Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird dimensions

mooserman40

Lately I have been looking at some hummingbird guitars. And although both the Gibson and Epiphone models look similar, the Epiphones look slight "off" to me. In fact, all Epiphones guitar seem to look slightly different from the Gibsons. Am I imagining this? Or are they really different?

GuitarLight, you have both an Epi and a Gibson H'Bird. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for asking fortyearspickn!... (My review of the two birds follows) ....My thoughts would be that the two are very different guitars, both in price and in build and also in tone. The dimensions are slightly different between the two, with the Epi version being build slightly smaller in the top square shoulder area, and possible in body length and width as well. Not sure never measured it, but that perception seems to be there. The Gibson Hummingbird has much more tone, refinement, and beauty, and much higher quality woods. It is more than a guitar, it is a work of art. It has more nectar tone and wood resonance as well.

The Epiphone Hummingbird is a nice looking and playing guitar and well worth the $299 paid for it. But the $3100 Gibson Hummingbird is a premium guitar, while the Epi costs much less but makes a great starter, and a great camping guitar, and overall work guitar. It also is a joy to play in the living room for hours on end! The Epi does have much of the beautiful looks, and also a reasonable touch of that familiar nectar tone found in the high end Gibson, but just not as much, and not as refined or rich in sound as it's Gibson sibling.

There are many differences between these two birds, yet they both reflect the subtleties, the delicacy, of a Hummingbird...one more than the other. I very much enjoy owning both versions of the Hummingbird. I respect each of these very highly, using my Epi bird a lot for practice work and outdoor camping, while the Gibson Hummingbird is saved and used often for premium guitar sound and feel. One can not expect an Epi Hummingbird at $299 to give exactly what a Gibson Hummingbird can give to the player. the necks are very similar, both are short scale, and both of mine have utterly butter perfect action, making both of them a delight to play.

My Epi bird was bought first as a test ( it passed with flying colors using new Elixir nanoweb 80/20 lights and new ebony pins) and I was thrilled with the delicate tone it produced when compared to other guitars in its range. A Hummingbird sounds different than any other guitar in my view, whether it is an Epi or a Gibson. When I was certain this difference was real and not imaginary, I decided to get the Gibson Hummingbird for even more Hummingbird wonder. For tone and for looks, both stand in a class all their own. Only a Hummingbird, sounds like a Hummingbird. It must be a secret formula of Gibson, and they have it right in both models!

If one owns an Epiphone Hummingbird, they will likely one day want a Gibson Hummingbird. For those who have only owned a Gibson Hummingbird, perhaps they might really enjoy an Epi bird. The contrast between the two is a different one, but a very pleasant one. Both guitars really do have that Hummingbird feel and flair to them.I hammer my Epi bird real hard for hours when working on a set. ....Then I pull out the big gun...my exquisite and refined Gibson Hummingbird, and proceed as an artist with an instrument of perfection.

There is something sacred about a Hummingbird. In my search I have owned over 27 high end, premium guitars in my lifetime of every make and model.. I discovered the Hummingbird last unfortunately. How I wish I had tried it FIRST. ...For the Hummingbird to me, has become the Holy Grail of all guitars. There is simply nothing like it out there. Thanks for asking and best wishes! GL

Archived