Gibson Brands Forums

Jimi Hendrix Like A Rolling Stone, Stone Free, Live Chelmsford

Rabs

Have you ever seen "Monterey Pop Festival" from the late 60's? W/Otis Redding,,,Jimi,,and a bunch of other iconic rock performers? He does a great version as well at that concert ,,I think thats the show where he lit his strat on fire w/lighter fluid onstage,,I think,,if memory serves me. BTW,,the audio on that vid is,,well,,,uummm,,,challenging My link

Have you ever seen "Monterey Pop Festival" from the late 60's? W/Otis Redding,,,Jimi,,and a bunch of other iconic rock performers? He does a great version as well at that concert ,,I think thats the show where he lit his strat on fire w/lighter fluid onstage,,I think,,if memory serves me. BTW,,the audio on that vid is,,well,,,uummm,,,challenging

Of course :) Love that gig..... I think that's the version on the Concerts album..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLGctGhAWU4

ok,,yea,,wasnt sure if you heard that one,,either way,,his performance,,intent,,delivery would always make up for a 'less than perfect audio,,My fav is the "Hendrix in the West" Album{Johnny B Goode }

ya know when you watch him play,,he inserts/adds all these fills,,flicks,,phrases all while not even looking at the neck of his axe! Amazing yea,,wasnt sure if it would post up that way,,thanks

ya know when you watch him play,,he inserts/adds all these fills,,flicks,,phrases all while not even looking at the neck of his axe! Amazing yea,,wasnt sure if it would post up that way,,thanks

I know... that's one of the things that makes him so great.. Being able to play lead and rhythm at the same time ;)

yea,,I wonder what he would think of the music scene today if he was still with us? He was so humble as a person,,miss him for sure.

Did you ever hear this... its very interestimg and was recorded not long before he died.. He talks about what he was getting into and what direction he was about to take...

Thanks for posting this,,never heard it. I guess the takeaway from all this would be is: The 60's was a dynamic musical period for sure,,I just wish so many of the iconic artists hadnt got so into the drug scene,,it always ended up not good,,too bad really. I guess we can all learn from it,,thats all.

I enjoyed that.. Don't remember seeing it before... cool stuff [thumbup]

I've definitely never seen that before, Rabs. Thanks for posting.

The editing was mighty weird, though! I wonder if the editor was taking some of those funny little Smarties which were popular at the time?

Interesting to see some of his fingering positions. It's years since I played LaRS but I don't think that how I used to play it.

Now, Now! No need for sarcasm.

Going off at a tangent (Oh No! Not AGAIN?!)...

The shop which is featured for the first 2 mins or so also popped up on one of the other 'suggestions' at the right-side of the screen (I watched on youtube).

I hadn't heard of that place before; "I Was Lord Kitchener's Valet". I googled it. Short but interesting tid-bit.

Before the shops in London had closed (1977) there were a few places in Edinburgh where you could buy the same type of jackets.

I bought a (much plainer) scarlet one in around '76 and wore it pretty much daily. It was also what I normally wore when I played the 'more classy' (Ha!) joints back in the early '80s.

Yes; me-the-unashamedly-Hendrix-rip-off-merchant-that-I-was......[blush]

I've got a snap of me wearing it somewhere...

I ended up giving it to the sister of a girlfriend. Can't think why; It still fitted me....lol!

Seems so very long ago now. Ah! Youth.

P.

I've definitely never seen that before, Rabs. Thanks for posting.

The editing was mighty weird, though! I wonder if the editor was taking some of those funny little Smarties which were popular at the time?

Interesting to see some of his fingering positions. It's years since I played LaRS but I don't think that how I used to play it.

Now, Now! No need for sarcasm.

P.

No worries sir.. its always a pleasure to share stuff like this with people I know who will appreciate it [thumbup]

As for the editing... I can only imagine that either the sound or picture got really bad so they decided to cut it OR possibly more likely, back in the day when you edited movies it would literally mean cutting and sticking the tape together.. which id imagine sometimes went quite wrong for those not experienced :)

Or they were just off their head as you say ;)

Archived