Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-45ME - VSS

mgrasso

Crawling now Cliff - You'll be off to that Acoustic Guitar Forum telling them how awful those Epi fans are and how they shunned you just cos you bought a Recording King :rolleyes:

Just Joshing [biggrin]

I love the Epi forum also!.... and I love Epiphone guitars!..and Gibson for making them! Epi's are just so wonderful to play and such great deals on them too! I prefer them over most other brands. The necks are just fabulous.....as for AGF I don't like it there..too many know it alls over there!

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...they made me change my signature at the time which was, "Whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

Yes, unfortunately every word and phrase you write in there is monitored and must suit THEM, and if it does not, and you do not change what you write or believe in, on guitars, or anything else, you will be banned, either for one month, or permanently. Really, who needs such a place? I don't miss it there AT ALL!

The 'burst on this looks too cloudy. Why oh why couldn't they put a poly finish on it and charge $50 more, or better yet listen to the public.

Yes I agree with you. The AJ45ME is far too cloudy looking....even if they only put gloss on the top it would be better. It doesn't appear that these are selling well at all because of the finish. No reviews to speak of.

A full gloss top and back ...gloss poly finish, would guarentee a sale for me, and likely many others. I want one bad...but not bad enough to have a dull cloudy matte finish on this Masterbilt. Perhaps some one will buy them. I guess Epiphone must not care on this one. Surprising really.

GL,

In my view, you should not necessarily count this guitar out. If you were to buy it, remove the pickguard, pay a competent luthier to properly buff the entire thing it to a shine (my guy was going to charge me 45 bucks) and put a J-45 teardrop pickguard on it you'd end up with a really slammin' Epiphone version of the Gibson J-45TV.

GL,

In my view, you should not necessarily count this guitar out. If you were to buy it, remove the pickguard, pay a competent luthier to properly buff the entire thing it to a shine (my guy was going to charge me 45 bucks) and put a J-45 teardrop pickguard on it you'd end up with a really slammin' Epiphone version of the Gibson J-45TV.

Thanks cliff but unfortunately the only techs we have in my area are guitar center techs...I am not sure I'm comfortable with letting them do that. But if I do fine a competant one, I will consider it.

Well I went over to the local GC on Friday on my lunch to get away from work for a bit, and I was very surprised to find that they had gotten an AJ-45 in. So, of course I picked it up and started running through stuff on it. I looked it over. The finish being matte didn't really bother me. Maybe because my AJ-500 is matte finish as well. Any way I had to leave, and couldn't make it back until today, but fortunately it was still there today, so ended up trading a few of my guitars and ended up with a good deal on it.

The feel is great, neck feels smooth, action is set well. Tuners are great, very smooth and hold well. It has lots of articulation already, and that will only get better. I like the electronics better than my 500, as they are inside the sound hole like the Texans, so it has a much better look. I usually just finger pick, so loud or soft it brings forth a lot of tone, and when I did hit it with the flat pick, it really put out a lot of sound, and the notes were still very clear. It reminds me a lot of a J-45, sounds a little more open and less compressed though. Maybe the difference in the finish.

post-66032-094245700 1433717784_thumb.jpg

post-66032-082228200 1433717803_thumb.jpg

I love the dark fretboard and I think it's cool that there are three single dots high up on the fretboard after the double dots (most only have two). A nice professional buffing job and a pickguard replacement would make this look like a J-45 True Vintage which is certainly not a bad thing.

Well I went over to the local GC on Friday on my lunch to get away from work for a bit, and I was very surprised to find that they had gotten an AJ-45 in. So, of course I picked it up and started running through stuff on it. I looked it over. The finish being matte didn't really bother me. Maybe because my AJ-500 is matte finish as well. Any way I had to leave, and couldn't make it back until today, but fortunately it was still there today, so ended up trading a few of my guitars and ended up with a good deal on it.

The feel is great, neck feels smooth, action is set well. Tuners are great, very smooth and hold well. It has lots of articulation already, and that will only get better. I like the electronics better than my 500, as they are inside the sound hole like the Texans, so it has a much better look. I usually just finger pick, so loud or soft it brings forth a lot of tone, and when I did hit it with the flat pick, it really put out a lot of sound, and the notes were still very clear. It reminds me a lot of a J-45, sounds a little more open and less compressed though. Maybe the difference in the finish.

Nice to see another satisfied customer. Great guitar - had mine a couple of months now and it just seems to get better - I have tried a few different strings - I played the stock strings for a week or two - then changed to Elixir 12s ( I have them on a Texan and they sound great) but they just did not gel with the AJ45. I read somewhere that Rotosound Jumbo Kings are good on J45s - the 12s have a 54 bottom E. I put those on a couple of days ago and wow

Here's my Recording King RAJ-122 (all-solid long scale slope shoulder 12 fret dreadnought...neck joins the body at the 12th fret), back from the shop with the beautiful Terrapin Guitars Advance Jumbo (version 2) Firestripe pickguard. The bevelled edges are very obvious even though they don't really show in these photos. The circle area of the guard had to be cut a bit and rebevelled in order to not cover over the rosette. I also got the fretboard dyed to darken it up to my preference and a perfectly done setup.

Total cost for the labor was $60, which was money well spent as I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Thank you, Mark Brumitt!

18160209944_1470601e75_o.jpg

18595102380_62b29e88a3_o.jpg

18162152193_59bb568c9c_o.jpg

18756527346_97c13c4ef1_o.jpg

18782828815_ca2d263ce2_o.jpg

18595106260_385ffe6149_o.jpg

18596664159_ab65fecf36_o.jpg

Here's my Recording King RAJ-122 (all-solid long scale slope shoulder 12 fret dreadnought...neck joins the body at the 12th fret), back from the shop with the beautiful Terrapin Guitars Advance Jumbo (version 2) Firestripe pickguard. The bevelled edges are very obvious even though they don't really show in these photos. The circle area of the guard had to be cut a bit and rebevelled in order to not cover over the rosette. I also got the fretboard dyed to darken it up to my preference and a perfectly done setup.

Total cost for the labor was $60, which was money well spent as I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Thank you, Mark Brumitt!

18596664159_ab65fecf36_o.jpg

Love that pickguard. I see Terrapin sells those for $44. Is it top shelf quality? I want one for my Masterbilt.

Archived