Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-45ME - VSS

mgrasso

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the back of the neck is satin also it comes plek'd. Also for any one living in Canada the Epiphone AJ-45ME started with a price of 729.00 it is now 799.00 thanks to our dollar taken a **** kick'n. I never have bought a guitar without trying it first but i did on this one and kind of glad I did with the 70.00 dollar difference. I was told yesterday we won't see it until mid June or the end and they could not guarantee that. The guy I usually deal with said that USA first then Canada is how it goes most of the time.

Yes the back of the neck is satin also it comes plek'd. Also for any one living in Canada the Epiphone AJ-45ME started with a price of 729.00 it is now 799.00 thanks to our dollar taken a **** kick'n. I never have bought a guitar without trying it first but i did on this one and kind of glad I did with the 70.00 dollar difference. I was told yesterday we won't see it until mid June or the end and they could not guarantee that. The guy I usually deal with said that USA first then Canada is how it goes most of the time.

I see on the EPI website, the guitars listed by price and the AJ-45ME is listed same as or less than the Inspired by Texan. My opinion for us fellow Canucks is to watch who we buy from. My local Epi dealer says he can't and hasn't seen these yet, so disappointed here in northern ontario

You could always try some Rothko and Frost burnishing cream - it buffed up my Gibson LPJ a treat [thumbup]

Hmmm...interesting...

I'm pretty pumped to play one of these. I can't believe I've been so "name-driven" over the years while picking up guitars. Thank God for stumbling on my G&L ASAT and Texan this last year!

Now...how can I convince the wife?

Edit: After skimming this topic again, I've found quite a bit of advice on convincing the wife!

You trying to say that the Epi is not a name or something? - That's fighting talk here!! :rolleyes:[lol]

Ha! Not at all! I guess I'm saying, I was such a snob. Or maybe clueless is a better term. Or close-minded. Whatever the case, I'm glad I've changed.

Ha! Not at all! I guess I'm saying, I was such a snob. Or maybe clueless is a better term. Or close-minded. Whatever the case, I'm glad I've changed.

You were beginning to dig a deeper hole there, for a time, but you recused it in the end[thumbup]

A recording of the Masterbilt AJ-45ME starts at abut 2' 44".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=304&v=Kja2KbnBk8M

Hi Red...Sounds kinda like a J-45 I guess ...but I notice that the bridge is shown reversed on the epi J-45 masterbilt web site, and also on Dr Epiphones video introducing it... ...yet this video shows a standard (not upside down Gibson style) bridge. Very curious.

Hi Red...Sounds kinda like a J-45...but I notice that the bridge is shown reversed on the epi J-45 masterbilt web site, and also on Dr Epiphones video introducing it... ...yet this video shows a standard (not upside down Gibson style) bridge. Very curious.

I noticed the same thing. The standard bridge makes the pickguard look more like it fits in the space, too. It's not too close to the bridge. Also, the fretboard inlay dots look smaller than we see in the photos.

Hi Red...Sounds kinda like a J-45...but I notice that the bridge is shown reversed on the epi J-45 masterbilt web site, and also on Dr Epiphones video introducing it... ...yet this video shows a standard (not upside down Gibson style) bridge. Very curious.

Yes, the Martin-style bridge is very unusual for a J-45. Typically, the belly on a J-45 points up. However, Gibson did use the belly-down style in the very late '60s, just before changing the guitar to a square-shoulder model. The bat-wing style pickguard would have been in use then, so perhaps it a purposeful nod to that time-period (though it's not thought to be a particularly good one for the J-45).

Red 333

Finally and worth the wait the guitar sounds amazing even capoed on the third and it had a nice all around tone. Thank you Red and thank you Epiphone

Did we listen to the same clip? The sound from that was a disappointment in my book, maybe it was the mic setup... maybe it was the guitar. Who knows besides the people that were there and from the looks of things it wasn't even the same guitar they'll be releasing to the public or at least my fingers are crossed that it wasn't. [thumbdn]

Did we listen to the same clip? The sound from that was a disappointment in my book, maybe it was the mic setup... maybe it was the guitar. Who knows besides the people that were there and from the looks of things it wasn't even the same guitar they'll be releasing to the public or at least my fingers are crossed that it wasn't. [thumbdn]

A recording of the Masterbilt AJ-45ME starts at abut 2' 44".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=304&v=Kja2KbnBk8M

I'm starting to feel like I've/we've been had - If I saw that clip cold (without any knowledge of a Masterbilt AJ-45ME) then I would not have really noticed the guitar, other than to think "what's she playing?" in an anorak/trainspotting sort of way!! That guitar is not what I/we were waiting for and to say it is a new model, Epiphone have not even attempted to make a good job of showing it at its best to the buying public. All I could hear was someone bashing out chords and a country whine. Sorry if I have offended anyone - but I am now seriously considering forking out the extra and getting a Gibson J15 or even saving for the real thing.

It sounds like an old-time acoustic guitar to me. Also, her playing style is not my playing style. I watched the clip on my tv and on my computer. The guitar doesn't have the masterbilt huge overtones sound. Rather, it has that dry, immediate, Gibson tone I like so much. Kinda like my Texan.

It sounds like an old-time acoustic guitar to me. Also, her playing style is not my playing style. I watched the clip on my tv and on my computer. The guitar doesn't have the masterbilt huge overtones sound. Rather, it has that dry, immediate, Gibson tone I like so much. Kinda like my Texan.

I hear ya cliffenstein, I'll wait until we get a decent demo on youtube before I cancel my order - but, up to now, I am very disappointed with what I've seen.

Archived