Gibson Brands Forums

Thunder Bridge Pics

Flight959

Thunder,

Here's the pictures you requested.

I have included a picture of the control cavity..

chess002-1.jpg

Pickup is just visable through the bridge.

chess004.jpg

The switch. The original switch shown on the Custom website had a white tip...Looked s*it

chess005-1.jpg

The wire for the pickup originally ran forward on top of the body and went into a small cut on the back of the bridge pickup ring... (Visable on website) Again they changed this..

chess007-1.jpg

The pickup cavity

chess055.jpg

Regards..

Email me if you want more... I can get better pics when I re string it... (Not for a while)

Flight959

Thanks flight! Just what I had in mind, it will be very helpful.

I will buy the LR baggs bridge today, and the preamp should be comming in in a month (I will have to order it today as they told me yesterday they are out of it).

The LR baggs comes with 6 little wires (I see yours which I think is a fishman) comes with one. But it should be easy to fit them into one hole (I think).

The preamp isnt attached to anything? (looks like it isnt) I've seen pics of it and it seems the switch is connected with a wire to the preamp. I hope mine comes the same way.

Thanks a lot man, really useful pics.

Might be boring to you but looks pretty cool... I might want to put one on my project LP... I'm curious about the pros and cons to do that set up...

I have played some guitars with piezo bridges and the tonal posibilities are nice... (if you can blend it with the magnetic pickups' date=' which is what the preamp is for). I have it on a parker fly deluxe that I am selling (it is sold already, the guy picks it up this saturday) and the sound is amazing. You can plug it to 2 different amps or just blend the signals or select one or the other... nice tool, the acoustic sound is good, better than with acoustic simulators... and played through an acoustic fx pedal/preamp like the one boss makes, it sounds even better. I've used it with this one (that is for sale too).

[img']http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/4/4/367944.jpg[/img]

The hole that was drilled for the bridge wires' date=' it is at a angle to come out at the pickup cavity or is it at a angle for the tone / vol cavity? Does the bridge/pre amp set up require power other than whats provided for normal passive pickups? Exactly how hard to do the install, estimate pricing for bridge / pre amp. I have a buddy down stairs and he is quite handy with wood and is a master carpenter and this actually looks like something I might be able to do with my current LP. Thanks for these pictures, this might chill my wanting to buy another guitar for a while if the LP could do both electric and acoustic tones. Are you happy with the acoustic sounds? I have never owned a guitar with this ability other than the Variax. Is there a kit that has the bridge, preamp, wires and toggle for a entire set up.

Thanks[/quote']

Guitarest..

The Pre amp has a little 9v square battery which is just off the picture. I dont know how hard it would be to install as it comes fitted to the guitar. I wouldnt imagine it to be easy.

Thunder..

It is a Fishman and the Pre amp is mounted on top of the pot... I will have a look at it tomoro and pull some of the wires out the way and send you a couple more pics.

Tim...

I love you too! eusa_drool.gif

Flight959

There's two kits you can buy (Im sure there are more out there but these are the most known) LR baggs piezo bridge + preamp, or FISHMAN piezo bridge + preamp.

You can use them without the preamp but the preamp bosts the signal a little and also lets you turn on and off the piezo bridge, while without the preamp you just can turn the vol up and down.

So this was a factory install? OK I though this was something you did' date=' but it doesn't look too difficult with the wiring just need someone who can do the wood working... I am going to see if there is a kit, I like that bridge[/quote']

Guitarest and Thunder

This is the Bridge... Good info too on whats required

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fishman-PowerBridge-Tune-o-Matic-Piezo-Bridge-Chrome_W0QQitemZ140291027064QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item140291027064&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Complete with the acoustic pickup..

Flight959

Hey flight' date=' can you plug a normal cable to the guitar and play through just one amp and use both systems or do you have to play with 2 amps?[/quote']

Thunder,

The guitar plugs in as normal like any other Les Paul. The three way switch does the Piezo on its own, With the SD's or Piezo off... Its just the same as having a third PUP where you can have it on its own or blend it.. You need the pre amp chip to be able to mix the pups...

Flight959

Archived