Gibson Brands Forums

Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

Guest Farnsbarns

You do realise the last 2 were weight relieved as well? Makes no difference mate, hasn't done since 83 when they started doing it.

You do realise the last 2 were weight relieved as well? Makes no difference mate, hasn't done since 83 when they started doing it.

yes but i believe the other 2 were relieved using the 9 hole method and the newer one may be the more chambered out version no?

Guest Farnsbarns

yes but i believe the other 2 were relieved using the 9 hole method and the newer one may be the more chambered out version no?

No. Modern weight relief has no effect on tone, just like traditional weight relief. Full on chambering does. I've come across a few people who claim they can tell until I challenge them to a blindfold test in which 80% accuracy will win them £10,000 and surprisingly no one's ever taken me up no matter how certain they were before the offer was made.

No. Modern weight relief has no effect on tone, just like traditional weight relief. Full on chambering does. I've come across a few people who claim they can tell until I challenge them to a blindfold test in which 80% accuracy will win them £10,000 and surprisingly no one's ever taken me up no matter how certain they were before the offer was made.

All of my Pauls have 9 hole weight relief, and truthfully until recently I wasn't even aware that my older 95 standard had weight relief, when I found out I was shocked because they all sound to beefy to think that they are reliefed in any way.

I hear what your saying, but looking at the pictures it just seems, if only psychologically that the modern relief would have a more chambered tone to it.

post-65567-075206100 1403437466_thumb.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

All of my Pauls have 9 hole weight relief, and truthfully until recently I wasn't even aware that my older 95 standard had weight relief, when I found out I was shocked because they all sound to beefy to think that they are reliefed in any way.

I hear what your saying, but looking at the pictures it just seems, if only psychologically that the modern relief would have a more chambered tone to it.

Maybe it's me. My eyes just can't hear it.

Well guys, I can tell the difference between nine-hole and MWR; I really can.

I simply do not like the increased resonance (stated by Gibson itself) of MWR - so I reduced it.

...and I'm pretty sure my ex-Custom was solid - it weighed a ton - it was a 1997 model.

The other items serve other purposes to me (i.e. nut, bridge, tuners)... [smile]

----------

Try this if you wish: plug in a MWR LP and get a sound going. Stop playing. Tap all over body and neck with edge of pick.

Repeat this procedure with a nine-hole LP. Please notice how darn loud the MWR tap noise is coming from the amp...

and how the nine-hole is barely audible thru the amp. There are other differences. I wish I had money as I would take the

blindfold challenge any day!!! Actually, I'm always hungry so I would take the challenge for a nice steak...or a New York pizza!

Yeah i am actually in the process of purchasing tonepros bridges and graphtech saddles for all of my les pauls now, still debating swapping the nut with a graphtech as well.

Very cool! I like the Graph Tech bridge because it comes notched and really does increase harmonic overtones.

The Graph Tech nut is also notched -- to perfection. It is impregnated with Teflon, so no more lubing.

...but, once I had a black nut, the cream keystones didn't look right, so I went chrome.

===================>

Nice!!! But take that damn pick guard off... Lol

Guest Farnsbarns

Well guys, I can tell the difference between nine-hole and MWR; I really can.

I simply do not like the increased resonance (stated by Gibson itself) of MWR - so I reduced it.

...and I'm pretty sure my ex-Custom was solid - it weighed a ton - it was a 1997 model.

The other items serve other purposes to me (i.e. nut, bridge, tuners)... [smile]

----------

Try this if you wish: plug in a MWR LP and get a sound going. Stop playing. Tap all over body and neck with edge of pick.

Repeat this procedure with a nine-hole LP. Please notice how darn loud the MWR tap noise is coming from the amp...

and how the nine-hole is barely audible thru the amp. There are other differences. I wish I had money as I would take the

blindfold challenge any day!!! Actually, I'm always hungry so I would take the challenge for a nice steak...or a New York pizza!

Your custom is weight relieved. I thought you could tell?

Well guys, I can tell the difference between nine-hole and MWR; I really can.......and I'm pretty sure my ex-Custom was solid - it weighed a ton - it was a 1997 model...

Your custom is weight relieved. I thought you could tell?

[laugh]

FWIW...

All my LPs sound very slightly different from one another unplugged. They definitely do.

Call me 'Old Cloth Ears' but I couldn't tell you which was which in a blind test.

Two are Swiss-Cheesed and two are solid.

But the solids don't sound identical and the W-R'd don't sound identical - so (IMX) there is no one 'typical' sound associated with either type.

And once the guitars are plugged-in? There is no way in Hell you I could say with surety;

"Hear that? That slight (supply adjective of choice) sound? That's how you can tell a W-R'd from a solid-body one."

Anyhow, as we always say; "Once the drums and bass kick-in..."

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

"As long as I know in advance whether it's weight relived or not, then I can tell in which way it's weight relieved from the sound".

I tell you what, I'm ready to call it on this one....

Cou-bullsh1t-gh

I'm disappointed in your comments, P. --- The difference is between MWR and 9-hole, NOT 9-hole and solid!

I know, Haphazard.

I deliberately didn't get involed in comparing MWR and TWR because I've almost no experience whatsoever in judging the MWR instruments.

As I have effectively no knowledge of these instruments it would be wholly inappropriate for me to make a comment.

Apologies if my wording was somewhat confusing.

My comments were written from a purely personal perspective and, as I said in the post, were concerned with only solid and TWR instruments.

I tried to make it clear that what I wrote was my own observations and I realise, of course, others will have different views.

As you might not be aware this subject has been played to death hereabouts over the years and subsequently a few of us tend to take it all very much tongue-in-cheek.

I'm not going to argue the case with anyone on this subject in a serious manner - it would get nowhere.

The only thing to do is make up your own mind in your own time.

I will do likewise; but before I do I would have to spend an awful lot of time playing some newer instruments and that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Pippy might be cautious, polite and diplomatic and rightly state that he hasn't played many, if any, MWR guitars. I have, loads.

No need to get personal though fella. It's an opinion, further more, it's an opinion on the internet. I think insulting an entire nation off the back of that might be going a little far. Some might mumble something about protesting too much....

How's about a challenge. You seem pretty certain. I'll hand you 30 les pauls, one after the other, you'll be blind fold, if you pick 12 of the MWR out of 15 and 12 of the twr out of 15 you win, if not, I win. What sort of price would you put on that bet? Seems fair, no?

Guest Farnsbarns

1. I removed the 'too much rain' comment. It was not my intent to insult anyone.

2. Protesting too much? Hmmmm, one might take that as a veiled threat, no?

I can't imagine why anyone would take a reference to a Shakespear quote as a threat?

Then again I can't imagine anyone could claim that while they can't tell the difference between a solid les paul and weight relieved one, even not noticing that one of their guitars is weight relieved, but claim that if they are told whether it's weight relieved or not, then, and only then, can they suddenly hear the difference between 2 methods of weight relief and expect people to believe them.

I think your stance came apart when you realised you were wrong about your custom being weight relieved but maintained the stance in the face of it, having to then claim that you can't tell solid vs relieved but can tell traditional vs modern weight relief. Just no credibility after that.

I noticed you ignored the challenge I made to put your money where your mouth is?

Guest Farnsbarns

But if you're so certain you can do it once surely you can repeat it 12 times out of 15? You wouldn't expect me to give you a 50/50 chance would you?

Not having anything to bet with is no reason, you're certain after all, no game of chance so you don't need to have anything to bet. It's free money.

Don't feel you have to leave the forum over it though, just tell yourself I'm an idiot and get on with it. Obviously I've made it clear that I don't think you're mistaken, I think you're full of it but that's only because of the not being able to tell solid from weight relieved thing, I think indicates that you're not being honest but's just my opinion. Some people probably think you're great and would miss you.

Archived