Gibson Brands Forums

Kind of put things in perspective

brc

I know some of the members here have had some health issues.

I myself have had four back surgeries, four level spinal fusion, cancer survivor, lost 1/2 of a lung, stroke, and this year a heart attack.

Due to all this I am on a lot of pain meds 24 hrs a day,and after a while I guess I started getting depressed and feeling sorry for myself.

But yesterday a good friend of mine who is actually about 5 years younger than I am, was informed that he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and has at the out side 9 months to live.

He was set to retire this Aug, and he and he wife just bought a beautiful vacation house at the lake.

He really did not have any symtoms other than not feeling 100 percent the last month or two, so he was really blindsided by the news.

Really a great guy, down to earth, and would go out of his way to help a stranger.

Now I really feel like I was having it easy.

It really put things into perspective

Very much so. Man, pancreatic cancer killed my Dad a month after diagnosis in 1988. Treatment is much better now. Hopefully your friend will get some good news.

And here's to you not having any more health issues. Sending good guitar and health related thoughts your way.

Phil Tman

Im sorry for the bad news, and I hope you continue to hang in there. Pancreatic cancer took my brother inlaw 2 yrs ago. 47 yrs old... he hung in there for a year. i was laid off at the time so i was able to be with him almost everyday. Life has a way of putting things into perspective from time to time.

dang brc......I wish both you and your friend the best.

my best friends' little brother (also like a lil bro to me) recently underwent 10 hrs of surgery to try to rid his body of various lymphatic cancers......he already had no voice box, an artificial wind-pipe, no esophagus, fed by a P.E.G. tube directly to his stomach....this was IIRC his 4th operation and he's determined to see his Grand Daughters 1st birthday this fall.

he's 46.

i do not agree. when you get hungry, i cannot feel it. when your leg is broken, i can still walk. just because someone else seems to have it tougher does not make our own burdens any easier. all we can do is the best we can until we die. i have my own issues, they're pretty serious, though i know some who are worse off than me. that doesn't change my own struggle. you can recognize someone else having it worse than you without devaluating your personal achievements at maintaining an acceptable quality of lifewhile dealing with adversity. just my opinion. ymmv

I hear stories like this all the time, and it does remind you how fragile life is, and how fast bad news can change things. like a blink of an eye.

Thanks for sharing, It reminded ME to count my blessings.

Sorry for your friend. This kind of news really comes as a gut punch, not just to him but to anyone who knows him.

I am kinda getting numb and honestly bored with trying to remain philosophical while all these people drop dead and receive bad diagnosis around me.

Thanks every one.

I am still kind of in a shock from the news, as like I was saying, he really did not have any other issues, and basically went to his doctor only because he was not feeling "right" for a couple of months, but did not give it much thought.

He is very well liked through out the neighborhood, and would drop what he was doing if some one needed help with any thing.

He was set to retire this August, and was looking forward to spending time at the new vacation house he purchased about 6 months ago.

Just a great guy, and so down to earth.

I dont know too much about this type of cancer other than it is very difficult to treat even if that is a possibilty.

BRC

I guess all I can say is that if I croak this afternoon after work - writing and taking photos of rodeo - my little bro kinda nailed it. I figure it's been a good ride regardless. That's regardless getting beaten up more than a few times in various ways...

Stuff happens. I just think that in today's world we're more insulated from a lot of it than folks a century ago.

m

Archived