Gibson Brands Forums

Epi g400 sg 12 string conversion

powersun

So here I am, 17 years old coming to the realization that I am simply just a "fender guy'. I find myself with a g400 I bought about 5 years ago that I never play anymore. I hate to see it sit there but I know I can't make any money off selling it. So I've decided the best thing I could do with this would be to somehow make it into a 12 string. I know this project would be a huge deal but I'd like to have some other people point things out; complications, problems I'm bound to run into.. If I CAN pull this off, I would probably switch out the stock humbuckers for some lower output p-90s, or if I really feel like making things interesting, Jazzmaster pups to make this thing sound and look really unique. I'd love to hear some thoughts/opinions on this, thanks

Welcome. SGs are not know to have the most stable necks, as a rule. I got lucky with my G400, but others haven't been. I would think that adding 6 more strings to the mix would just make things worse. As for pickups, I'd consider something without pole pieces, like a Firebird pickup. If you do go P-90, don't go cheap. You'll want something with some presence to them. Out-of-the-box idea, though. In my mind, throwing more money and time on something you don't play much doesn't pencil out. If it were me, I'd sell it for what I could get, and find a Danelectro 12. They're fairly inexpensive, a ton of fun and overall, would cost you less. But then I do understand the draw of taking on a project for the sake of having a project. If you do go through with it, document with pictures. Good luck, keep us posted.

Neck dive would be a REAL issue if you put 6 more tuners on there. Plus there may not be enough room. You could go with the pickup changes, i'm sure it'd change the sound of the guitar for the better.

So here I am, 17 years old coming to the realization that I am simply just a "fender guy'. I find myself with a g400 I bought about 5 years ago that I never play anymore. I hate to see it sit there but I know I can't make any money off selling it. So I've decided the best thing I could do with this would be to somehow make it into a 12 string. I know this project would be a huge deal but I'd like to have some other people point things out; complications, problems I'm bound to run into.. If I CAN pull this off, I would probably switch out the stock humbuckers for some lower output p-90s, or if I really feel like making things interesting, Jazzmaster pups to make this thing sound and look really unique. I'd love to hear some thoughts/opinions on this, thanks

For the reasons mentioned as well as the fact that the neck will be too narrow, especially at the nut, to allow proper string spacing. Sell your G400, use that money plus the dough that you would have spent on the conversion and buy a proper 12 string.

You might not be able to make your money back on a G400, but you will make some money back. Once you buy all the parts for a 12 string conversion and subsequently ruin the guitar (hypothetically, of course), you will have spent more money and still get the same amount out of reselling the parts as you would have if you just sold the guitar as it is tight now.

I'd agree with a lot of the other comments above:

Neck dive is going to be an even more serious issue, even if you can fit the additional tuners on the heaadstorck.

The neck is probably not going to be wide enough to enable proper string spacing

You'll definitely need a new nut

I'm guessing the truss rod is not designed to take the stress of the additional six strings

My thoughts:

Sell it. Save the $ you'd have spent trying to convert it, and between the two amounts, go buy yourself something new.

Good on ya for thinking outside of the box though!

Archived