts? - LOL

Archived