Gibson Brands Forums

With all these "tech" advances...

charlie brown

Been thinking, about all the "tech" advances, from robotics, to pitch shift,

and correction, to advances in recording techniques, in pickup design, ergonomics

in guitar design, and neck feel, etc., etc., etc.

And yet, some of the best music ever recorded, was with "primitive" (by todays

lofty expectations, and "standards") "gear."

So, IS the overall quality of music, the same, improved, or even less so, than

that done with just the "essentials," back then. Or, is it just "better" recorded

(IF it is), with all the "digital" and other tech advances? Or, do we use all that's

available, to "hide" imperfections, that were once embraced, as being "real," now?

CB

Been thinking, about all the "tech" advances, from robotics, to pitch shift,

and correction, to advances recording techniques, in pickup design, ergonomics

in guitar design, and neck feel, etc., etc., etc.

And yet, some of the best music ever recorded, was with "primitive" (by todays

lofty expectations, and "standards") "gear."

So, IS the overall quality of music, the same, improved, or even less so, than

that done with just the "essentials," back then. Or, is it just "better" recorded

(IF it is), with all the "digital" and other tech advances? Or, do we use all that's

available, to "hide" imperfections, that were once embraced, as being "real," now?

CB

I agree CB that the best music ever recorded was live, analog and pure. I think all the new technology has caused music to devolve rather than grow.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. There is a lot of re-hashing the old ways of doing things. One example I can think of is at the distribution center I work at, it has almost as many LP records in stock as it does CD's. The recording gear has changed but most of the good gear is still based off or still is the same old 50's, 60's and 70's analog pre-amps and consoles etc. Some of them are still very expensive, this is the one area I was thinking would have changed but the old Neve and API gear is holding or gaining value on the market.

Everything is completely in tune and in time now - to the extent that we expect it and take it for granted. Also music is ubiquitous which it really wasn't when we were young.

There's a lot more good and not-so-good music out there. Output is vast and must therefore be uneven CB!

In addition, recording is much cheaper/more accessible than it was before. No longer do you need to go to a studio or get signed to make a record. Get a USB interface for around $200, pick up an SM57 for $100, a stand for $30-$40, and a cable for another $20 or so and you're set to record a whole album for under $400.

This "ease" may result in some lower quality music being created, but for the people who have great ideas, it makes it much easier for those ideas to reach the masses.

-Ryan

Yeah, there are a lot of advantages, now, for sure.

One thing that prompted this (as well as my own curiosity),

was a thing I got in my e-mail, from a well known music

instrument manufacturer, with a video of a "new" artist,

in their recording studio, series...and she sounded OK,

if not spectacular. So, curious as I am (always), I decided

to check out some of her "live" material, on YouTube. Let's

just say, the "Studio" recording (video) HELPED her, a LOT! [tongue]

Granted, "Live" can be tenuous, at best, at times. But,

it is also very unforgiving, if the actual "talent" isn't

quite there, as well, just as often.

So, that was just a part of what prompted this...

Thanks, as always, for your responses, and thoughts/ideas! [thumbup]

CB

I'd suggest at the elite level with artists who really are excellent at what they do with top class engineers and who have the best recording media at their disposal it may just speed up the process (less takes, cutting and splicing etc) but to the human ear the end result would sound good then and now. I'm sure I can recall listening to an early Beatles track where one of them is singing the wrong words - I'm sure that would be laughed off now as 'the carefree days..' or 'spirit of the times..." or whatever, but I bet they were just hoping nobody would notice - some of the albums considered great or 'classic' were recorded in very short timeframes - maybe that is easier with the new tech?

Medium tier performers - the same would apply but even more so, and for the rest of us - what Ryan said. The 70's and 80's equivalent would be recording onto a home tape recorder!

Compared to whether not not you like the music though its almost an irrelevance. I quite like lo-fi....if I like the music to start with.

Live vs studio is unfair comparison - through the joy of youtube I've heard many of my favourites from the old days sound out of tune/breath/time(/heads [biggrin] ) on bootlegs (commercial release is 'fixed' with technology anyway)... and some of the kids these days are expected to perform highly choreographed dance routines at the same time ... at least the have in ear fold-back but I give them a lot of credit.

I guess what concerns me, is that low to medium tier performers, are (too often)

being touted, or portrayed as more than they are, due to the "over processing,"

and "correcting," in the recording studio.

Granted, everyone has "off" days, or gigs. But, promoting something that just

isn't there, is disingenous, at best. And, in so doing, "Dumbs down" real

expectations, in the long run. IMHO, as always. [tongue]

Still, there ARE, and have been, a LOT of great players, singers, and performers,

in ANY era, for sure! [thumbup]

CB

for sure CB. Totally agree - It's all highly subjective.

now... what about all those studio musicians who have quietly 'filled in' for artists of all stature through all those years before pro-tools or whatever came into being? [wink]

I just went to see Rival Sons, simply fantastic, I really recommend you see them.

This year so far I also have seen Black Star Riders, Kadavar, Graveyard, Reignwolf and The Sword and they all sounded fantastic, even better than the record.

What bands artists are you referring to Charlie? Pop? the likes of Justin Bieber?

This is all about perspective, there is good music being made but you just not may like it.

To quote "Rocky 4" (the member here), it has all been done, people are quick to put a label in a band and mentally filed them away even when the band is new.

Then you have association of memories, all bands are somehow "better" when you are between 10 and 25 years old.

P.S. sorry this is just a collection of lose thoughts, just my perspective.

I just went to see Rival Sons, simply fantastic, I really recommend you see them.

This year so far I also have seen Black Star Riders, Kadavar, Graveyard, Reignwolf and The Sword and they all sounded fantastic, even better than the record.

What bands artists are you referring to Charlie? Pop? the likes of Justin Bieber?

This is all about perspective, there is good music being made but you just not may like it.

To quote "Rocky 4" (the member here), it has all been done, people are quick to put a label in a band and mentally filed them away even when the band is new.

Then you have association of memories, all bands are somehow "better" when you are between 10 and 25 years old.

P.S. sorry this is just a collection of lose thoughts, just my perspective.

Ummm, no "bands," or performer, in particular, really. I too, have seen some great (more recent) performers, that exceeded my expectations, all around. So, I KNOW they're out there!

It's just an overall "feeling," that may be totally (my)"age" related, in reality?? I don't know...

But, heck, if people like/love it, who am I to say anything, really?

I guess what I'm "on about," is more what "I" preceive as an over-reliance, on "Technology,"

as opposed to being able to get it, without it. That goes not only for recording, but too many

pedals, as well...IF one uses those. I loved the fact, that in the old days, even if you

had to do a lot of "takes," it was still the "real" musicians, singer's, etc., and not some "tech"

wizardry, you heard. I'm not really the "Luddite" I may sound like, truly. I just seem to always

prefer "Real," gaffs and all, to "sterile" sounding "perfect" recordings.

Yet, most younger players, artists are totally comfortable, with all that technology allows them,

and even embrace it. It's all they've ever known, in a lot of cases. So...???

And, maybe I just like getting member's opinions, on something besides string brands, guages, and which

guitar, or pedal to buy, and why? LOL

It's all good! [biggrin]

CB

Tech is tech, and music is music.

Neither has anything to do with the other.

The medium has changed so what?

I can find lots of great music out there that gets me off just as much now as I did when I was young (30+ years ago).

But anyone who says there is no good music out there today is either not looking hard enough or is just too set in thier ways to accept anything new.

Good music is not on the radio. It never was.

Keep looking.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Most bands I have seen lately sound even better live because unfortunately most records are too damn loud these days and that is a shame but all the performers I saw used the same number of pedals or less than Hendrix or Clapton used in 1967 and definitely less pedals than Gilmour used in the 70s.

Again without specifics examples I really do not know what you are talking about but personal preferences in music are everything and I think you are hung up on that.

I grew up in the 80s and I am a big Thrash Metal fan, it was a new distinct movement that became a genre and these guys could play fast and did it well. I, like you still listen to that music I grew up with.

Frankly WE are part of the problem of why there is a perception that music is not as good these days.

I bet you that if I challenge mostly anybody here to listen to a full record by a new band even in their genre of preference I would have only a few takers.

Tech is tech, and music is music.

Neither has anything to do with the other.

The medium has changed so what?

I can find lots of great music out there that gets me off just as much now as I did when I was young (30+ years ago).

But anyone who says there is no good music out there today is either not looking hard enough or is just too set in thier ways to accept anything new.

Good music is not on the radio. It never was.

Keep looking.

Exactly, I am on the same page as you.

What I find strange too is that people in general will think that you are only into new music because of following new bands.

not to mention that this is a guitar forum after all - and so we are likely to be drawn somewhat to guitar oriented music. Are there good guitar bands out there these days? - absolutely. To quapman's point though they don't get much of a run on the radio compared with hip-hop, boy/girl bands etc - round here anyway...

Well, "radio" too, has been transformed. I grew up with Great Music, on the radio!

And, a well rounded selection, as well. Now, there's NOTHING (out here), but Religious,

or "New" Country, and even those stations aren't powerful enough, to go 100 miles,

or less, before they get "scratchy" and fade in and out. And that's FM. AM..forget it!

So, Sirius, is really the only alternative, unless you live in the Cities.

I agree, that my own preferences, dicate a LOT of what I feel/think, about current

music trends. BUT, not always! I DO find artists that I really like, now and then.

So, it's not ALL being a curmudgeon, or just "nostalgia," for me. [biggrin]

CB

What's on the radio is a different topic.

Whether we like it or not record companies control the trends and the radio to some degree.

I am a hard rock kind of guy and there is only Classic Rock on the radio, no new music.

I too grew up with good radio in the 80's but most friends I hang out with are younger so they grew up with good radio in the 90's and somewhere out there thee is a kid growing up right now with their version of what good radio is.

Archived