Gibson Brands Forums

NBD: EB 2014

MrNylon

"Ashley" plays and sounds better than the EB 2014 I played in a local store. An amazing overall sound. Lows, Mids, and Highs sound fantastic. The neck is very comfortable, and fast. Good job to Gibson. I don't miss the Fender Jazz bass that the EB 2014 replaces.

52075.jpg

Wow congrats, looks fantastic!

Could you describe the sound of nylons versus others? Is it like nylon versus regular steel strings on a 6 stringer? What will you use it for in this configuration?

Cool stuff, I'm always trying to learn.

The TC Electronic RH450 head / BC410 cab setup, brings the EB's sounds out great. The right amp with the Gibson EB Series Basses, makes a big difference in their sound. Somewhat the same as amps for a Rickenbacker 4003 Bass. Many players complain the 4003 bass sound is off. Pair it up with the right amp, and it has some of the best bass sounds going. Strings help too. [thumbup]

52075TCE.jpg

Ashley LOL [lol]

That's really ice though [thumbup] If I were to get another bass I would seriously consider an EB...

How does it balance? Any neck dive?

Hey Rabs; balance is better than my SG Std. Bass. A very slight tilt on the neck side, but it didn't dive on me. It felt very similar to a Fender Jazz, except lighter by about a pound and a half. "Ashley" is 8 pounds, and very comfortable to play. QUALITY CONTROL, is very consistent on this EB. It felt very good tuning the Nylons onboard. The tuners are very precise. A big plus to Gibson for the Swamp Ash body. The frets are a bit higher on the tips on a Gibson, than I'm used to on a Fender American Standard Jazz neck. That's OK though, as I'm adjusting to it's fret style. I don't regret the EB over the Jazz.

Ci5pNqA.jpg

Yeah I once had an EB3 Epiphone bass.. I loved the neck and the sound (it probably played better than the Gibson I tried) and it was a nice SOLID bit of mahogany but the neck dive was so bad I had to sell it in the end...

Wow congrats, looks fantastic!

Could you describe the sound of nylons versus others? Is it like nylon versus regular steel strings on a 6 stringer? What will you use it for in this configuration?

Cool stuff, I'm always trying to learn.

Howdy Tman; The ETB92 Nylons have a bass flat string sound. I like them because I get a flats string sound, out of a round string, and they are very smooth, and fast for sliding in the fretboard. Finger noise with ETB92 Nylons are almost negligible also. They put out a good bottom thump, like a real bass should. They play well with Gibson pups too.

I honestly couldn't compare Bass vs. Guitar, Nylon vs. steel on 6 stringers. I've been a Bassaholic since 1968.

Being a retied Roadie, I play at home, with an occasional Nashville studio spot, when an old friend graciously asks me to.

Gibson EB's are turning out to be a good bass. [thumbup]

Hsa1bxG.jpg

Howdy Tman; The ETB92 Nylons have a bass flat string sound. I like them because I get a flats string sound, out of a round string, and they are very smooth, and fast for sliding in the fretboard. Finger noise with ETB92 Nylons are almost negligible also. They put out a good bottom thump, like a real bass should. They play well with Gibson pups too.

I honestly couldn't compare Bass vs. Guitar, Nylon vs. steel on 6 stringers. I've been a Bassaholic since 1968.

Being a retied Roadie, I play at home, with an occasional Nashville studio spot, when an old friend graciously asks me to.

Gibson EB's are turning out to be a good bass. [thumbup]

Fantastic and great explanation too, thanks! Here's to many more invitations to do a Nashville sit in with this beauty!

I like the thump sound as you put it. I have always imagined that Paul's Hofner had flat wounds on it early on and that would be the sound that I am imagining. If I wasn't lazy, I'm sure I could find it in a google search. [crying]

Yeah I once had an EB3 Epiphone bass.. I loved the neck and the sound (it probably played better than the Gibson I tried) and it was a nice SOLID bit of mahogany but the neck dive was so bad I had to sell it in the end...

Been there too. It's a shame to have to sell an Axe off.

Congratulations!

That's a beautiful bass guitar!

I am thinking of adding a bass to my collection, and - so far - that is the only model I can think of. (Or maybe an SG Bass)

Ash is the best color of the line. [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

Thanks guys. I was more than critical about the EB series when they first came out. Some of the earlier ones didn't look that great on the finish. Also there were some that weren't finished to well in the upper horns areas to the base sides of the neck. The recent EB's however look very good. I wouldn't have ordered this one if I didn't like the Quality Control on the series, or the sounds from some I've had my hands on.

My SG Std. is right up there for being an extremely well finished bass also. It's nice to use the Sweetwater Music Guitar Gallery to at least see the particular Axe, or Axes you may be interested in ordering. It's still not the same as hands on, in a store, but you get a fresh Axe that hasn't been pre-dinged by whoever mistreats the floor models. [thumbup] It's nice to play Gibson Basses again.

That's a really nice looking board and body. Really nice finish!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks, they did it right. I'd be one of the first to jump up, and down about a Quality Control issue on a Gibson Bass. But I would like to say to Gibson, the folks who created my SG Std., and EB 2014 Basses, did a great job on them. Bravo, well done. [thumbup]

Archived