Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-45ME - VSS

mgrasso

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed about the matte finish on the Masterbilt J-45...the matte finish could drop me from the race...I definately prefer a gloss finish even if it is not laquer. Thin gloss poly, put on correctly, is very attractive and durable, and does not hinder tone when applied properly. Also a matte finish never seems, to my eye, to look right on a Sunburst top. Maybe they will offer both!

Agreed about the matte finish on the Masterbilt J-45...the matte finish could drop me from the race...I definately prefer a gloss finish even if it is not laquer. Thin gloss poly, put on correctly, is very attractive and durable, and does not hinder tone when applied properly. Also a matte finish never seems, to my eye, to look right on a Sunburst top. Maybe they will offer both!

I have to agree, although you do sort of get used to the satin finish. I like my guitars shiney as well, but sometimes you gotta make exceptions. I've never been brave enough to take Maguiar's to my guitar top to give it a semi-glossey look like some have done.

I have to agree, although you do sort of get used to the satin finish. I like my guitars shiney as well, but sometimes you gotta make exceptions. I've never been brave enough to take Maguiar's to my guitar top to give it a semi-glossey look like some have done.

You could always go all out by taking it to a competent luthier to get a finish put on.

It won't be cheap to get done, but you could do it.

Another option would be to get a cherryburst Texan, but then you won't get the vintage burst, short scale, or tuners. You will get a burst, though, and you'll also get killer tone.

The principle reason I would but it would be for the short scale. I don't think I could get that from the Texan. I'll probable end up ordering one once the initial reviews are in...first I gotta fin a good used 12-string

The 1.69 on my Epiphone and Recording King acoustics feels very comfortable to me and I don't remotely have small hands.

Well, you're right -- I do have fun playing the EL-00 Pro and the Performer ME, not to mention the electrics, and the narrower nut doesn't exactly prohibit my playing. I just get more occasional buzz from a finger touching an adjacent string, or I play a different style where the nut width doesn't matter so much. My left hand middle finger is a full 3/4 inch wide up near the tip, before it starts to round off. I don't know if that's typical or not....

I have "guitar player hands" (i.e, long fingers). My reach has always been good and I find it easy to not get hung up on things like string spacing and nut width. Again, that may be due to the fact that from 1986 though 2010 I was solely an electric player.

...first I gotta fin[d] a good used 12-string

I was watching that Martin DM12 on ebay that started way low and ends in 2 hours, but it just went well over my thoughts of semi-lowballing it, and frankly, it looks like it's going to go for well over its value. The best price recent sale of a mint DM12 was $425. This one's already up around $500. They're lam hog back and sides, solid top, so I imagine you're aiming much higher. For me though, I figured it would be an improvement on My FT-160 Texan 12, and apparently was dreaming to think that the bidding could be light and I might be able to pick one up for $300-something. :rolleyes:

I was watching that Martin DM12 on ebay that started way low and ends in 2 hours, but it just went well over my thoughts of semi-lowballing it, and frankly, it looks like it's going to go for well over its value. The best price recent sale of a mint DM12 was $425. This one's already up around $500. They're lam hog back and sides, solid top, so I imagine you're aiming much higher. For me though, I figured it would be an improvement on My FT-160 Texan 12, and apparently was dreaming to think that the bidding could be light and I might be able to pick one up for $300-something. :rolleyes:

Funny about 12 strings...some (many) have not been treated very kindly (especially Epiphones I believe) and there's nothing worse than a 12 string with lousy action and even worse...structural problems. I missed out on 2 auctions so far..Epi dred 12's from the 80's-90's still kicking myself about the one. Just something to fool around with in the music room. You see them on here all the time, some even imploded at the top. belling budges, bridges lifting...ahhhhh. I know some things can be fixed but I'm a patient man and next time I find the right one I will pull the trigger. I just can't decide between Epiphone or Guild. I'm still grieving over that Guild F-412 I sold back in 85'. Bought it at Sam Ash in NYC in 77' for a whopping $400 new.

Archived