Gibson Brands Forums

Bought a J45 1942 reissue

fp

I won't be getting it until next week. I've been looking for something from Gibson Montana that wasn't a standard model.

I may be wrong but I believe John Thomas loaned Gibson an original 42 J45 to use as a model for this. I know he did this with a Southern Jumbo as well. At least with the J45 they got the 19 fret fingerboard right. I think this is going to be similar to the TV model but with a beefier neck and a rectangle bridge.

This is a run that I think 50 of were made ? Not to be confused with the J45 Legend variety !

I'll post a report after it arrives.

You are alot braver than I buying one of these sight unseen.

If I recall Gibson came out with four reissuses - a mahogany top LG-1, and SJ both of which were copied from JTs originals and two J-45s (one with a maple body) which were not JTs. The 50 run number sounds right. Surprisingly, if I recall, the street price on the at least the mahogany body J45 was considerably less than the Legend which I remain convinced is based on a '43 not a '42).

I would love to know though what JT thinks of these - how close Gibson came to capturing the sound and feel of the originals. There was a little discussion at UMGF about the LG-1 and apparently Gibson either would not or could not replicate the type of finish the original had. Then again, these have got to be the rarest Gibsons out there and chances of finding one at any price is pretty slim.

Just my own humble opinion, from my own limited experience, the tonal difference between an original and a copy, would be "like comparing a telephone between 2 tin cans and a string".

I've played and heard some new guitars that sound pretty good and vice versa.

I've played and heard some vintage guitars that sounded not so good and vice versa.

Personally I've liked my newer Martins and Gibsons more then I liked some of the vintage ones that I've had.

We'll see when it gets here.

You are alot braver than I buying one of these sight unseen.

If I recall Gibson came out with four reissuses - a mahogany top LG-1, and SJ both of which were copied from JTs originals and two J-45s (one with a maple body) which were not JTs. The 50 run number sounds right. Surprisingly, if I recall, the street price on the at least the mahogany body J45 was considerably less than the Legend which I remain convinced is based on a '43 not a '42).

I would love to know though what JT thinks of these - how close Gibson came to capturing the sound and feel of the originals. There was a little discussion at UMGF about the LG-1 and apparently Gibson either would not or could not replicate the type of finish the original had. Then again, these have got to be the rarest Gibsons out there and chances of finding one at any price is pretty slim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every Montana Gibson I've bought so far I've been real happy with. All bought sight unseen !

I'm not expecting this to sound like a 72 year old instrument, as long as it's a good sounding guitar I'll be happy.

Oh and it's new old stock and cost me what you'd expect to pay for a J45 TV used from a private party.

After years of mixed results buying sight unseen (your imagination can run wild with unrealistic expectations), I'm more and more convinced that you need to play the model you want. This doesn't mean I take my advice. Sometimes scarcity forces us to order before seeing. But, damn, I just played a Hummingbird a thousand times better than the one I used to own. And it's all in the feel of the neck and the set-up. I played several other Gibsons in the store and certain ones were very good at first strum and yet there were a few that immediately said to me, NO. The feel or the sound was off. Someone else will love this guitars, someone whose hands fit the guitar better and whose tonal requirement are different.

But we all get lucky, too. I agree with the OP that many modern Gibsons modeled after the old ones bring us the best of both worlds. Many vintage guitars are just old or too much of an investment for many people. Whereas a new one can open slowly and save you $$$ on the pocketbook.

Best of luck!

After years of mixed results buying sight unseen (your imagination can run wild with unrealistic expectations), I'm more and more convinced that you need to play the model you want.

A friend of mine who worked in music stores for decades always swore that a good number folks heard what they wanted to hear or expected to hear. I figure there has to be some truth in that as it is the only way to explain the fact that nobody who buys a 1970s Gibson seems to get one that sounds like the music is trapped inside of it.

My thing is it always seems to be the third one of any model that I try out which ends up being the one that I would take home. Not saying the other two sucked or anything but it always seems that one of the bunch just has something about it that makes it jump out of the crowd.

A friend of mine who worked in music stores for decades always swore that a good number folks heard what they wanted to hear or expected to hear. I figure there has to be some truth in that as it is the only way to explain the fact that nobody who buys a 1970s Gibson seems to get one that sounds like the music is trapped inside of it.

My thing is it always seems to be the third one of any model that I try out which ends up being the one that I would take home. Not saying the other two sucked or anything but it always seems that one of the bunch just has something about it that makes it jump out of the crowd.

Zomby…maybe it took that long for those ol' ears to warm up???

Archived