Gibson Brands Forums

Kids playing guitars

Aster1

As someone in the other thread quoted Yogi Berra as having said; "It's like Deja Vu all over again..."

I honestly hope it turns out better this time around, Aster.

Last time that clip was posted folks went off a heated political/ideological tangent and the thread was locked down tighter than a very tight thing rather rapidly.

Hopefully the Forum membership can act more like 'Grown-ups' these days. We shall see.

The spectacle itself might seem a bit odd but is it really so fundamentally different from 'Talent Shows' anywhere else on the planet?.........:-k

P.

I guess Deja Vu just gets recycled over & over again. [biggrin]

Maybe I've started to reach cerebral saturation and my DVR brain is in OVERWRITE mode now. You know, where it scratches old audio/video when new comes along and the drive is already full. [rolleyes]

As you all know by now, I'm not a P.C. type of guy, but the "funny" I meant was referenced to the scale of their little bodies to the standard guitar (that looks HUGE). The choreography with the head/torso turns is kind of "ha ha" funny to me. But I laugh at a lot to keep the stress from blowing my head off my neck.

Aster

Nope im sorry.. I find that ultra creepy (and yes I posted it once before).....

It just looks so unnatural and staged I don't think they are having fun in any way shape or form. It just looks VERY wrong to me....

THIS is what kids having fun sounds and looks like ;)

... I don't think they are having fun in any way shape or form. It just looks VERY wrong to me....

It's not supposed to be fun! Classical musical training is about discipline and rigor. They have been very well trained. Later they will rebel and start punk rock groups. [biggrin]

It's not supposed to be fun! Classical musical training is about discipline and rigor. They have been very well trained. Later they will rebel and start punk rock groups. [biggrin]

Its not their skill I have the issue with... its the big fake grins they all have on their faces all the way through and the synchronised movements... That's the weird part... But of course could be some cultural thing im not aware of?

Its not their skill I have the issue with... its the big fake grins they all have on their faces all the way through and the synchronised movements... That's the weird part...

Part of the training. Ever seen pageant kids? Show dogs? Similar concept.

Part of the training. Ever seen pageant kids? Show dogs? Similar concept.

Yes... I also find that VERY off putting and when they dress those young kids up and enter them in pageants, well that's just a bit disturbing (well to me anyway).

In some countries they still have a couple of phrases that are motivators. Negative one mind you, but motivators none the less.

Two come to my mind right away:

"Off with their heads!"

"Throw them & their relatives into the dungeon"

Don't know if that's N or S Korea. Presume South so they may just get a Caning maybe.

Aster

Wow they're fantastic. Maybe what's creepy is that they are very disciplined and they come from a country led by a maniac full of brain washing so they look robotic? Reminds me of WWII.

My wife's Korean and her mother left North Korea after the war in the early 50's. I showed it to my wife. She said, "Wow they are really good for their age. Too bad they live where they live and don't know people like us are watching them (she meant and admiring)."

i think they are adorable, and the idea that it is creepy just baffles me. these are CHILDREN. and like all kids, they mostly just want to please. so they are doing their best, in the hopes that their audience will show their appreciation of all their effort. just cause someone on youtube says they're n. korean doesn't mean they are. and evenif they are, so what? they're human children,not aliens from mars. wether by pleasure, or rote, they still play better than 90% of ANYONE else on youtube. crediting the assumed arduous regimen for their obvious skill at once both acknowledges it, while devaluing the efforts of those kids. i think some of you folks should take a closer look at where your perceptions come from.

as an afterthought, i would like to offer n example of someone who has been trained the way you guys claim you dont like. except everyone seems to like this kid anyway

http://youtu.be/AgGUfNopS2M

Archived