Dark old 'sounds:

photo1_zpsc8b97923.jpg

and...

photo2_zpsefa10045.jpg

Green 'burst, anyone? (Grammer)

photo3_zps8f477cb1.jpg

You could poke yer eye out with that one (Mind your Grammer!):

photo4_zpsf280465f.jpg

More holes for the noise to come out (Penzel, below); and Japanese buyer taking many more away (background):

photo5_zps394eafe2.jpg

To whom it may concern:

photo2_zps4e84730b.jpg

"The Gibson" harp guitar, $8.5K:

HarpGuitar_zpsb308e44a.jpg

Temptation Alley !

"Though I walk through the valley...", I made it through without picking up anything. Good to go just to visit with like-minded folk.

Looks like a good show and time...I wonder what per cent discount that the guitars actually sold for below the ticketed price?.....when they sold, that is.

As far as discounting goes, there are so many variables: what is the guitar du jour? (seems like the Smecks have been all been cosseted away, but the LG-2's are still pretty hot), buyer's horse tradin' skills, as well as seller motivation, which can increase towards the show's last hour (even the notion of loading all those guitars back into the van is a factor). A friend once got a great price on a mando by agreeing to assist with the load-out at the end of show). Summer is normally more lightly attended, and this show was no exception. I usually become over-saturated with guitariana at the two hour mark. During that time, at least one or two transactions are normally witnessed. This time, only one. Most of the activity is dealer to dealer, actually taking place on the evening of the load-in.

Dark old 'sounds:

photo1_zpsc8b97923.jpg

and...

photo2_zpsefa10045.jpg

Green 'burst, anyone? (Grammer)

photo3_zps8f477cb1.jpg

You could poke yer eye out with that one (Mind your Grammer!):

photo4_zpsf280465f.jpg

More holes for the noise to come out (Penzel, below); and Japanese buyer taking many more away (background):

photo5_zps394eafe2.jpg

To whom it may concern:

photo2_zps4e84730b.jpg

"The Gibson" harp guitar, $8.5K:

HarpGuitar_zpsb308e44a.jpg

Some nice Birds but...$6,000.00 ... [confused]

Hey 62Burst - Since you mentioned the LG-2's - I recently picked up a LG-2 American Eagle. I have been searching for the perfect small body guitar for a while now. I usually throw my money at the Martin's but this little guitar just stole my Heart. Love the short scale and nut width - And it is pretty as a Peach - Finally a Gibson without a Pickguard. This little LG really has the sound! Ken

Congrats on the recent LG-2 AE addition, Gasman. They're great little guitars; for a small box, they pack a surprising punch. Comfortable, as well.

Here's one that followed me home from Fall Philly last year:

3qrtrStriatn_zpsfd121849.jpg

1949 LG-2. Speaking of pickguards, after 65 years or so, this p/g's sunken in to the grain of the top:

PGgrain_zpsa63ed11e.jpg

Shows like these are a good opportunity to try a good number of similar models to find something that catches your ear.

Congrats on the recent LG-2 AE addition, Gasman. They're great little guitars; for a small box, they pack a surprising punch. Comfortable, as well.

Here's one that followed me home from Fall Philly last year:

3qrtrStriatn_zpsfd121849.jpg

1949 LG-2. Speaking of pickguards, after 65 years or so, this p/g's sunken in to the grain of the top:

PGgrain_zpsa63ed11e.jpg

Shows like these are a good opportunity to try a good number of similar models to find something that catches your ear.

I find it's near impossible to hear anything at these shows. I wish there were a way to provide some sort of sound proof booth you could access if you were serious about a purchase. Trying to size up a '53 Gibson SJ while some poltroon is wanking away on a tele 10 ft. away isn't any fun.

I find it's near impossible to hear anything at these shows. I wish there were a way to provide some sort of sound proof booth you could access if you were serious about a purchase. Trying to size up a '53 Gibson SJ while some poltroon is wanking away on a tele 10 ft. away isn't any fun.

I totally agree with your Pain...

Indeed. I'd been wondering about the value of a sound booth at these shows for a few years. Do the math: a vendor booth (don't know exact floor dimensions, but big enough for a sound booth) goes for about $425 the weekend. Seller's guitars would present themselves better there, too. Seems the show is maybe 60% electric stuff. Combine that with the din at the peak of attendance, high ceilings, etc., & you have a very tough time comparing guitars. Most vendors are happy to let you find a quiet alcove, but the trick is to go late (edit: look at the thin crowd in the photos. peak can be tight); things do quiet down. Sellers normally are more receptive to negotiation then, as well.

"Though I walk through the valley...", I made it through without picking up anything. Good to go just to visit with like-minded folk.

Most of the activity is dealer to dealer, actually taking place on the evening of the load-in.

Your comment is much like my belief has come to be on these shows... Not a great buying venue for the general public, but more or less a chance for the dealers to socialize, show-off and horse-trade their inventory with one another and then go back home!

The occasional Newb or rube may buy a little this or that. The occasional 'attendee/seller' may unload items at a loss. Its business as usual! In the end, the bulk of the dealing is "in House" to carry back to the shop.

I am not poo-poo-ing it BUT just so one knows what they are dealing with.....its a good couple hours of entertainment and much more fun than a movie [thumbup]

Your comment is much like my belief has come to be on these shows... Not a great buying venue for the general public, but more or less a chance for the dealers to socialize, show-off and horse-trade their inventory with one another and then go back home!

The occasional Newb or rube may buy a little this or that. The occasional 'attendee/seller' may unload items at a loss. Its business as usual! In the end, the bulk of the dealing is "in House" to carry back to the shop.

I am not poo-poo-ing it BUT just so one knows what they are dealing with.....its a good couple hours of entertainment and much more fun than a movie [thumbup]

I agree with Rod. I know, going in, anything I have brought to sell or trade is garbage and everything the dealers have is the Holy Grail. It can be fun, though. Usually, the hot dogs are good and the beer is cold.

RR and JG2 agree!

Let me run outside and check the sky is still there................

At the various guitar shows, wouldn't each vendor need their own soundproof booth? Or there would a line up, impatience and a possible fight or two over everything.

BluesKing777.

Archived