Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul string gauges, brands" preference and why?

batmanrb89

Guest Farnsbarns

Obviously Honson is a typo supposed to read Gibson*

Welcome to the forum! Don't want to hijack but just wanted to point out the edit button beneath each if your posts. Assuming you've missed it given the way you covered your typo [thumbup] .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum! Don't want to hijack but just wanted to point out the edit button beneath each if your posts. Assuming you've missed it given the way you covered your typo [thumbup] .

Haha cool, thanx 😜

Those are rather interesting observations, cap.

My preference for strings with what you describe as having a lack in the midrange can perhaps also go a little way to explain why I'm not a great fan of T-Tops.

AFAIK - and from what I've read - the T-Tops have a pronounced ability to promote the mids - especially with high-gain amps. Is that correct, do you know?

P.

To my knowledge, the bobbins saying "T" feature T spaced holes for the pole pieces but have same outer dimensions, and therefore less space for the wire. So on principal they call for lighter wire gauge, and the DC resistance must be higher, even at the same given number of winding turns. Apart from DC resistance which mainly causes losses, the inductance depends on the square of the number of winding turns in case everything else is the same, like magnet(s), pole pieces, ground plate etc.

The result is a less pronounced but wider resonance which usually should boost the upper midrange with all the controls on the guitar cranked up and a typical cable capacitance. In case the latter is higher, the resonance will drop in both frequency and peak level. The peak attenuation is promoted by the constant losses due to the higher DC resistance - it acts as a series resistance - at decreasing AC impedance. Some people like "true bypass" FX pedals since the twin cables will load down the pickups further which obviously is to their taste. I don't like these muddy, mushy sounds.

As for strings, my taste is just the opposite. The thing I love most about the brand I use is how they SHOUT at me. I also like defined, pronounced pickup resonances. Both makes picking easier, I don't have to torture strings for blowing out distinct notes, it gives increased signal to noise ratio, and attenuating anything present is easy compared to boosting anything missing. Tweaking down the resonance using tone controls isn't a problem, too, e. g. for vocal passages of songs, just the results of a 50's circuit are bad with the volume controls set to every position except fully open. Sadly I have to live with it on Gibsons with two or more volume controls but just one tone control [sad]

Finally, I don't think they use bobbins saying "T" anymore, but all the T and F spaced pickups aka "trembuckers" have them. I guess they apply the same makes of "R" and "T" bobbins for open-coil and covered humbuckers as well, and actually use "nicer" looking ones for both. ;)

Anybody shout out EB Power Slinkys yet? Those on my '80 SG with a beefy as hell neck are a killer combo. Mostly though, I just dig on the regular slinkys for everything else. I tried 11's and 12's on my teles and strats but the heavier gauges on those guitars seem to choke out the pickups, especially on my strats. SRV and Mr. Dale I am not.

What do you think about this: according to Tech Tips on gibson.com, Les Pauls come with .009 strings from the factory.

http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Tech-Tips/Basic-Guitar-Setup.aspx

However, many dealers and experts say they come with .010's. When I bought mine new, the dealer was 100% sure it had .010's on, but when I changed strings, I had to adjust truss rod and intonation so much that I suspect that it actually had .009's.What is your experience?

//Robert

What do you think about this: according to Tech Tips on gibson.com, Les Pauls come with .009 strings from the factory.

http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Tech-Tips/Basic-Guitar-Setup.aspx

However, many dealers and experts say they come with .010's. When I bought mine new, the dealer was 100% sure it had .010's on, but when I changed strings, I had to adjust truss rod and intonation so much that I suspect that it actually had .009's.What is your experience?

//Robert

The 2014 models ship with Cleartone 9-46 gauge strings. My 14 Traditional came with these. I changed to 10-46 Ernie Ball Cobalts. Didn't need to adjust truss rod but did have to set the intonation.

• 2 months later...

Just switched to GHS Boomer 10-46. Wow.

I tested Boomers once on my Epiphone LP Tribute 1960 and found the feel and playability great, but not the sound ... much too bright for a LP.

I switched to Gibson Brite Wires some day and never looked back ... similar great feel, long life and exactly the sound I expect from a LP. I play them on the Epi and my Signature T. It might be worth mentioning, that both LPs have 57 Classis pickups.

On my Gretsch Falcon hollow body I found Gibson Vintage Reissue to be ideal, because that guitar is very bright already due to woods and pickups.

I tested Boomers once on my Epiphone LP Tribute 1960 and found the feel and playability great, but not the sound ... much too bright for a LP.

I switched to Gibson Brite Wires some day and never looked back ... similar great feel, long life and exactly the sound I expect from a LP. I play them on the Epi and my Signature T. It might be worth mentioning, that both LPs have 57 Classis pickups.

On my Gretsch Falcon hollow body I found Gibson Vintage Reissue to be ideal, because that guitar is very bright already due to woods and pickups.

Meets my experiences. GHS Boomers are not specifically brilliant but seem to lack upper midrange, resulting in a scooped sound with emphasized attack bite when pushed hard. A bandmate played them for years on his Strat, making his Marshall amp blowing out those crazy egg-slicer tones.

Archived