Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-45ME - VSS

mgrasso

I was interested until I read it had a matte finish, even if they just glossed the top like on the AJ500 I had. [thumbdn]

I own an AJ500ME in the vintage burst and it came as the matte back then.

Use some compound and buff it out and it looks just like a Gibson.

This guitar I am sure you could do the same.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thanks!...What kind of compound did you use, and what did you use to buff it to a gloss finish? Was it necessary for you remove the pick guard to buff it? thx.

Oh I know, I did the same thing with my Fender Highway One Telecaster. It looks a lot better than the stock flat finish in my opinion, but what lies beneath the matte finish will not look as perfect as say a sprayed gloss top. I was willing to take that chance on my Tele seeing as how I picked it up used, I wouldn't want to do that with a new guitar. And to those willing to go through with it, it takes a lot of patience and a lot of elbow grease... that and a few good lights to make sure you got it right.

Interesting thanks!...What kind of compound did you use, and what did you use to buff it to a gloss finish? Was it necessary for you remove the pick guard to buff it? thx.

I had my guitar tech do it for me when I had the guitar in for it's many problems.

He used a drill with a buffing wheel........did not take off the pickguard.

Looks wise turned out very well.

Well... I placed an order for one through my Gibson dealer - Russo's. I am paying $529 out the door fyi. And they start shipping April 1st from what I am told. This seems like an inexpensive gamble for this guitar. I do have a one in one out rule, so I am thinking I sell my Taylor GS Mini Mahogany at work - and this puppy takes its place there. And the wait begins!

Well... I placed an order for one through my Gibson dealer - Russo's. I am paying $529 out the door fyi. And they start shipping April 1st from what I am told. This seems like an inexpensive gamble for this guitar. I do have a one in one out rule, so I am thinking I sell my Taylor GS Mini Mahogany at work - and this puppy takes its place there. And the wait begins!

I don't like your rule! [biggrin]

i get that rule. i turn it around on her and convince her that for me to make her happy i have to be happy too. win/win [thumbup]

lmao and that works for ya the turning it around thing?

I'm impressed for me I know that she will have to get a gift worth a bit more, example Dove Pro for me diamond ring for her Masterbuilt AJ45ME for me ..........A NEW CAR!!!!!!!!

lmao and that works for ya the turning it around thing?

I'm impressed for me I know that she will have to get a gift worth a bit more, example Dove Pro for me diamond ring for her Masterbuilt AJ45ME for me ..........A NEW CAR!!!!!!!!

totally works for me! I would suggest a 25% increase in cost on her gift. you might be going overboard but with gifts like that, she wouldn't even notice a new guitar [smile]

Why all this concern regarding what the wife has to say about you buying a new guitar? .......................................................... Just checking she's not walked in the room!! ...................................... Tell her it is an investment. The resale value on a good guitar must be far more than on most other items you could buy. A car loses a large percentage when you drive it out of the showroom. A diamond ring will lose even more (unless it's an antique). A holiday - well all you have left is the memories and the photos (can't put a value on that really - but there's no resale value). If you can afford it buy it and the same for anything she wants - don't get into any debt though! You are only here the once do as much as you can to fulfill your dreams and other's dreams - as long as you don't do any harm on the way.

Why all this concern regarding what the wife has to say about you buying a new guitar? .......................................................... Just checking she's not walked in the room!! ......................................

[lol]

Why all this concern regarding what the wife has to say about you buying a new guitar? .......................................................... Just checking she's not walked in the room!! ...................................... Tell her it is an investment. The resale value on a good guitar must be far more than on most other items you could buy. A car loses a large percentage when you drive it out of the showroom. A diamond ring will lose even more (unless it's an antique). A holiday - well all you have left is the memories and the photos (can't put a value on that really - but there's no resale value). If you can afford it buy it and the same for anything she wants - don't get into any debt though! You are only here the once do as much as you can to fulfill your dreams and other's dreams - as long as you don't do any harm on the way.

I don't think she cares about resale value but all told she would and will be ok with it when I get mine. Just jokin about having to get her something of greater value.....................I hope.

Archived