Gibson Brands Forums

Found a New Sound

Kyler Patrick

Ever since I started seriously playing the guitar and becoming more committed to the instrument, I realized a couple important things. First, the music business is fickle. It's dangerous to grow attached to one sound because that one sound will become boring to most of the crowd. To committed fans, maybe not. But definitely just the people who are just looking for good music all the time. Second, in todays generation, people just aren't interested in rock like they used to be. Don't get me wrong, I am aware that there are some hard core rock lovers, including me, but the majority of the audience just don't want to hear it. They want unique. They want different. They always have. Take Ed Sheeran for example. He does all different kinds of music and mixes all different kinds of music and has hits all the time. I think...I've found a "stand out" enough sound for todays generation. It's a mix of Reggae, Rock, and Jazz. A little like Ska, but much heavier. Most of the songs would have a Reggae backbone, but it would sound more intense on rhythm for the rock part. With a lighter tone, there'll be more of a Jazz fill on guitar. Drumming would be a solid mix of all three. The hi-hat and rim shot of Reggae would be there, but also the bass and toms of Rock. Our drummer does this awesome thing where he incorporates the cymbals used in Jazz as well, I just don't know how to explain it. The bass would be kept to more or an 80% Reggae sound, 10% Rock, 10% Jazz. We have yet to find a keyboardist, but when we do, we'll find a way to work it in. Our vocalist fits the style very well. It's hard to describe, but to put it the best way possible, it's like grunge meets indie. And...i don't know...it just fits. When the seasons change and our audience isn't craving the Reggae sound, we can get back onto Rock/Jazz and bring Reggae back when the weather starts heating up again. I live right by Virginia Beach which would be the "hot spot" for our band, if there were to be one, so if we got a decent set together in the next month and a half or so, what do you think our chances are of getting some decent gigs?

(As soon as I get a recording of us playing, it'll go right to this forum.)

Sounds interesting. But there is really no way to comment on what we think without hearing what you speak of.

I look forward to hearing you post a sample of your "new sound". [thumbup]

Sounds interesting. But there is really no way to comment on what we think without hearing what you speak of.

I look forward to hearing you post a sample of your "new sound". [thumbup]

Good point. Just wanted to give a description of whats to come. A sample should be up in a couple of weeks!

Archived