Gibson Brands Forums

clapton walks off stage

derek R

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know thats what I thought all that singing is a lot of pushing at his age, well maybe dude just pooped his pants... I wouldn't want to talk about it either and its going to happen to us all someday, so hey...

Especially when you get to be 50+ - LOL!!

I'd really like to know an awful lot more about the specific circ's before apportioning blame.

P.

I think it would be more fun to speculate and see if a rumor runs rampant on the 'net :lol:

after reading cb's post about the facebook post I get there where problems with the sound but it said they got it running again, why not come back out explain what happened launch into cocaine again,get the crowd back on your side go off and come back for your encore.

is it to much to ask for someone like Clapton to run over his set time by ten minutes to appease your fans instead of what looked liked being a diva.

up to that point in the gig I loved what i'd heard,clapton playing old blues and his own songs,i've seen Clapton two times before and I've always enjoyed his gigs,but his reaction last night was as I've said divaish(if that's a word)

cheers derekr

and jimi mac come and visit the land of your ancestors.

Yes, I agree we should wait, for more information. It's really not like EC to

just "quit" like that. At least, in my experiences, with his past various concerts,

over the last 40 years. Although he's been called "God," he's really just human,

with all our frailties, and imperfections. Even if his playing is "Heavenly!" [biggrin]

CB

You need to learn more of the history! That's a very short-sighted version of the events...

I suspect if George got over it, (apparently he understood she wasn't the one for him) I suspect you should too...

I said I thought he had no class because of that event. What's to get over? Certainly nothing for me. I have an opinion whether you agree or not.

Short sightedness depends upon the point of reference. The act itself, which upset George in Eric's own words, lacked class. That's all I said - you took it further in your tirade. How it all ended up with their divorce etc, is irrelevant to my point.

You know thats what I thought all that singing is a lot of pushing at his age, well maybe dude just pooped his pants... I wouldn't want to talk about it either and its going to happen to us all someday, so hey...

OMG - Ha ha hahahahahahahahaha [thumbup]

after reading cb's post about the facebook post I get there where problems with the sound but it said they got it running again, why not come back out explain what happened launch into cocaine again,get the crowd back on your side go off and come back for your encore.

is it to much to ask for someone like Clapton to run over his set time by ten minutes to appease your fans instead of what looked liked being a diva.

up to that point in the gig I loved what i'd heard,clapton playing old blues and his own songs,i've seen Clapton two times before and I've always enjoyed his gigs,but his reaction last night was as I've said divaish(if that's a word)

cheers derekr

and jimi mac come and visit the land of your ancestors.

I've seen a few more stories like this posted here... Things I've never seen from him or even heard about so I suppose he could be a diva and all that... Clearly he's no angel... I do recall something about a live performance of Double Trouble, possibly in Europe that he seemed to be very angry at the audience during his playing or some such thing during the 70's...

I plan on getting there one day Derek...

I forgot to add there is a 11 o'clock cut off at the hydro, this onstage antics started at 10 past 10.

cheers derekr

WTF kind of place has an 11:pm cutoff?.........is it a retirement complex?

granted, I know absolutely nothing about the laws & customs over there, but that seems strange.

I said I thought he had no class because of that event. What's to get over? Certainly nothing for me. I have an opinion whether you agree or not.

Short sightedness depends upon the point of reference. The act itself, which upset George in Eric's own words, lacked class. That's all I said - you took it further in your tirade. How it all ended up with their divorce etc, is irrelevant to my point.

Understood...

I think I was trying to convey more that he's human like we all are with our faults and failures as individuals. Too many folks put these people up to be deitys and it's just not so... We all get a little too enamored with our heroes and the whole super-star celebutard thing sometimes depending upon our own personal preference...

I was trying to convey more of it's human and after the fact they were all close friends so I don't think it was nearly as big of a thing as it seemed to be in your eyes... (from how your post sounded/seemed)

If it wasn't central to your thoughts on him, you wouldn't have made the statement. I simply reacted to that... Relationship failures are a sad fact of life and very significant statistic, for successful musicians and celebrities especially...

To base ones primary opinion of an individual based upon that, seemed a little short-sighted and potentially closed-minded to me... Granted I suspect it's not the entirety of your opinion... If it were it would be a little intellectually dishonest...

Just responding to how that post came-off. I understand it's easy to misread intent and ideology in typewritten text...

I thought he had no class when I learned he went after George Harrison's wife.

as Jimi said, that's sort of an unfair way to slant the event.

If you have the interest, read the Auto Biography, it's an excellent read and it will explain in quite detail, how that whole situation came to be, among many other things about EC that you wouldn't ever fathom.

Not wanting to condemm him or aggree with him walking off the stage.

But in a way I guess I can understand what might have been an issue. <might>

If you consider how many gigs he plays through out the year, and the rut of going fromm city to city, the constant strain of wanting your sets to be perfect, and demanding perfection from every one around you, if he had equipment issues, it may have just been all it took for him that one night to say "fu-- it" and storm off.

I do aggree that he should have handled it better.

Wonder how many fans had to scrape the funds together just to see his show, and then to be dissapointed with the way he walked off.

But who really knows other than E.C. himself, and some of his group.

I have never seen him live, but still would like to.

WTF kind of place has an 11:pm cutoff?.........is it a retirement complex?

granted, I know absolutely nothing about the laws & customs over there, but that seems strange.

Most big concert halls in the U.K. have this now. Even Ronnie Scott's club - the last set finishes at 11p.m. I used to fall out of there at 3a.m. in the 70s!!!

In many venues the concert stops, everyone goes home then they open the place up again as an until-late disco.

With respect to all - this seems a bit of a storm in a teacup IMO; I think he would not have walked off if it hadn't been pretty bad. While I agree he has a chequered past (Rock Against Racism started because of one of his on-stage comments when he was a drunk) he's not going to do that without a reason. And yes, I have seen him many times though not for many years.

Most big concert halls in the U.K. have this now. Even Ronnie Scott's club - the last set finishes at 11p.m. I used to fall out of there at 3a.m. in the 70s!!!

In many venues the concert stops, everyone goes home then they open the place up again as an until-late disco.

With respect to all - this seems a bit of a storm in a teacup IMO; I think he would not have walked off if it hadn't been pretty bad. While I agree he has a chequered past (Rock Against Racism started because of one of his on-stage comments when he was a drunk) he's not going to do that without a reason. And yes, I have seen him many times though not for many years.

To be honest it wouldn't matter if the curfew was 4am...a 70year old dude isn't going to stand and play for hours on end anyway.

I saw BB King a couple of years ago and remember initially being dissapointed when the lights went up after about 80mins. Then I came to my senses and realised he was 85 (at the time)! I was lucky to see him at all before it's too late.

A select few of Eric's contemporaries can still rock out for longer, mabye Springsteen or Rod Stewart. But most 70year olds I know are slowing down.

As per sound problems being bad- the gig sounded ace to me five rows from the front, dead centre. I assume it must have been his on stage monitoring.

brc- totally agree. I'd go and see him again without hesitation.

Not sure where all this chat about some 1970's love triangle came from. Who gives a ****...that's for old wife's to gossip about.

See TMAN's post..

First, EC is not 70. He just hit 69 a cupla months before I do. Neither of us, as far as I can tell, are sitting in a rocking chair drooling. I just finished three weeks of roughly 80+ hours on the job per week and I don't know any of the "kids" who are willing to try to keep up - which is partly why I did.

The one thing that will happen as we age as performers is that at times some of us will figure that if stuff doesn't go "as it should," there may be a tendency to not want to continue if we perceive it may make us look lesser as technicians and performers. Others in the same age group - whatever it is - may simply keep playing even if the power went off and nobody can hear.

Which response is better? I dunno. I've actually done both. Felt "dumb" with both responses.

m

Whatever the cause, the venue should return a pro-rated cost of the ticket. Whether the "talent" is at fault or the venue is at fault, the ticket holder is the venue's customer.

If you got 75% of a promised show, I think the venue owes the ticket holders at least a 25% refund. If the "talent" was at fault, that is between the venue and the talent.

Archived